Need Help ( New Legspin Video )

Hi again to all big cricket members,
I recorded another video you will see that i have made some changes but the important thing is i want to stick to this action.
My purpose with this action was i wanted
a stable run up
good side arm action
and follow through

but as you can see that i am not coming side on properly
i know i m doing something wrong but dont know what my friend tols me that i m not coming side on at all

In the i have a recorded a stand-stop action method. i seem to get it right when trying at short distances but everything goes wrong when i bowl full length
My friend is suggesting that i change my action but i don't want to so can you please help

I don't recommend walking into your bowling action as a general rule. You just don't get any momentum which leads to inconsistency of length, and you tend not to turn sideways properly, which vastly reduces the amount of revs you can get on the ball. Much better to bound into your action.

So should i change my bowling action or not.
Does my action when bowling in the nets and when bowling in stand stop position vary

Hello legspin. I think your action is very similar to mine. I am more a front on bowler. I will put up a video of my bowling tommorow to let you see and give me more a chance to watch your video some more. I am no expert but we can compare and offer suggestions.
I like the buddha quote, very apt for what we have been discussing on using the mind to bowl better.

Good to see you managed to persuade your parents to let you continue with your cricket legspin.

Your action is quite good, although unfortunately not side on but does that really matter? If it makes you feel better, you are not front on either. :D If it feels good, go for it.

Your issues do not have anything to do with the action itself; all your troubles stem from your overpronation... flat feet. :(

but have you noticed that i release the ball a tad too late sending it full toss almost, the main problem has been the inconsistency and struggle to find rhythm. My friend says i m tilting my head slightly falling backwards

Do you have a good coach? If not, you should try to get a few sessions.

Your inconsistency comes from your mindset. Some times it is really obvious that you do not believe in your delivery... it is almost as if something in your head is saying , "well, lets see what this does", rather than, "this is it!". If you don't BELIEVE you can do it, you won't. Simple as that.

From a coaches point of view, there are a few things I could tinker with but to be honest, until you can believe in yourself, none of it will work.

I agree with SLA that the stand-stop drill is not working for you; your action falls apart and you start to introduce a bit of an off spin action.

Be more assertive and convincing and see how it goes.

I recorded another video you will see that i have made some changes but the important thing is i want to stick to this action.
a stable run up
good side arm action
and follow through

i know i m doing something wrong but dont know what my friend tols me that i m not coming side on at all

In the i have a recorded a stand-stop action method. i seem to get it right when trying at short distances but everything goes wrong when i bowl full length
My friend is suggesting that i change my action but i don't want to so can you please help

Good to see you still at it old friend.

I found the stuff against the wall interesting. The wall never lies. Looks to me like you are bowling all wronguns and toppies except for around 4.34 which comes off as a legbreak. Not surprising given your action.

I am pretty sure you have become even more front on since last time you posted. Maybe you are letting the ball go a tad early as you say, but that is not a problem at the moment.

I would have another go at getting more side on by planting the backfoot about 90degrees clockwise in delivery and getting the bowling arm more down and across at the finish.

A good drill is to stand closer to that wall and just using shoulder, arm , wrist and fingers to get the ball to come off the wall as legbreak spinning off the wall to your left. That could get your arm action more set up for legbreaks and not so much topspin/offspin. If you freeze it the instant you let go of your legbreak against the wall the back of the hand should be facing you, at the moment it doesn't. Your palm should face the wall a bit like you were waving at someone or urging them to stop.

Are you out of season at the moment ? Because that makes a difference as to what you should be trying.

I said your early release you mentioned was not a problem at this stage but i meant in terms of length but where it is a hindrance is it doesn't allow your wrist to get around enough for a legbreak, if you know what i mean ?

but have you noticed that i release the ball a tad too late sending it full toss almost, the main problem has been the inconsistency and struggle to find rhythm. My friend says i m tilting my head slightly falling backwards

Hey, I know what you mean with feeling inconsistent. What's most important is, are you enjoying practicing? Or are you worried, frustrated, etc? If you are frustrated, don't be, everything takes time, also, don't get too serious, or you will start worrying about something which you don't really need to worry about. Also, don't beat yourself up too much, and try to allow yourself the right to fail, because if you don't, you will put too much pressure on yourself. Try not to overthink things, and most importantly, enjoy it.

Good to see you still at it old friend.

I found the stuff against the wall interesting. The wall never lies. Looks to me like you are bowling all wronguns and toppies except for around 4.34 which comes off as a legbreak. Not surprising given your action.

