New Zealand v Sri Lanka: 5th ODI

W

Wilbix

New Zealand v Sri Lanka: 5th ODI

After the test series finished 1-1, the Twenty20 series finished 1-1, and the ODI series is tied at 2-2, this match will serve as a decider to a tour which has been evenly matched throughout. A day/night affair from Hamilton, it was supposed to start 30 minutes ago, but rain has delayed the start of play. Reports are that the rain shouldn't be too bad, and there should be play soon.

Before the rain, New Zealand won the toss, and chose to put Sri Lanka in to bat first. Not sure though when this match will get underway.

New Zealand XI: McCullum, Fleming, Astle, Taylor, Fulton, McMillan, Vettori, Franklin, Gillespie, Bond, Mason

Sri Lanka XI: Tharanga, Jayasuriya, Jayawardene, Sangakkara, Atapattu, Kapugedera, Maharoof, Vaas, Muralitharan, Malinga, Fernando

Re: New Zealand v Sri Lanka: 5th ODI

Things not looking so good in Hamilton, as the rain is continuing. Two hours lost thus far, and no official word as to what the plans are. May end up with double-barrel Twenty20 action, with this match being shortened and then the England-Australia tilt later.

Still no break in the rain. That's more than three hours lost, and it is looking bleak for those hoping for a match today. According to cricinfo, they would have to be underway by 7:02 pm local time (6:02 am GMT) in order to play the requisite overs. Not sure where the :02 comes from, but that's neither here nor there.

Well that's it, the 5th ODI has been abandoned without a ball being bowled. Just too much rain, and even if it had stopped in time the field would not have been fit to play. So the series ends in a draw, as did the tests and T20Is. So glad I made this thread :D

i reckon they shouldve played the next day. the seires was awesome, very even and close, and many ppl including me were eagerly expecting a result from a great series between two evenly matched teams.

Back