My Gray Nicolls Fusion (question + pics)

charlie_123

My Gray Nicolls Fusion (question + pics)

i got this gn fusion yesterday, but i dont know how long i should knock it in for, its "ready 2 play" straight away but i still need to knock it in more. its got a clear sheet applied by gray nicolls and a toe guard.

heres some pics:

Re: My Gray Nicolls Fusion (question + pics)

People say toegaurds aren't needed, but i'd say stick one on, especially if your a bat-tapper.

Secondly, yeah, ready2play bats aren't exactly that, give it about 2 hours, go into the net with a soft ball and play a bit, get the feel for it, if you feel it needs more knocking in, do 30 minutes, then go back to the nets, if it doesnt feel right, another 30 minutes until its perfect!

Lastly, knock in the edges well, ready2play means "nearly," the edges are usually not done too well.

Looks pretty good how much you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

As simbazz said, give it about 2 hours with a mallet and around an hour with a very soft ball. That should be enough to fully knock it in. From here progress to a slightly newer ball and so on.

You don't need to oil it and in terms of maintenance, just wipe the anti scuff sheet with a wetted cloth to remove any marks.

@Dikon - i got it for £40 from cricket direct (i had returned my woodworm bat to woodworm and it was authorised as a replacement bat so i got a fusion) the edges are around 3cms thick :D

@ aa and simbazz - yeh i ll knock it in for 2hrs + soft ball playing in (how do you suggest i do this bearing in mind its the winter now and the grass/mud is wet ? )

Like A_A said, a mallet or oldish ball will do, and for the knocking in, have you got access to indoor nets? Or outdoor nets on a decent day?

im using a gray nicolls mallet for the knocking in. ive got access to indoor nets mainly any time i want them but havnt got much money at the moment :\

how do i knock the edges in on my bat though, just do the thick edges ? i dont uite get what you mean by glancing blows

The way to knock in the edge is to mimic the way that a cricket ball would 'knick' them.

Don't hit the edges directly, as you'll flatten them, the idea is to slightly round them off.

I tend to just go down the bat, giving it a good old punch, nothing too hard, as A_A said.

As for indoor nets, hopefully its the kind where you can use a corky, and not one of the wind balls :p Else this advice will be useless. Get in there for a while, and use a 40+ over ball for about 30 minutes, and gradually get harder, so 30ov ball for 15, 20ov for 15 and then you can be assured if it feels good, it'll withstand the new ball.

Its not until you've had a good innings with it til you know whether its perfect.

Just to add there is no sure way of knowing if a bat is knocked in enough or not.

You can try to make a mark with your finger nail, with the idea being that the more knocked in the bat the harder it will be to make a mark.

If you do, do this then only make a small mark near the edge so it won't be noticed; however, as you have a scuff sheet, you'll probably have to do it near the toe.

@ aa - how long do the edges need to be knocked in for ? and im guessin u just do it lightly ?

@ simbazz - nah its a hall near me at a university near me but it costs £25 (not too bad really) hard surface though ball comes onto the bat well :D

Sounds good! Not to be big headed but im special :p get free access :p Then again i pay out 30 quid a month for club fees and kit washes :laugh:

lol i would love my club to do that, ive just knocked the edges in for about 30seconds lol, i ll do it more in the day tomurrow when im not gonna wake the next door neighbours up or anyone lol, i dont know why im knockinf the edges, ive been playing for 3 years and havnt been out once from edging the ball :p i prefur the middle...... and the toe lol

I feel robbed if im out off the toe :eek: Bottom of the bat, should make the ball go to the ground, but us cricketers can have the worst luck! :laugh:

lol nah i ment i prefur hitting the ball in the middle of the bat and the toe :p id feel robbed aswel if i was out off the toe of the bat lol, what bat/bats do u have simbazz ? and where they pre knocked in or did you do it all yourself ?

Edges need maybe 20 - 30 mins of steady but light knocking in. So about 10 - 15 mins for each side of the bat.

oo ok thanks im gonna devote tomurrow to knocking in my cricket bat lol its so meaty i just want to go to the nets and give the ball a good smack lol it will go off this monster like a rocket :D

Fusions are bad, they are not good,

Get a gm, they're much more reliable, i've struck 8 centuries with mine.

nah all bats are different. you could get one bat say slazenger thats really good, then you pick up the next bat slazenger and its a load of s*** lol, no 2 bats are the same.

this fusion however feels really nice and will be a beast once its fully knocked in :D

ive just done 20mins of knocking in the outside edge (used a 40 over ball) is that ok ?

Back