MacGill quits

Ljp86

Staff member
MacGill quits

Stuart MacGill will retire from international cricket after the completion of the second test against West Indies having struggled to make an impact during the current tour of the Caribbean. MacGill went on to state that "his time was up."

"As I said many times last summer, there is no way I will ever walk onto a cricket field unless I can guarantee that I can dismiss top order batsmen consistently. The prospect of letting myself and the team down is simply not an option. I have worked way too hard for too long to sabotage my achievements by playing Test cricket for the wrong reasons."

MacGill to retire after second test

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well that just threw a spanner into the works, I thought Stuey might be able to go around for a while yet but he hasn't looked too good so far in the Caribbean and is probably making the right decision to end it now rather than be dropped later on. Disappointing for Stuey really, he was a fantastic bowler and would have been the leading spinner in any other international side had he not been an Australian. Unfortunately for MacGill, the best leg-spinner in the world happened to be in the same generation as him - the one and only Shane Warne.

His retirement will raise an interesting debate though. Who will take MacGill's position? This was discussed numerous times over the summer and a host of candidates were mentioned. Beau Casson is over there now and he would be the obvious choice for the third test. The selectors could go a different way altogether and play either Ashley Noffke or Doug Bolllinger thus going with five quicks for the final test. And with Michael Clarke taking two important wickets with his left-arm spinners yesterday it appears that five quicks may be a possibility although a small one at that.

That position will no doubt be a hotly contested one now, Casson will probably have first crack but there are quite a few others who will also be in contention. Aaron Heal and Xavier Doherty would right up there but are more suited to one-dayers. Nathan Hauritz has been tried but was outbowled by Michael Clarke on that tour of India in that game where the ball would turn at right angles. Hauritz's name will no doubt come up again and then there are a host of others.

Interesting times ahead.

Re: MacGill quits

I thought McGain might get the call up as the replacement.

Apparently not.

http://cricket.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=41441

Cricket Australia Deputy Chairman Jack Clarke, currently in the West Indies said MacGill had been a great player for Australia.

“While it is a sad occasion to see Stuart MacGill depart the game, Australia has been incredibly lucky to have two brilliant leg-spinners on the international scene at the same time,” Clarke said.

“Stuart’s record at international level is quite outstanding with over 200 Test wickets and he will depart this Australia side as one of the greats of the game.”

MacGill is yet to make a decision on wether he will continue to play interstate cricket with New South Wales.

A replacement player will not be sent from Australia for the remaining Test match to be played in Barbados.

Irrespective, I would like to see Casson make his debut.

Interesting that we won't be sending anyone over. Is that a sign that Cricket Australia feel that we don't have any suitable players to fill the void left by MacGill? Our spinners stock is very short, very very short.

McGain wouldn't go as they would be replacing like for like. He is old and wouldn't have long in the international arena, if he is probably the best spinning option we have going in first class cricket

Guru™;219436 said:
Interesting that we won't be sending anyone over. Is that a sign that Cricket Australia feel that we don't have any suitable players to fill the void left by MacGill? Our spinners stock is very short, very very short.

McGain wouldn't go as they would be replacing like for like. He is old and wouldn't have long in the international arena, if he is probably the best spinning option we have going in first class cricket

Yes he is quite old, but if his the best we have and no one else is doing a lot, even for a short term fix I'm not sure why we wouldn't take him over their. We cannot rely on Andrew Symmonds to bowl 25 overs every innings can we ?

Or SK Warne could come out of retirement :) It would be another twist in his already amazing story line.

So he has retired mid series to seemingly try and get his NSW team mate a game, surely the Australian selectors arent really that desperate are they that they would play Casson?

But looking great for next years Ashes, for a change there is no spinner England has to worry about, we should win 5-0 now :D

Back