Minging and beautiful cricket pitches

someblokecalleddave

Minging and beautiful cricket pitches

Here's another photography based thread. I reckon the team I play for has got to be one of the rougher cricket pitches in the UK. It's over-shadowed by 2 blocks of council flats and the residents hang about outside of the flats with their Rottweilers and Pit Bull terriers riding trials bikes up and down the edge of the pitch as the dogs chase after then snarling and barking. 14 year old girls (Think Vicky Pollard with a East End accent) with their children in push-chairs walk blatantly across the pitch mid game and if confronted tell us where to go using very colourful language. So you get the picture? I'll try and sum up the ambience with some photo's in the near future - but is yours this rough and does it look rough or have you got a picturesque cricket pitch with a church and Oak Trees surrounding it and a lovely pavillion - let's have a look? let's see the good, the bad and the ugly?

Re: Minging and beautiful cricket pitches

Great idea for a thread. When I get back to uni I'll get some snaps of my ground. It's the outfield that's more ugly than anything... damn rugby players!! Last season we had 1 match where there were barely any boundaries due to long rifts in the outfield half a foot deep! Hardly ideal :p

Yeh well some of ours are burnt just short of a length. So judging length can sometimes be trickier than it seems!

Will try and get some photos, but yeh, actually I could get lots of them, but none of the pitch itself as it's now dug up for the VFL team that play on it. I'll google it, actually, then walk down there one day when there's a VFL game on, pity Box Hill Hawks (the team that play on the ground) and Bendigo Bombers (the VFL team that are connected with club I support in AFL) don't play down here, boo.

I think ours classes as Good, Village setting, not a council block for 10 miles! no chavs, no kids, old folks home over looking the ground.... quiet idillic village cricket!
10640.JPG

Everybody is welcome at Widford (The Home of Ware OHcc)!

the more the merrier!

Have a real mixture round by me. Some great, some not so great. I'll try to get some photos as the season goes on for comparison.

Currently play in the grounds of a psychiatric hospital, which is ok. A bit of trouble from kids breaking into the ground but generally it seems ok. Just next to that is another club which is set inside a sort of nature reserve, so that is quite nice as well.

From where I'm used to playing then the grounds tend to be ok, mostly located in villages or small towns so they tend to be quiet with little vandalism. Although, playing in Gloucester can be a challenge at times but it depends on where you are.

My ground was on TV last night! I'll try to get the video but I doubt I can.

I'm playing Sunday so if I take my camera I'll try and get the definitive shot of a minging cricket ground. Locally though to where I live rather than where my team is based there's some lovely grounds including Hockley which I've heard people say is one of the most beautiful in the country - not been there myslef Liz may have done though, she hangs out down these ways?

nice ground that one, canadian grass looks different lol!

Me and 'JoeLillis' play at a nice one will try get some pictures up, should see the outfield though - rolling hills lol catches fielders out pretty often!

someblokecalleddave said:
I like Jonesy's pitch - palm trees and sunshine and I reckon tackle No.3 was the winner!

They were marks ;)

That was the ground on the dryer side of things, and probably the worst side with the car park there, our grandstand and clubrooms are on the other side.

AG23 - the pitch with the wall in Background is that your picth and the others are "Away venues"? It's weird as well that your climate is so extreme - I seem to recall you saying that you were practicing in your house because outside it was 10' deep in snow drifts and minus 28 degrees centigrade and yet the pictures here show you all sitting around in sunshine! How popular is cricket in Canada and what's it's history?

To tell u the truth dave i think thats our home pitch im going for my first year in club cricket, but i asked a guy and he said that was our homepitch. Yeah canada has a lot of temperature changes it was like 5 degrees two weeks ago and now its like 20 degrees and up. Thats why i have cold too! :cry Canada is on the uprise in cricket. its getting there slowly. normally people from the subcontinent play, few englander, and australians. As I said cricket is getting there but it cricket has been around in canada for a long time if u continue on in that club site they say Hamilton cricket clube 18** to 2008 its been there for a while. which i never knew. Normally ppl play for fun(oh yeah forgot to tell u lots of West indian players here also) and for Canadas National team they dont get too much time to play they play the lower teams but they will graudally get up there like Bangladesh is doing. One factor is the weather because u cant play cricket here in the winter so i think thats y its hard to host other countries here but, then again its the almost the same in england. Ive also heard the next U19 world cup might be held here so that would be good( who noes i might be playing LOL)! :laugh: :p

Back