Mark Vermeulen Interview

Re: Mark Vermeulen Interview

fascinating stuff. you would think fear of a bouncer at 140 clicks with the threat to kill you would put you off coming back to international cricket, but you must admire his passion for the game. it will be interesting to see what he is remembered most for, his passion or his indiscretions towards cricket.

Its pretty easy to write Vermeulen off as a psychopath who should be behind bars. Lord knows I did it before reading about the facts. Now, its just tough not to feel sorry for him. Its an issue that will no doubt divide opinion.

I can't say I like the guy from the impressions I have gotten from him, but there's a difference between not liking him because he's a little bit of a prick, to him having those things happen in his life and for him to go through those things and to come out the other side having done something terrible and then not liking him.

IMO he's kinda like Shane Watson to use him as an example. He is a very good player, just takes the game seriously.

But you don't see Watson burning down academies, that is because Vermeulen had the other troubles.

Now he has gone from being 'Watson' to 'Psychopath' and now I believe he is back to 'Watson' again. Going to be chirpy on the field, going to have a temper, might step over the line occasionally, but he isn't going to be burning down buildings anymore. He is back to his normal personality, if that makes sense, which isn't the best you could ever see.

This is great news for him and for Zimbabwean cricket because he is a fine talent and it will be great seeing him play again.

Back