Most Underrated bowler of the decade

Re: Most Underrated bowler of the decade

Not underrated by anyone who faced him! Problem is only played 18 tests.

Bowling average of 22 and SR of 39 make him absolutely elite as a strike bowlers, as well as having the ability not to leak runs.

Shame his back didnt hold up. Had he and Vetorri played together a lot more, NZ would have won a lot more tests. If he had played 50+ tests, I would think he would be considered as one of the fast bowling greats of all time, from all nations.

I can't think of anyone, player or fan who underrates Bond. That's a bad choice.

Ntini for mine, he played most of the decade, taking 390 wickets @ 28 but never really getting the plaudits he deserved.

I mean, playing on the roads today, to average 28 is a magnificent effort.

An absolute gun bowler.

You don't hear much about Bond away from the forum/blogging scene, as he isn't covered by the media in other countries but NZ, mostly because he has always been injured, so I guess from one angle that works.

I agree with Ntini, love him as a bowler.

Matthew Hoggard. Best swing bowler in the world in his prime, received appalling treatment by the ECB and Yorkshire towards the end of his career.

Yeah I'd agree with that about Hoggard.

A very-underated bowler; the 7 wickets he took at Adelaide in 2006/07 on a flat deck was a masterclass of bowling on that type of wicket.

I reckon Chaminda Vaas doesn't get all the credit he deserves. Incredibly versatile bowler, he could do it all, which is no mean feat for a guy coming from perhaps the least pace-friendly country in the world. 355 test wickets at an average of under 30, twice taking 10 in a match and 12 times taking 5 in an innings.

Granted he was selected for a few World XI teams, but I doubt many people think of him when asked to reel off a list of the great pacemen to come out of the subcontinent.

i'd have to agree with all the bowlers so far vaas certainly doesn't get all of the credit he deserves for how good he was and hoggard very rarely gets the recognition he deserves for the amount of work he put in.

I think the main thing that all the underrated bowlers seem to have is they are workhorse type bowlers and generally bowl alot of overs though they still do take lots of wickets, and they aren't particulalry spectacular in terms of pace or catching the imagination.

Calling bond underrated is silly he is one on the worlds premier fast bowlers and a genuine great of new zealand cricket that has had his career curtailed by injuries.

Bond is a gun, rate him highly, used to love Ponting V Bond over the years; Bond probably had the wood on Ponting a bit to be honest.

Caesar;397949 said:
I reckon Chaminda Vaas doesn't get all the credit he deserves. Incredibly versatile bowler, he could do it all, which is no mean feat for a guy coming from perhaps the least pace-friendly country in the world. 355 test wickets at an average of under 30, twice taking 10 in a match and 12 times taking 5 in an innings.

Granted he was selected for a few World XI teams, but I doubt many people think of him when asked to reel off a list of the great pacemen to come out of the subcontinent.

I am in love with the girl in your avatar!

Agree on Vaas, doesn't get recognition. I always thought Gillespie was a bit underrated by the general public who knew McGrath was good and were obsessed with Lee's pace. I know pre-2005(when he dropped a yard of pace) he was the guy England's bats least liked facing.

Stuart MacGill was the best leg spin bowler in the world.... behind the masterful shane warne! He could spin the ball at right angles.

Just imagine how many wickets he could have ended up with if there was no warnie playing cricket.

Back