Lower Back Pain... Please Advice!

Romesh

Hi Cricket Lovers,
I am a right arm medium bowler and right handed batsman. I have observed that now whenever I bowl I experience extreme pain in the lower back on the right side. Although, I do stretch and warm up before the practice. Also, I stretch my back by lying on stomach and lifting the torso straight up.
I do not know what change I have made in my bowling action, if that is causing it. Now, if I stretch the torso towards the right, it causes pain.
With the new season round the corner I want to be able to bowl and get rid of the pain (or minimize it at least) Appreciate any suggestions, advises, help with this.
Cheers,
Romesh

"Extreme pain" is pretty simple - refer yourself to a doctor or physio. Someone qualified needs to take a proper look at you to find out what's broken.

Then once it's fixed the next step is to stop it happening again.

Micoach, what I meant was that I feel a sting at that point but it goes away in a day or two. Doesn't happen while I am batting or fielding. If there is an exercise that you can suggest that strengthens the lower back, I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Yes, there are many rehabilitation, post rehab and general strengthening exercises. However your body is telling you something.

Before you can prevent you need to cure.

You are suffering actual pain. Don't play with pain, see an expert.

Once you have the source of the pain resolved you can start to look at preventing it in future. Generally this is an all round programme focusing on stabilising the spine in a variety of ways; looking at your action, look at how well you move generally, looking at how mobile and stable your joints are and programming appropriately.

But really, go see a medical person.

Really.

This does not sound like a classic pace bowling injury but feel free to post a video and I can check.

I am 99% sure I know what your issue is but without more information I cannot be more definite so cannot give any advice... other than stop 'stretching' your your torso the way you describe... it is making the issue worse!

Hi Liz, sorry I could not respond earlier.
There are people who run to a doctor for every small niggle and take allopathic (or whatever) medicines for everything. I am not one of them. (More on that some other time)
Well, I did some research on the pain areas and got to know some lower back exercises. Added those to my daily routine and now I bowl pain free. It feels great.
Thanks

Lower back pain that comes and then goes...could be one of two issues...both of which need a Doctor. First is muscle damage that may simple need 4 to 6 weeks rest to recuperate, second is a pinched nerve...third could be more sinister and involve damage to a disc causing discomfort. I would say try resting for a couple of weeks or more then trying again, if its still there see a Doctor. Well I would recommend seeing a Dr straight away but doubt you will :)

Lower back pain that comes and then goes...could be one of two issues...both of which need a Doctor. First is muscle damage that may simple need 4 to 6 weeks rest to recuperate, second is a pinched nerve...third could be more sinister and involve damage to a disc causing discomfort. I would say try resting for a couple of weeks or more then trying again, if its still there see a Doctor. Well I would recommend seeing a Dr straight away but doubt you will :)

I agree that its in the best interest of a person to seek professional advice, and take my words I am not against that or something. But how I deal is to try to understand as in what went wrong or what can be done to avoid it. I seek logic, and in my case it probably was the weakness of lower back that could not take the sudden strain while bowling. I started my regime and now the season has started and with around 7 games (7 weeks) down, I am going good (touch wood)... Thanks, Romesh

Hi Romesh,

Hopefully it was just a pulled muscle or ligament or something, Im glad your doing well and playing with no problems :)

Back