masuri helmets vs albion helmets

Masuri or Albion - Which is the better helmet?

• Masuri

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Albion

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Other (please say below)

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Re: masuri helmets vs albion helmets

Not much in it I reckon. Masuri were where the helmet of choice when I was younger. Albion took over and ruled the roost for a while but with so many companies making their own the market is diluted somewhat.

Latest versions from both companies; so people can have a better idea -

Masuri -
692.jpg

Albion -
1372.jpg

There's just something about the Masuri that tips it over the Albion. Maybe it's because Jayasuriya still wears one! I'm sorry that I'm so biased :p

I have to say that I think Masuri just edges for me as well, maybe it's an old school thing. Really though, I'm not that fussed as long as they do their job and stop me getting pinged.

yeah, my previous helmet was an albion, which i used for a couple of seasons before getting a masuri this year.
imo the masuris look better and fit my head better, but the albions are comfortable all the same.

albions new version i think is just plain ugly, imo the previous version looks way better
j13hib.jpg

that helmet being much the same of the one i used

The new Albion helmet aside, I've never had a problem with them. And until that new monstrosity appeared they never really looked that bad... Until the new helmet appeared.

So in terms of their latest models, I think Masuri wins.

The Albion I included is their top end model, the mid and lower range are similar to the one C-C put up.

ive not tried a Masuri, but i have an Albion. i tried on just about every other type of helmet apart from a Masuri before buying (the cheapest Masuri in the shop was £20 more expensive than the Albion, and im not a batsman). the Albion was easily the most comfortable on my head. that is going to be a matter of preference though, id imagine head shape comes into play.

2 things i dont particularly like about the Albion though is the chin strap (which is just never comfortable, no matter how loose or tight i have it, or where i position it on my chin). and secondly, the ear foam pieces. they dont properly fit into the grille, they always pop back out. in the end ive completely wrapped mine with insulating tape to keep them in place, but they protrude less than they should so will be of less effect if i get hit in that area (im hoping i never do lol).

i do however really like the foam inserts inside the helmet so that you can adjust the fit in every direction. my helmet is slightly too large so ive doubled up the foam (stuck the big ones to the small ones) and now it sits very nicely.

I used to have an Albion when I was 13/14 (now 43!!) it was green (Go Australia) and had that large polycarbonate full face guard with the large holes in it. The face guard continually got caught on the point of my shoulder as I played drives. In the end I got so frustrated with it, I just left off. Hardly anyone wore them in juniors then. My Son who is now 12 has to wear them or no play. Boy how times have changed!! Must admit he's at me all the time to buy one and I have both Masuri & Albion in the picture. Its a hard choice.

Not a fan of the new types as stated by previous posters. I like the traditional types of helmets, and not the Tony Greig St Peter type. Looked like an open face motorcycle helmet!!

Don't forget that there are other makes out there which do the job just as well. However, Albion and Masuri are the big brands when it comes to helmets.

Helmets should always be selected IMO predominately on the safety they provide. Albion is probably the leading brand in this regad, they have been around for a very long time and produce helmets that offer as much safety as possible.

The traditional design that Albion used has been complemented by a new design which was introduced in early 2002, so it has been around for a while now.

Both designs are still available if you know where to look.

Here is a link to the albion website showing the different helmets.

Albion Sports: About Us: Cricket & Sports Protection

I have had dealings with both Albion and Masuri and really find it hard to beleive that people even compare the helmets. To Albions credit they have spent money on developing helmets and Masuri have the same old helmet from 20 years ago. Albion were also the first to design a cricket helmet in the 70s.

I know what helmet i would prefer to get hit on the head with

I currently own a masuri, and I would always take one over Albion, but I think Ayrtek is the helmet of the future. Affordable, customisable, stylish, and very good protection-wise!

tom from ayrtek is working on a more classically-shaped helmet, so i can see that being a hit in the future. i have to say, at first, i was with you on that, but it's definitely grown on me! and their softs are quality, bats aren't too bad either from what i remember!

i just got a albion original 98 because jayawardene has one lol. it feels comfortable enough.

Back