Lower Back Pain

SteveyD

Lower Back Pain

Hmm
Right

Basically, I had nets last thursday and since sleeping after net session I have had a wierd kind of pain in my back, Its almost crippling at times, and then other times I wont notice It.
I'm not sure if its cricket sourced or work related :\ shouldn't be work related as nothing ever weighs more than about 4-5 KG

Essentially the pain spot is just above the muscle in the lower back , and slightly on my right hand side, If I arc my back forwards slightly, the pain goes away, same as if i slouch in a chair and arc the other way.
Any ideas?

Re: Lower Back Pain

SteveyD;400675 said:
...shouldn't be work related as nothing ever weighs more than about 4-5 KG...

The actual weight really does not matter but the way it is lifted does.

However, I suspect if you pulled a muscle at work, you probably would have noticed it during nets.

SteveyD;400675 said:
...Essentially the pain spot is just above the muscle in the lower back, and slightly on my right hand side...

Trying to get a more precise area, I know we are talking back but can you tell me if the pain is more or less level with the tummy button?

Also, were you batting or bowling [mainly] in the nets? Am I right in believing you are a spin bowler? Are you left handed?

When was the last time you picked up the guitar and for how long?

Are you tri training at the moment?

Liz Ward;400682 said:
The actual weight really does not matter but the way it is lifted does.
I am fine with lifting, have always bent my knees and carried stuff properly. Am currently working at john lewis and most stuff comes in cages so its literally just hanging stuff up and the like.
However, I suspect if you pulled a muscle at work, you probably would have noticed it during nets.
Also I would have thought it would have hurt whilst working again since?

Trying to get a more precise area, I know we are talking back but can you tell me if the pain is more or less level with the tummy button?
Maybe a couple of inches or so above belly button by going sort of around

Also, were you batting or bowling [mainly] in the nets? Am I right in believing you are a spin bowler? Are you left handed?
I'm a right handed spin bowler. The way we run nets basically means that would have been bowling mainly
When was the last time you picked up the guitar and for how long?
I practise guitar sitting down usually whilst writing songs and learning, so no real weight on the neck. Hadn't had a proper band practise for around a week before due to bandmate on holiday.
Are you tri training at the moment?
Yes. I have a race on saturday, partly why I'm a bit unsure.
Have been focussing on swimming and cycling, have only done 2 or 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. Am now resting until saturday, in the hope that i'll feel fit enough to race!

SteveyD;400683 said:
I am fine with lifting, have always bent my knees and carried stuff properly. Am currently working at john lewis and most stuff comes in cages so its literally just hanging stuff up and the like.

It is more the 'rotation' when lifting that concerns me but, yes, I think we can eliminate work related.

SteveyD;400683 said:
Maybe a couple of inches or so above belly button by going sort of around

This sounds like the thoracic area. Have you fallen on your back at all in the last month or so?

SteveyD;400683 said:
I practise guitar sitting down usually whilst writing songs and learning, so no real weight on the neck. Hadn't had a proper band practise for around a week before due to bandmate on holiday.

Again, it was more to do with posture than weight. When you stop to write, do you keep your paper on your right?

SteveyD;400683 said:
Yes. I have a race on saturday, partly why I'm a bit unsure.
Have been focussing on swimming and cycling, have only done 2 or 3 runs in the last 2 weeks. Am now resting until saturday, in the hope that i'll feel fit enough to race!

I don't expect swimming or cycling to be the issue... unless you butterfly?

Is there any way you can post a video of your bowling for us to have a look at?

Just in case it is the bowling, give it a rest until you can get to the bottom of the problem.

Liz Ward;400684 said:
It is more the 'rotation' when lifting that concerns me but, yes, I think we can eliminate work related.

This sounds like the thoracic area. Have you fallen on your back at all in the last month or so?
Hmm
I did fall down my mates stairs last monday, so maybe that could be a cause.

Again, it was more to do with posture than weight. When you stop to write, do you keep your paper on your right?
I usually sit at my computer desk and "click" it into some music software

I don't expect swimming or cycling to be the issue... unless you butterfly?
Nah its only a modified crawl (very little legs in it , only for buoyancy)
Is there any way you can post a video of your bowling for us to have a look at?
not for a week or so, video camera is off being repaired :(
Just in case it is the bowling, give it a rest until you can get to the bottom of the problem.
A sound plan!

SteveyD;400685 said:
...not for a week or so, video camera is off being repaired :(

No worries. I'm not convinced it's cricket related.

It could be the fall. You could have caused a little damage that was brought out by the bowling.

I think resting until the weekend may help [you can still run and cycle but go easy on the upper body when swimming]. If there is a bit of swelling, ice it and make sure you do a good warm up prior to the race.

If this is still causing you problems next week, it may be wise to get it checked out for a little fracture.

Hi hewer, welcome to the forum :).

