MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

putabellintheball;404681 said:
The news is that the MMVCA have lost a great club. Merlo off to the VTCA. Wish Roger and the boys all the success in the world and whilst it's a great day for Merlo - a sad day for the MMVCA.

Will this be the first of many?

Is this for real??

mmvca;404703 said:
Is this for real??

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeago
Guru 14 any truth to the rumour that Merlo want to go to the VTCA?

News to me! Not sure where you heard that from....

Hey not bad i put this up months ago.

Goneforaduck;404706 said:
Yep, it's true. It's on their website.

Firslty, i admit i dont know a great deal about much, let alone the VTCA but if its true that it is a better standard comp how will merlo go?

I understand they have a few good young players and they made the gf, but guys like tyson, punky, borg are still keys to their team and getting longer in the tooth.

There is nothing i have seen from merlo's yougsters overall to suggest they will be anything but handy circketers and if the standard is higher wont the club struggle to be competitive???

If they where dominating all grades i would say fair enough but that is nowhere near the case. Just my 2 cents

givemeago;404715 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeago
Guru 14 any truth to the rumour that Merlo want to go to the VTCA?

News to me! Not sure where you heard that from....

Hey not bad i put this up months ago.

I remember a phone conversation we had where you told me merlo were going, but I never gave it another thought.

What ramifications will this have on A Turf?? Does this mean Haig will come back up??

I think alot of players will be pissed if we have a bye.

mmvca;404731 said:
I remember a phone conversation we had where you told me merlo were going, but I never gave it another thought.

What ramifications will this have on A Turf?? Does this mean Haig will come back up??

I think alot of players will be pissed if we have a bye.

Surely the Executive & Committee of the Comp would have been kept up to date with Merlo's intentions ( good luck 2 them hope it works ) & would be talking to other clubs & have plans in place 2 prevent a bye.
If not eyebrows should be raised.

I can understand ppl being against the bye we were too when we had one last year but it was a blessing in disguise having a week off especially if you have functions that will hurt your numbers. We had a club wedding so we asked the comp to fixture our bye that weekend.

Now we are losing it due to a new club coming across from another comp it will be sadly missed.

Gladyboy;404778 said:
I can understand ppl being against the bye we were too when we had one last year but it was a blessing in disguise having a week off especially if you have functions that will hurt your numbers. We had a club wedding so we asked the comp to fixture our bye that weekend.

Now we are losing it due to a new club coming across from another comp it will be sadly missed.

How can having a bye in A grade in any Cricket Comp benifit anybody?
Fair enough it did help ur club last season as a 1 off, but having a bye in the highest grade any Comp has 2 offer would not be a good promotion 4 any Competetion.

Must be a bit of coin on offer in ur comp with 3 lads from Vales who would probably walk in2 any mmvca side heading Roxy way?

16cans;404790 said:
How can having a bye in A grade in any Cricket Comp benifit anybody?
Fair enough it did help ur club last season as a 1 off, but having a bye in the highest grade any Comp has 2 offer would not be a good promotion 4 any Competetion.

Must be a bit of coin on offer in ur comp with 3 lads from Vales who would probably walk in2 any mmvca side heading Roxy way?

Nothing new about NWCA clubs poaching players from other comps on coin, Roxy will need all they help they can get if these blokes are any good it should strengthen the comp which is good as last year they were a joke.

Gladyboy;404794 said:
Nothing new about NWCA clubs poaching players from other comps on coin, Roxy will need all they help they can get if these blokes are any good it should strengthen the comp which is good as last year they were a joke.

Who are you to be calling clubs a joke or not? They won 1 game and I believe it was apparently against a club who pay all of these players? I can honestly say that English would be a player that Gladdy park would love to have as he gives his all and has a crack.. Doesn't play at the club for money. Calling clubs a joke is a big insult. Words to describe Roxy would be "developing"or "not up to it as yet" but they played allot of kids last year and hope these kids really build on last year.

Fresh_Prince;404797 said:
Who are you to be calling clubs a joke or not? They won 1 game and I believe it was apparently against a club who pay all of these players? I can honestly say that English would be a player that Gladdy park would love to have as he gives his all and has a crack.. Doesn't play at the club for money. Calling clubs a joke is a big insult. Words to describe Roxy would be "developing"or "not up to it as yet" but they played allot of kids last year and hope these kids really build on last year.

Taking it a bit perosnally there champ, never bagged English totally agree but please remember that club played off for a flag 3 years ago.

But I take what you have said on board I could have worded it better

Gladyboy;404778 said:

It is bad enough getting washed out, let alone having a bye. We have a very good structure in our A Grade and I would be dead against a bye.

Surely the exec will have to bring either Haig or Ascot Vale up to A Turf??

Now I know Ascot Vale are probably not up to it, but they have to bring up a team.

mmvca;404816 said:
It is bad enough getting washed out, let alone having a bye. We have a very good structure in our A Grade and I would be dead against a bye.

