Money Shield 18/19

I think a lot of you folk are missing some important things re T20. Granted it’s not perfect, but consider this. If you promote it properly within your club, get the necessary buy in from players and use it as a way to generate income, it is extremely worthwhile. When we made the final against Bundoora United a few years back, over the course of the tournament we generated 15k including prize money by promoting it as an event for the community to come along and enjoy. Now call me old fashioned, but in a time when dollars are hard to come by, clubs and people who continue to write it off and not make the effort are seriously “cutting off your nose, to spite your face”!
$15,000 please give me spell.

I think a lot of you folk are missing some important things re T20. Granted it’s not perfect, but consider this. If you promote it properly within your club, get the necessary buy in from players and use it as a way to generate income, it is extremely worthwhile. When we made the final against Bundoora United a few years back, over the course of the tournament we generated 15k including prize money by promoting it as an event for the community to come along and enjoy. Now call me old fashioned, but in a time when dollars are hard to come by, clubs and people who continue to write it off and not make the effort are seriously “cutting off your nose, to spite your face”!

$15k generated for T20's, 188 people attending season launches... you and numbers don't mix that well do they, Brutal?

$15k generated for T20's, 188 people attending season launches... you and numbers don't mix that well do they, Brutal?

Checking the numbers -

In 2013/14 Research played five T20s at home. Generating $15,000 would mean food and beverage sales of $3,000 per match. (I'm ignoring prize money)

Even if Research managed to pull 100 spectators per match, each person (man, woman and child) would have to consume $30 of food and beverage.

I went to a T20 match this season. I reckon there would have been around 30-40 spectators. I bought a can of coke.

I call bullshit.

Last edited:
Checking the numbers -

In 2013/14 Research played five T20s at home. Generating $15,000 would mean food and beverage sales of $3,000 per match. (I'm ignoring prize money)

Even if Research managed to pull 100 spectators per match, each person (man, woman and child) would have to consume $30 of food and beverage.

I went to a T20 match this season. I reckon there would have been around 30-40 spectators. I bought a can of coke.

I call bullshit.
Plus you have to purchase drinks and food before you can sell it. The profit generated during most 20/20 games would be 1k at most and thats being generous.
There were games at Macleod that would only take 1k over the bar during t20 games and i know this coz i used to run it.

I think a lot of you folk are missing some important things re T20. Granted it’s not perfect, but consider this. If you promote it properly within your club, get the necessary buy in from players and use it as a way to generate income, it is extremely worthwhile. When we made the final against Bundoora United a few years back, over the course of the tournament we generated 15k including prize money by promoting it as an event for the community to come along and enjoy. Now call me old fashioned, but in a time when dollars are hard to come by, clubs and people who continue to write it off and not make the effort are seriously “cutting off their nose, to spite your face”!
Plus you have to purchase drinks and food before you can sell it. The profit generated during most 20/20 games would be 1k at most and thats being generous.
There were games at Macleod that would only take 1k over the bar during t20 games and i know this coz i used to run it.
That year we had home Semi and home gf. The semi grossed 2.5 and the GF 5k and I’m pretty sure we had the knockout round at home as well. It’s a bit different this year playing at the College but we’ve always had good turnouts at a T20 at Research Park. Obviously we get a cricket club crowd but we also get people from the Junior FC and Lower Plenty FC who come up and watch because of affiliations. I know for sure we’ve had more than a hundred through a game including opposition supporters. Not to mention people from the local community. In the end, regardless of how you argue the benefits of the playing The game itself, it’s good for the coffers if you want to put in some work and promote it. Maybe you need some better marketing Serge;) What was the go with your boys last night anyway Serge? Uniforms look very impressive but only knew 3 players and one of the young guys playing didn’t know the name of one of his teammates. Little if any supporters from Macleod as well.

That year we had home Semi and home gf. The semi grossed 2.5 and the GF 5k and I’m pretty sure we had the knockout round at home as well. It’s a bit different this year playing at the College but we’ve always had good turnouts at a T20 at Research Park. Obviously we get a cricket club crowd but we also get people from the Junior FC and Lower Plenty FC who come up and watch because of affiliations. I know for sure we’ve had more than a hundred through a game including opposition supporters. Not to mention people from the local community. In the end, regardless of how you argue the benefits of the playing The game itself, it’s good for the coffers if you want to put in some work and promote it. Maybe you need some better marketing Serge;) What was the go with your boys last night anyway Serge? Uniforms look very impressive but only knew 3 players and one of the young guys playing didn’t know the name of one of his teammates. Little if any supporters from Macleod as well.
Its not marketing, its a tuesday night that not many people care for. If T20 was played on a Sunday, clubs would probably generate more $$$.
On your other point, it appears that there were plenty of better credentialed players sitting in the sheds. Im not sure why as i havent been down there this year for personal family reasons.

If people won't turn up on a Tuesday night when most people aren't doing much except for sitting in front of the TV, what makes you think they will turn up on a Sunday when there are 1000 other things to do and get done?

If people won't turn up on a Tuesday night when most people aren't doing much except for sitting in front of the TV, what makes you think they will turn up on a Sunday when there are 1000 other things to do and get done?
Half of us are still trying to get home at 6pm battling a ridiculous amount of traffic these days - why bother turning up halfway through a game during the week ?

Fair point, but I still don't see Sunday as being the day where thousands will turn up.
Thousands lol. If a club can attract 100 -150 patrons paying 10-20 each ( 3 cans and a feed - sounds reasonable), you are talking around 2.5k in sales. Clearly makes more sense than a tuesday night in my opinion

If 100 people is all you want then Tuesday night should be fine. I think we got there or pretty close 2 out of 3 games. As Brutal says, maybe clubs need to do a little more promotion.

Going to be a ripping finish to Money Shield this year.

Eltham with a soft last 2 games and Stars with a decent start might be the only 2 certainties for the 4 from here.

A lot of teams playing each other over the next few weeks, scrapping for the last 2 spots.

With the tough fixture ahead, OP and LP will miss, HCC a chance but just miss
Prediction for first week of finals:
BU @ Stars
Banyule @ Eltham

With the tough fixture ahead, OP and LP will miss, HCC a chance but just miss
Prediction for first week of finals:
BU @ Stars
Banyule @ Eltham
Banyule could very well lose every game from here on in. LS home and OP away. If they are a real contender they'll win this week.
Think OP will sneak in

Banyule could very well lose every game from here on in. LS home and OP away. If they are a real contender they'll win this week.
Think OP will sneak in

Lost some important wickets already overnight, going to be a tough ask this weekend.

The OP BU game this week will tell us a bit about both sides.

Back