Who would you rather on your team?

• Murali

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warne

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Jonesy

Muralitharan v Warne v Kumble.

Which one of these would you rather have on your team? On another forum we had this debate about Murilitheran v Warne and then someone said Kumble was better than Warne.

Who would you rather on your team? For me, it's Warne. Murali has better stats, but stats are hardly anything to go by. Take AFL for example. You could have 30 kicks kicking it back and forth to another player un contested across the backline, or you could have 15 kicks under pressure, goal assists and everything. I know which one I'd choose. In cricket, you might of taken 4 wickets an innings but only got out the 4 bowlers, or someone might of taken only 2 wickets but taken out the 2 best players in the team. Stats don't show that, but obviously the second one is better.

So what's who'd you choose?

Re: Muralitheran v Warne v Kumble.

kumble better then warne??? lmao

while i rate kumble as a bowler i greatly doubt that he is worthy enough to be in the same sentance as both warne or murali...

as for who i would rather on my team... it would have 2 be between warne and murali and would depend on the pitch i guess.... i would probably lean towards warne...

Re: Muralitheran v Warne v Kumble.

All 3 have their merits, but I think that we can count out Kumble, although he is arguably the better batsman.

As for the other two, well, they both bring various things to the table and there isn't a lot to choose between them. Murali is the better bowler in terms of 'raw ability', Warne when it comes to guile and craft and thinking a batsman out.

Both are pretty much able to get wickets regardless of the pitch type and you know what you'll get with them.

It really is hard to choose, but I think I may just go for Murali, but it would really depend on a number of factors - in my mind they both offer just enough differences to make choosing between them very, very difficult.

Re: Muralitharan v Warne v Kumble.

Kumble is not as talented as Warne or Murali. He is the third highest wicket taker because he has made the most of his talent.

Who would I have in my team? Warne, because he is the better cricketer in my opinion.

Its definitly out of Murali and Warne. Murali has such a great character and picks up bags of wickets. He isn't as daring as I would like though. Warne has such a great cricketing mind and uses that to get wickets. For me Warne would just pip Murali out, simply because he is a lot more daring, although it would be a close cut thing.

:)I always thought Murali only took wickets cos he was
the only qualitly bowler in the Sri Lankan squad, But hes showed he
still takes loads of wickets with another good bowler like Mendis.
But if i had to choose i would pick Warne cos when he bowled it
always felt like somethin would happen, he
was excellent at building up pressure

i'd rather have warne for his control and overall cricketing skill, murali is great but I don't rate him quite as high as warne, tbh kumble maybe a great but he isn't in the same league as murali or warne who could take wickets at will even late in their careers and kumble looks lucky to buy a wicket atm

As a bowler I think Murali might just edge Warnie but I'd rather have Warne in my team for the other stuff he brings to the party, not just better batting ability but the impact he'd have on the team in terms of atmosphere, confidence and mentality.

I'm going to go for the old 'leg spinner's alliance' here and go for Warne. Muralitharan is a quality, quality bowler, but let's have a look at the stats:

Murali: 751 Test Wickets @ 21.90
Warne: 708 Test Wickets @ 25.41

Now, let's look at where those wickets came from - I don't think many would argue that Bangladesh and Zimbabwe are considerably weaker than the other Test-playing nations, so what percentage of their wickets have they taken against a weaker opponent?

Murali: 76 wickets vs Bangladesh, 87 vs Zimbabwe = 163 = 21.7%
Warne: 11 wickets vs Bangladesh, 6 vs Zimbabwe = 17 = 2.4%

So Murali has taken almost ten times as many wickets against weaker sides, but how have they fared against top quality opposition? Let's use India as an example, as the conditions are spin-friendly, and the batsmen are traditionally good players of spin:

Murali: 17 games, 83 Wickets @ 29.95 = 4.8 Wickets/game
Warne: 14 games, 43 Wickets @ 47.18 = 3.1 Wickets/game

In spin-friendly conditions, Murali is head and shoulders above Warne. So what about home advantage? What difference does bowling in their own country make?

Murali: 69 games, 467 Wickets @ 19.23 = 6.77 Wickets/game = 62.18% of total Wickets
Warne: 69 games, 319 Wickets @ 26.39 = 4.62 Wickets/game = 45.06% of total Wickets

So, Warne is less dependent on home turf for Wickets than Murali...

To summarise, it's a pretty close run thing. Without information as to how high up the order their victims were, it's difficult to say. On one hand, Muralitharan has taken a large percentage of his total Wickets against two of the weakest teams in Test Cricket (more than one in five of his wickets came against these two countries), but in arguably the best test for a Spinner, the Indian wicket, there's no arguing that Muralitharan is the better bowler.
I suppose I'd go with Warne, simply because he's taken more Wickets away from home, when you need your key players to be at their best, whereas Muralitharan has taken just under two thirds of his Wickets on home turf.

I would go with Warne. Not just because he is a fantastic bowler and has a (in my eyes) legitimate action but I would rather share a pint in the bar afterwards with him. He would be a right laugh!!

I as a captain would have always picked Shane Warne because he more talented and can out smart the batsmen.
Also he will be a handy batsmen for me down the order.
Murali is a second choice for his crafty off spin but he lacks in batting even after years of international exprience.
Last would be Anil Kumble because he is a fighter and would bowl his heart out and the same for his batting as well.

Back