Surely the exec will have to bring either Haig or Ascot Vale up to A Turf??

Now I know Ascot Vale are probably not up to it, but they have to bring up a team.

Agreed MMVCA, i too would be against a bye. It would be a ridiculous situation if that were to happen.

Not sure what the solution is though. But i suppose there are 2 options:
1/ Bring Haig or Ascot Vale up (or another team). Haig went down last year because they weren't upto A Grade standard at this stage, hopefully with some re building etc, they can compete in A Grade again soon. Ascot Vale, don't know them at all, so can't comment.

2/ Drop a side from A Grade to B Grade (and flow it through the grades so there is no bye in B Grade etc). There are a couple of problems with this.
a) East Coburg are the obvious choice, do they want to have no A Grade side? As a long standing member of the competition, it should be there choice (or should it?). But this course of action may help them re build.
b) By doing this would make the 11 round competition unfair, as you would be playing some teams twice and others once. As it stands, everyone play everyone once and that is fair.

Based on my observation, my option would be 1 above.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on a mid week (say Tuesday night, rather than training) MMVCA 20/20 competition? I for one would love to be playing more competitive cricket rather than train.

After playing in B Turf last season, in my opinion Ascot Vale wouldn't be upto A Grade standard from what I saw, unless they have recruited well. They missed the finals and lost their last game to West Coburg who only won 3 games that season. The only options as GEE CEE CEE put it are promote Haig or drop Easts, a bye would be terrible in A grade

Smoke My Bat;404934 said:
After playing in B Turf last season, in my opinion Ascot Vale wouldn't be upto A Grade standard from what I saw, unless they have recruited well. They missed the finals and lost their last game to West Coburg who only won 3 games that season. The only options as GEE CEE CEE put it are promote Haig or drop Easts, a bye would be terrible in A grade

Would clubs be happy with a 8 team A Grade comp, and maybe play every team twice?? ie, play every team in a one dayer and a two dayer?? It would mean a couple of Sunday games, but it definately even it out.

What do you guys think?

mmvca;404939 said:
Would clubs be happy with a 8 team A Grade comp, and maybe play every team twice?? ie, play every team in a one dayer and a two dayer?? It would mean a couple of Sunday games, but it definately even it out.

What do you guys think?

For what its worth that is the set up we have in NWCA and works well and is fair as you play every side twice in both formats.

We have a seperate ladder for one dayers and complete all one dayers by Jan. The two sides on top of the one day ladder play off in a one day grand final for 1K prize on a Sunday with the right to host the day shared evenly between all the clubs, it is always a big money earner for the hosting club as crows is big. The one day points still go on standard ladder for main finals and the finals that count.

Club who wins gets a grand and mom gets 500

mmvca;404939 said:

What do you guys think?

Sounds ok in theory but could be a shortish in grounds with talk C turf being a Sunday fixture.
Haig would be the only side that might have come back up.
Would they they want 2 expose their younger blokes or keep developing them in B grade?

Is Merlo C turf staying in mmvca? If so.
Scenario could be dropping Easts ( no offence guys ) back 2 B grade & their B grade in2 C grade. Would avoid a bye in C turf.

Fixture in A grade could easily be worked after all have played ea other once.
Top play top & bottom play bottom 2 make up remaining rounds, then no1 gets an unfair advantage.
Maybe getting Moonee Valley in2 A grade, they certainly have the numbers.
Just a thought.

Gladyboy;404998 said:
For what its worth that is the set up we have in NWCA and works well and is fair as you play every side twice in both formats.

We have a seperate ladder for one dayers and complete all one dayers by Jan. The two sides on top of the one day ladder play off in a one day grand final for 1K prize on a Sunday with the right to host the day shared evenly between all the clubs, it is always a big money earner for the hosting club as crows is big. The one day points still go on standard ladder for main finals and the finals that count.

Competition inside a Competition, that I dont get.

Ur 75 overs in a day & its stumps, is one i would like 2 c come in.

16cans;405004 said:
Gladyboy;404998 said:

Competition inside a Competition, that I dont get.

Ur 75 overs in a day & its stumps, is one i would like 2 c come in.

Im not sure if they have any Turf sides remaining.

75 overs and then stumps is definately one i would love to see. I cant see the point in bowling 85 overs for no reason at all. It will definately give incentive to bowl overs quicker.

mmvca;405016 said:
16cans;405004 said:
Im not sure if they have any Turf sides remaining.

75 overs and then stumps is definately one i would love to see. I cant see the point in bowling 85 overs for no reason at all. It will definately give incentive to bowl overs quicker.

It would be good, but we struggle to bowl 75 in a day as it is!!!!

I also agree with your previous post, about 8 teams, playing each other twice (once in a one dayer & once in a two dayer), this format should be considered. Last year, the season was 20 saturdays, to use this format you would only need 21 saturdays (plus finals for one day comp if you go down that path), or still just have the one comp. Has some merit MMVCA. I for one, like it.

Back