matches that might've been fixed

Roy00

matches that might've been fixed

2009 Champions Trophy: Australia vs Pakistan....
Andrew Moore was a lone voice at the time who called into question Pakistan's tactics in the field as Australia somehow won this match

2009 Champions Trophy: Pakistan vs New Zealand
almost definitely fixed

2010 2nd Test, Australia vs Pakistan.
little doubt about this one

2010 T20 World Cup Semi Final: Australia vs Pakistan....
stunning comeback by Australia from nowhere. almost certainly fixed.

2010 2nd Test, Sri Lanka vs India:
a fading Murali manages to grab exactly 800 Test wickets in his final test. a candidate for spot fixing this one. possibly players from both teams involved.

2010 1st Test Pakistan v Australia:
Umar Gul bowled a lot of no balls for such a skillful bowler. Match possibly thrown also as Australia were on the back foot early. Some suicidal batting by the Pakistanis. Likely thrown to increase odds for the second test.

2010 3rd Test England v Pakistan:
spot fixing rife here as Cook brings up a century via a throw from the bowler which sails 3 metres over the keepers head. a first time for everything, so it seemed.

2010 4th Test England v Pakistan

calls into question also the few achievements the Australian team have managed under the Ponting/Nielson/Hilditch regime. their KPIs would not look so good if the fixed matches vs Pakistan were factored into the equation.

Re: matches that might've been fixed

At this point in time things are still allegations. I'd like to wait for the results on the latest occurences before properly analysing things, but I would like to say one thing.

If all of these are really fixed, then does that mean every sensational win is fixed? I think it's jumping the gun a little by saying that everything slightly unusual is fixed, after all it is cricket and what makes a sport a good sport is the ability for the comeback from nowhere.

I would also like to comment on the Murali 800 wickets thing. I watched that match and I must say it didn't look fixed at all. Murali took a long, long time to get his 799th and 800th and at the other end the other Sri Lankan bowlers were not holding back at all. There were near misses, blistering bouncers and plenty of LBW shouts, all of which could have been out and would mean that Murali would have finished on 799 or 798. Just my two cents on that individual one.

Boris;407171 said:
At this point in time things are still allegations. I'd like to wait for the results on the latest occurences before properly analysing things, but I would like to say one thing.

If all of these are really fixed, then does that mean every sensational win is fixed? I think it's jumping the gun a little by saying that everything slightly unusual is fixed, after all it is cricket and what makes a sport a good sport is the ability for the comeback from nowhere.

I would also like to comment on the Murali 800 wickets thing. I watched that match and I must say it didn't look fixed at all. Murali took a long, long time to get his 799th and 800th and at the other end the other Sri Lankan bowlers were not holding back at all. There were near misses, blistering bouncers and plenty of LBW shouts, all of which could have been out and would mean that Murali would have finished on 799 or 798. Just my two cents on that individual one.

fixed 700 to 800 for accuracy
:cool:

i watched a lot of that match too

as for sensational wins...well it seems a little too coincidental that Pakistan were involved in nearly all of them, and in such a short period of time.

That match is hardly fixed. They needed 48 from 18 balls, then 34 from 12 and 18 from 6.

Hussey had to do something unbelievable for the result to come off, 60 off 24 balls, there is no room for error.

This thread's probably jumping the gun a bit. There's no real way to know that these games were fixed. As far as we know, only certain parts of the 4th test were fixed through the no-balls and such, the rest we don't really know.

Oh yeah, let's consider all sensational comebacks and wins in matches involving sub-continental teams to be fixed. Jumping the gun much? :rolleyes:

By your "logic" (or lack thereof), THAT ODI between Australia and South Africa might have been fixed too. After all, what are the odds of 800 runs being scored in an ODI? And the team batting 2nd winning...

The only confirmed fixed matches in the recent past so far are:

Sydney test - the fixers made 1.3 million £ from that match (NOTW report)

Asia Cup match - Pak vs. Sri Lanka - fixers made 850'000 £ (Again News of The World report)

Both of these fixes have been confirmed by the person arrested by the police for this 'betting scam' (now released on bail without charge)

EDIT: Alright, just heard that the Scotland Yard's report has concluded that upto 80 matches could've been fixed O_O

OhMyGodTheChips;407181 said:

That match is hardly fixed. They needed 48 from 18 balls, then 34 from 12 and 18 from 6.

Hussey had to do something unbelievable for the result to come off, 60 off 24 balls, there is no room for error.

professional cricketers can score very quickly if the bowling (and fielding) allows it
this is often taken for granted.

Roy00;407220 said:
professional cricketers can score very quickly if the bowling (and fielding) allows it
this is often taken for granted.

You're kidding yourself. He went at just under 3 runs per delivery.

Remember there is not a single match that has been officially reported as fixed. Everything is still allegations. It is jumping the gun a little, at least wait until some sort of report comes out detailing things, until then they are just conspiracy theories.

For a bookie to successfuly fix something in a match, as little people as possible should know about it. It of course would be easier if you got two whole teams in on the deal, but try as they might there are still people in this world that abide by their morals and would speak up about it, uncovering everything.

Therefore a lot of these accusations are mostly impossible. If the T20 WC semi-final was fixed, that means Hussey and the fielding side would have had to be in on it, and seriously who would see Hussey fixing a match?

It is practically impossible for a match to be fixed to the extent that the result is swayed without it being uncovered. If you order a batting team to collapse that means the whole side must be in on it, plus you still have to make it look inconspicuous.

The only fixing I can see as more certain are the small spot-fixes, such as no balls at exact times. I've also heard bets on things such as how many times the wicket-keeper will take the bails off in an innings. If the bet is 9 and the keeper has only managed 5 by the end of the 45th over of an ODI, the next 4 will come pretty quickly for even the silliest of reasons.

These sorts of things must be caught out and the players penalised very harshly. But for the moment, at least these things aren't affecting the matches as such and the uproar isn't as necessary, I'm sure those little things have been happening for decades.

Hussey doesn't have to be in on it. He is a quality player and should put away the bad ball, the fact is, the bowling wasn't that bad and the room for error is too great a risk for it to be fixed as such.

The easiest way to fix the match is for the bowlers to under perform or the batsmen to under perform. You can't rely on someone over performing such as Hussey did for a fix to come off.

OhMyGodTheChips;407315 said:
Hussey doesn't have to be in on it. He is a quality player and should put away the bad ball, the fact is, the bowling wasn't that bad and the room for error is too great a risk for it to be fixed as such.

The easiest way to fix the match is for the bowlers to under perform or the batsmen to under perform. You can't rely on someone over performing such as Hussey did for a fix to come off.

I have never once in my life seen Hussey hit like that, even the best T20 player in the world may not have been able to pull that off on cue like that. As you said you can't fix that, all it would have taken is one ball and he could have holed out and the plan is gone. What if Clarke happened to be on strike for that final over? No amount of bad balls would have seen him do that. That just all came down to luck.

Back