Mid-way actions??

phil2oo8

Mid-way actions??

Hi, we all here liz and people talking about mixed actions . I really want to know is a mixed action the same as a mid-way action? I've read from numerous sources that allan donald had a mid-way action.... but could this have affected his pace in anyway? and last of all does anyone know of any videos of bowlers with mid-way actions?

cheers
phil

Re: Mid-way actions??

No... midway actions are not the same as mixed actions.

A midway action is just that... mid way between front on [one extreme] and side on [the other extreme]; there is a huge range between the two. A midway action is quite legitimate.

A mixed action is where one half of your body is front on and the other half is side on. This causes a huge range of problems from reduced pace, as you mentioned, to numerous injury issues.

I have had a scout around for a video but can only find pictures; there are some good ones of Glenn McGrath.

Any angle is fine as long as the entire body faces in the same direction and there is no twisting.

To be honest with you, I would prefer to work with a side on action; there is a lot more I can do with it [biomechanically] in respect of pace. More front on action relies on your own muscle power for pace.

Golly, has that let the cat out of the bag? :laugh:

Would you suggest a physical criterion for side on/front on bowlers? For example, a front on bowler is a larger figure with a strong upper body whereas a side on bowler is more slender with a lot of leg strength*.

*Just for example.

found this article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/05/21/schugh21.xml

Pretty interesting and the more you think about it the more it seems true, with the exception of guys like Flintoff some bowlers really do spray it all over the place. My action is mid way but much more front on orientated than side on and i've bowled some crazy wides this year at times, after reading that i'm gonna work on using my front arm better as it sometimes sorta hangs there loosely as i bring it down meaning my bowling arm does all the work of producing pace and accuracy.

Certainly is a fascinating article... thank you. It brings up so many issues.

As I said earlier, I can make a far better pace bowler out of anybody, whatever their build, with a side on action ;) There is absolutely no reason why a side on action, IF PERFORMED CORRECTLY, should cause stress fractures. The problem is, I have seen so many side on pace bowlers who have spent soooo much time, effort, blood, sweat, tears and their parents money being coached from an outcome perspective. They are fast and accurate but they have mixed actions :( Add on to this that these are usually the guys who will play any match going and bowl as many overs as possible per match, throwing in overuse to the injury equation... you try telling them ;)

Pace and accuracy are not the be all and end all. The problem is, all these young guys learning to bowl are only interested in pace, and if you're lucky accuracy. The question I am always asked is, "How fast did I bowl?". I am never asked, "How pure was that?" I am always asked, "How do I improve my pace?" Rarely asked, "How do I improve my biomechanics?" As you can imagine, I'm a bore ;) I do not believe in working on pace until the action is pure. It is so much easier to get it right at the beginning than to deconstruct and rebuild on an action.

Front on actions are fine but you do have to rely on your upper body strength more to get any decent pace and then you have the problem with balance. You need so much more control of your extremeties and this relies on the strength of your core. You usually find front on bowlers lean more than side on bowlers too.

I really do love the analogy to shooting. I do hope Simon Hughes will not mind me using it :D

"You usually find front on bowlers lean more than side on bowlers too."

So true, been guilty of that - that's when i start bowling wides or shorter. But to me side on feels SO WRONG because my legs naturally go front on and i can actually feel my back twisting in a mixed whenever i've tried this! This thread could be quite useful if it keeps going for me actually being predominantly front on.

Back