I am pretty sure you have become even more front on since last time you posted. Maybe you are letting the ball go a tad early as you say, but that is not a problem at the moment.

I would have another go at getting more side on by planting the backfoot about 90degrees clockwise in delivery and getting the bowling arm more down and across at the finish.

A good drill is to stand closer to that wall and just using shoulder, arm , wrist and fingers to get the ball to come off the wall as legbreak spinning off the wall to your left. That could get your arm action more set up for legbreaks and not so much topspin/offspin. If you freeze it the instant you let go of your legbreak against the wall the back of the hand should be facing you, at the moment it doesn't. Your palm should face the wall a bit like you were waving at someone or urging them to stop.

Are you out of season at the moment ? Because that makes a difference as to what you should be trying.

yes i am not playing regularly as i used to, now

With respect, it doesn't really look like you're actually really "bowling" the ball. It looks like you are just walking through the crease and turning your arm over.

If you watch all the great or good legspinners of the past 20 years - Qadir, Mushy, Afridi, Kumble, they all really bound into their delivery stride and then explode through it. Even Warne, although he famously walks for his first few paces, really explodes through the crease.

I wasn't going to make any comment, but as SLA has said, the key thing is that it looks as though you're not putting any energy into it. The other thing is that you're not getting side on and this is due to the fact that your bound is pretty non-existent. Have a look at this thread here and scroll down to the images That 'Funk' has posted. http://www.bigcricket.com/community/threads/videos-and-links.50392/page-11#post-415123 if you look at the stills images and observe where Warnes foot lands out of his bound and where it's pointing, you'll see that his body is then set up to enable him to bowl with side-on action. I reckon you'd do well to look at getting your bound more dynamic and working to get your foot landing side-ways like Warne out of the bound. Your leading arm looks that reaches up does so without out any sense of determination or purpose - again no energy. Work on reaching out with a strong action and whipping the arm over through the delivery.

1. Work with the bound, get it so that you land out of the bound with your right foot pointing to the right instead of straight on, this will set you up, so that your body gets side on through the action into the pivot.

2. Work with your leading arm to get it reaching up and forwards with some sense of purpose.

3. Get your bowling arm whipping over much faster with a lot more energy.

That's what I reckon. A lot of things may then fall into place.

Normally I would agree with Dave 100%.

However, I really advise you not to do this legspinner, although 'technically' this is the way to go, I am afraid it will cause you a great deal of injury in the ankles... which will then have impact on your knees, your hips and your back.

I am sorry to say that you need to address your overpronation before you can excel as a bowler... get it sorted and you will fly!

Good to see you managed to persuade your parents to let you continue with your cricket legspin.

Your action is quite good, although unfortunately not side on but does that really matter? If it makes you feel better, you are not front on either. :D If it feels good, go for it.

Your issues do not have anything to do with the action itself; all your troubles stem from your overpronation... flat feet. :(

Wouldn't it take a long time to fix that though?

Normally I would agree with Dave 100%.

However, I really advise you not to do this legspinner, although 'technically' this is the way to go, I am afraid it will cause you a great deal of injury in the ankles... which will then have impact on your knees, your hips and your back.

I am sorry to say that you need to address your overpronation before you can excel as a bowler... get it sorted and you will fly!

As a matter of interest - how does he go about doing that Liz?

Well, the quick fix is orthotics.

However, I am not keen to use aids of any kind; OK for short term but the long term prognosis is poor, although a podiatrist would probably prescribe them. This is a soft tissue issue and can be addressed quite easily. Quite often it is caused by dysfunction of the posterior tibialis. I would use management techniques to encourage the muscles to respond normally. As you can imagine, you really need to know the particular issue to be able to sort it out and this cannot be done remotely; I would need to see the individual and conduct tests to isolate the problem area.

As for time SLA, I have seen success within a month from a diligent person. If you really want to solve the problem, you can. ;)

a stable run up
good side arm action
and follow through

I agree with a lot that has been said on your walking into the crease. I really don't understand what they are saying about being flatfooted but they sound like thet know what they are doing so listen to them.

I am quite a front-on bowler myself. One of my biggest problems is getting accuracy but my front-on techniquue helps with that while it still spins well.

What do you find is your problem with bowling? Is it accuracy? Is it hard to spin the ball? Are the batsman able to pick you out and smash you? When you know what your problem is I can help.

Back