It depends on:
  • your current fitness/strength levels;
  • any deficit in your back muscles; and
  • which muscles need strengthening.
If you are talking generally, and for somebody in their twenties, you cannot beat the gym [or a good set of dumb/barbells], or a good cable set up:
  • Good morning;
  • bent-over row;
  • cable row;
  • one-arm row;
  • shrug;
Or,
  • pull-up;
  • lat pull-down;
  • two-point box ... ... ... ...
However, if you are talking rehabilitation, that is a different matter and I would need to know what we are talking about. Most exercises, including those above, work quite a few muscles and they may not be indicated.

Also, I would not go into the gym with low fitness/strength levels without a personal trainer. Best to build up the back with bodyweight exercises first to gain a reasonable all over condition.

If its pure strength then liz has a good post
In terms of aerobic excercise for back I would say rowing (in a good technique is 90% legs 5% core 5% arms) also what about cycling in terms of muscle flexibility ? Liz, perhaps you can clarify me here?
I am a keen cyclist so I may be biased, but by riding a bike and therefore constant balance changes would that help your core body balance and flexibility?

SteveyD;403402 said:
If its pure strength then liz has a good post
In terms of aerobic excercise for back I would say rowing (in a good technique is 90% legs 5% core 5% arms) also what about cycling in terms of muscle flexibility ? Liz, perhaps you can clarify me here?
I am a keen cyclist so I may be biased, but by riding a bike and therefore constant balance changes would that help your core body balance and flexibility?

On the topic of cycling, as I am also a cyclist (although not so much these days as I concentrate more on strength and power for baseball rather than aerobic endurance), does the slouching and the posture required for aerodynamic riding cause long-term damage to the back? I find I often have a sore back after riding, but it normally goes away after a couple of hours off the bike. Just wondering.

I am a huge fan of rowing and always use it as a warm up in my programmes. However, if I write a strengthening session, I will concentrate on strength [possibly power, depending on the sport].

I understand what SteveyD is saying and, technically, he is absolutely right but I distinguish the difference between cardio and strength and use them differently.

The back should have little to do with cycling; it does not move [or should not] and needs to be relaxed. If you suffer soreness Boris, it may be due to tension or the wrong posture. The back should be flat as you hinge at the hip... definitely not slouching :).

Cycling is great cardio work and great for the legs, just remember the cool down and stretches afterwards... although, not that easy if you have to dive straight into a pool :D.

Hello to you all

and thanks for that reply Liz, much appreciated

I been playing cricket for 18 years, started wicket keeping when i was 15, only then I found out that I was born with a 6th lower lumber vertebra (dunno it's scientific name)... Since then (about 16yo) I have constant day in day out lower / mid back pain, oh and I don't keep anymore...

I'm 25yo, fairly fit, no athlete machine but I'd say I'm at your average fitness level, I go to the gym but because of my lower spine / muscles that don't really support me thaaaat well I'm at a limit to what I do... At the moment I'd be doing

Lat pull down
Bench
Tri / Bi
Legs
Running / row / bike for cardio

Nothing seems to help my cause :(

And no, not getting into a pool lol...

This is a very interesting case hewer.

Having a sixth lumbar vertebra is one of the most common congenital lower back anomalies, and rarely the cause of back issues. However, if it is 'sacralised' it can create pseudoarticulation, in which case it may cause pain and degenerative changes.

I wonder if you can tell me why/how your extra vertibra came to light. Was this a post injury investigation?

Liz Ward;403465 said:
This is a very interesting case hewer.

Having a sixth lumbar vertebra is one of the most common congenital lower back anomalies, and rarely the cause of back issues. However, if it is 'sacralised' it can create pseudoarticulation, in which case it may cause pain and degenerative changes.

I wonder if you can tell me why/how your extra vertibra came to light. Was this a post injury investigation?

I had xray's on my chest or torso region and the DR when looking at the films then picked it up, he then sent me off for more pictures to confirm...

What do you mean by "sacralised"?

I just googled it, and correct me if I'm wrong, basically it means fused to another part of the body? In which case, yes (LOL) it's fused on the right side to my pelvis... If I remeber correctly the DR had stated that it has created another joint between the L6 and pelvis...

Sorry hewer... yes, that is what I meant :).

The fact that you have a 6th lumbar vertebra is not an issue; the fact that it is sacralised is.

Did you get any physio at the time?

The problem with this condition is that it can cause other conditions. Do you know of any? These can include kyphosis, lordosis, scoliosis, hernias etc.

I would really recommend getting another MRI to ascertain whether any of these issues, or others, are present or are developing. It would be a good idea to be referred to a chiropractor too and/or a soft tissue therapist.

You really need to learn how to deal with this condition early; there is so much that can be done to eleviate the discomfort but this can be a degenerative disorder... don't wait until irreparable damage has ocurred before you seek a programme.

As for back strengthening exercises, I would be reluctant to suggest anything without seeing the scan, or at least getting a current comprehensive report.

However, please do not hesitate to ask any more questions.

i will seek further advise for now... i might get the scans done and see whats going on in there 100% and get back to you

Back