Moises Henriques - Is He The Real Deal?

Caesar

Failing to live up to expectations has been the hallmark of Henriques' career so far. When he burst onto the scene as a teenager he was a top-order batsman with beautiful technique who also happened to bowl at 145kph+, a genuine contender to take over Keith Miller's mantle.

Fast forward through half a decade or more of frustration and disappointment, and he's reinvented himself for NSW as a solid lower order bat and useful medium pace seamer. Now at 26, through a lucky set of circumstances and a fortuitous sense of timing, he's found himself in the Test team - and in his first outing, he hasn't looked out of place. It's early days, but for a player with his potential it's a salivating prospect.

So what are we going to see from him? Is he the new White, or the new Watson?

One would sincerely hope he is not the new Watson. This is a player who truly has never lived up to the hype surrounding him. Watson has demonstrated that he is a selfish player who would be better suited to being a gun for hire much like many West Indies players rather than pursuing a test career that he is clearly not interested in. He has no concentration, no discipline and the facts don't back him either. Look at his averages for test cricket, with the bat 36.03 and ball 30.06. These are not good enough to play test cricket after 40 tests. Henriques is averaging 50 after two tests with a first class average of almost 50 to back that. He has copped a pasting with the ball but excuse me who has not in our team this series. I am much more prepare to give Henriques a chance and some latitude to build his game but Watson is finished. It is perform time or out to the T20 paddock.

One would sincerely hope he is not the new Watson. This is a player who truly has never lived up to the hype surrounding him. Watson has demonstrated that he is a selfish player who would be better suited to being a gun for hire much like many West Indies players rather than pursuing a test career that he is clearly not interested in. He has no concentration, no discipline and the facts don't back him either. Look at his averages for test cricket, with the bat 36.03 and ball 30.06. These are not good enough to play test cricket after 40 tests. Henriques is averaging 50 after two tests with a first class average of almost 50 to back that. He has copped a pasting with the ball but excuse me who has not in our team this series. I am much more prepare to give Henriques a chance and some latitude to build his game but Watson is finished. It is perform time or out to the T20 paddock.
Dunno about that. But how about it? Watson and Henriques to open? :eek:

Someone needs to start an Ashton Agar thread - something like: Is Ashton Agar a realer deal than Mozz, Phil, Steve, Show... please add any other overhyped player we've had in the past three or four years or so.

Someone needs to start an Ashton Agar thread - something like: Is Ashton Agar a realer deal than Mozz, Phil, Steve, Show... please add any other overhyped player we've had in the past three or four years or so.

That sounds a tad bitter? I think it's too early to judge most of those players you've named above...

Mozz performed well with the bat in India (why does he have to be an all-rounder?), Steve Smith showed grit and fight in the first Ashes Test, Phil has showed he can score runs against good sides (I think he's improving).

The most overhyped player in Australia (I believe) is David Warner so I'm surprised you haven't named him.

Back