Mental barriers

AUSSIE_BOY

Mental barriers

hey guys,

The new season is about 2 start up... ive mentioned on here before that a few seasons ago, in a grand final... a bouncer broke my nose in 2 places and left me with a decent concussion...

the result of that is now my game lacks all back foot shots to the on side... ive completely lost my pull and hook and they both, were once the strength in my form....

i notice now that i anticipate the short ball which leads to silly shots on good length deliveries...
Ive tried all that i can think... even endless throwdowns in the nets to get me on my back foot and still..... nothing.

im not conciously worried about the bouncer or being hit by it, but i cant help playing this way now....

any ideas coz im stumped

Re: Mental barriers

just duck i would say... but that doesnt help.

are you a batsman? if you are what position do you bat normally? also what protective gear do you use?

for starters i suggest for the physical side of things get as much protection for your upper body as comfortably possible. rib guards, big arm guard, good helmet.

i am not too certain at the moment what to do mentally. i will go back through a few papers of mine and others and see about it.

i will get back to you very soon.

boris,

i open the bowling and bat from 3-5 depending on the team...

protective gear=

pads, gloves, box, helmet and thigh gaurd

i greatly appreciate your help

Why have you lost those shots? Just a mental thing or something more serious?

If it's mental then it's going to be a case of building up confidence through practice, starting off from the very beginning and working your way up. Start off with tennis balls and so on.

It may also help to write or verbalise your thoughts as you bat; try to make sense of what you're feeling etc. Though you say you don't fear the short ball, there may well be some trepidation simply because of what happened, something which is fully understandable.

This is a mental problem that many batmen deal with at certain times of their career. If it makes you feel any better, I was put in hospital in last years Grand Final by a spitting bumper. Depressed cheekbone and migraines for a couple of days. I dont wear a helmet, never have but now is the time at 40 yo
I may have to. People react differently to these occurences so there is no right or wrong way to approach getting your confidence back. You will have to overcome this from within. I personally cant wait to play against this bowler again and give him some of his own back and more. I still may not come out on top but thats cricket. If I was struggling mentally but really wanted to overcome this lack of confidence I would set up a bowling machine to come at head height and bat until it could no longer beat me.

okay the story of how it got through the helmet;

2 things contributed..

1. i had recently adjusted my grill, by just dropping it slightly 2 allow for better sight... i understood that a ball could come through in a freak chance that it hits the perfect angle.... The ball was a very tight fit..

2. It just so happens that the bowler was clocked at 135 in a training session at his club nets = | So with that force it easily made its way through....

i assure you now that my nose DOES NOT resemble bill lawry lol.. and i also assure that the my grill is now back in its proper position

Hi A_B,

I am really sorry to hear about the bump but you should always remember, even if there is only a freak chance... it's a chance and bound to happen one day, almost like a time bomb ;)

You may not feel at any risk but your subconscious thinks differently. It is something I come across often, even at Olympic standard so don't worry about it.

All you can do is prepare, prepare, prepare and then when you are through preparing, prepare some more :)

Firstly, make sure the grill is in the optimum position for protection, learn to look through it.

Work on your mental skills preparation, have another look at Do you have the mental toughness to be a great cricketer? | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips and try the imagery and self hypnosis. You need to work on these regularly, not just once. You need to replace the memory in you subconscious with something more pleasant. Visualise the same situation over and over again but give it a different ending; perhaps attacking the ball for a square 6!

If this fails to work quick enough, you could try acupuncture or regular hypnosis but whatever you do, do not underestimate the ability of the subconscious.

thanks liz... i was just about to write out about a 1000 word essay.

thats pretty much what i was going to say. i can do light hypnosis therapy myself but im not sure it works over the internet...

thanks alot guy for all your help...

ill give the imagery etc. a go over the next 2 weeks and then try a net session and let you all know how it goes..

Boris;359644 said:
thanks liz... i was just about to write out about a 1000 word essay.

thats pretty much what i was going to say. i can do light hypnosis therapy myself but im not sure it works over the internet...

O, I really am sorry for that Boris, I would have loved to read what you had to say. If you can think of anything else, please add it.

As for hypnosis over the internet, if you ever get it to work, do let me know :)

Liz Ward;359674 said:
O, I really am sorry for that Boris, I would have loved to read what you had to say. If you can think of anything else, please add it.

As for hypnosis over the internet, if you ever get it to work, do let me know :)

thats a good thing, i have other stuff i should be doing like a paper on energy systems right now... i would have been writing all night as i dont give up.

i am happy to help though if there are any troubles just ask, i think i can help some.

well hypnosis, no; light hypnosis therapy, maybe. test subject?

:p

Ah! Energy Systems.

My magnum opus was my several volumed dissertation on energy systems... get off here and concentrate Boris.

Apologies for going off subject :D

well im not at that level yet... just starting out on them.

good advice though... the internet is my downfall

and i apologise more for continuing off subject. :D

alright, so i had a net session 2day.... i've been doing the mental imagery etc. that i was advised to try over the past few night.... I had a net session 2day, and can honestly say, while i didnt face any bouncers... i was not anticipating one coming like i normally do... i felt really comfortable....

will re post after next session

Liz Ward;359642 said:
Hi A_B,

Work on your mental skills preparation, have another look at Do you have the mental toughness to be a great cricketer? | Cricket coaching, fitness and tips and try the imagery and self hypnosis. You need to work on these regularly, not just once. You need to replace the memory in you subconscious with something more pleasant. Visualise the same situation over and over again but give it a different ending; perhaps attacking the ball for a square 6!

If this fails to work quick enough, you could try acupuncture or regular hypnosis but whatever you do, do not underestimate the ability of the subconscious.

This is what I was going to suggest. I'm very interested in Psychology, and from what I've seen and experienced, this is the way to go.

Just think of "Getting even". As Liz said, have confidence in yourself to punish the ball for 6 if it came again.

Start off with Tennis balls, cop a few hits and soon you will associate the ball hitting you with minimal pain. This can help you over come your fear. Move to cricket balls and treat them the same as tennis balls.

breeno;360554 said:
This is what I was going to suggest. I'm very interested in Psychology, and from what I've seen and experienced, this is the way to go.

Just think of "Getting even". As Liz said, have confidence in yourself to punish the ball for 6 if it came again.

Start off with Tennis balls, cop a few hits and soon you will associate the ball hitting you with minimal pain. This can help you over come your fear. Move to cricket balls and treat them the same as tennis balls.

when you move to cricket balls, try not to let them hit you in the head too much though... just a tip :p

Boris;360560 said:
when you move to cricket balls, try not to let them hit you in the head too much though... just a tip :p

Yeah, the idea is that he'd have the confidence up and it wouldn't hit him.:p

Back