NMCA 2019/2020

Strange that they’ve gone this way. If games are abandoned due to weather (rain or heat), then a winner is awarded?

Why are they being treated differently. Both events are equally outside of everyone’s control, but a different result is deemed?
Surely this isn't an option?
1. Award joint winners (They finished 1st and 2nd anyway)
2. Top placed side wins as per inclement weather policy

Both sides have had great years. One or both teams should be rewarded for that.

Same for the other two grades.

So who gets promoted if there is no winner????

I
Surely this isn't an option?
1. Award joint winners (They finished 1st and 2nd anyway)
2. Top placed side wins as per inclement weather policy

Both sides have had great years. One or both teams should be rewarded for that.

Same for the other two grades.

So who gets promoted if there is no winner????

I think the confusion comes from the wording of Cricket Victoria’s advice to Premier Cricket, where the highest placed team at the end of the home and away season would be deemed Premiers.

This causes complications in Jika Shield given Rosebank were the highest placed team in the home and away season, however Rivergum became the ‘home’ side after winning the semi final.

Based on the wording from Cricket Victoria, Rosebank would be the winner. But the way we are structured, we know Rivergum should be deemed the winner. This is the case if the grand final is abandoned due to weather.

There is much less confusion in Quick and Kelly where Socials and Footballers finished on top of the ladder and also won the semi. It’s clear cut in both these grades and no confusion in the advice offered by Cricket Victoria.

Last edited:
I

I think the confusion comes from the wording of Cricket Victoria’s advice to Premier Cricket, where the highest placed team at the end of the home and away season would be deemed Premiers.

This causes complications in Jika Shield given Rosebank were the highest placed team in the home and away season, however Rivergum became the ‘home’ side after winning the semi final.

Based on the wording from Cricket Victoria, Rosebank would be the winner. But the way we are structured, we know Rivergum should be deemed the winner. This is the case if the grand final is abandoned due to weather.

There is much less confusion in Quick and Kelly where Socials and Footballers finished on top of the ladder and also won the semi. It’s clear cut in both these grades and no confusion in the advice offered by Cricket Victoria.
Good to have some context.

Do not envy the NMCA board on this one. Unprecedented.

You can go Shield by Shield basic surely.
Socials undefeated and have beaten every team. Sorry about the obvious bias for them not to have the name on the shield would be a travesty.

I’m sorry, but our boys in put in an undefeated year, they beat everyone, and are unrewarded totally. This can’t be allowed this stand.

Cricket Australia has recommended the cancellation of all community cricket.

It’s quite a bizarre thing to happen that’s for sure. But it’s out of teams hands just like rain all weekend is? Teams have worked hard to get that number 1 seed and now it means nothing if there is no shield rewarded. Easy option for the NMCA surprise surprise. Interesting to see what other local associations do

It's a joke that no winner will be awarded.

If Cricket Victoria have stated that the top home and away team would be awarded the winner, what grounds does the NMCA have to decide any different.

Rosebank, Northern Socials and Preston Footballers are the rightful Premiers.

My take (albiet a biased one) if anyone cares.......

If games are to be cancelled surely the highest qualifier would be deemed the winner, the highest rank team at the conclusion of the last game played imo should be the premier. Just like any other season.
Don't think there is a rule ( happy to be corrected) that states home and away

For a club like Preston footballers waiting the best part of 50yrs for this moment only to have it taken away is nothing short of heartbreaking

Socials fantastic season undefeated top qualifier should be the premier.

Obviously there is my club as well which has won the right to be top qualifier.

I agree this situation is unique and out of everyone's hands but at the same time so is the weather

Please read this. It answers all your questions.

We can provide the following guidelines to support local decision making, which are the principles adopted by the Australian Premier Cricket leadership team:

"Prior to a semi-final or grand final match - should the semi-final or grand final match not have commenced than the match would be awarded to the higher placed team from the home and away season."

Cricket Australia guidelines. Rosebank, Northern Socials, Preston Footballers are the Premiers.

We can provide the following guidelines to support local decision making, which are the principles adopted by the Australian Premier Cricket leadership team:

"Prior to a semi-final or grand final match - should the semi-final or grand final match not have commenced than the match would be awarded to the higher placed team from the home and away season."

Cricket Australia guidelines. Rosebank, Northern Socials, Preston Footballers are the Premiers.
We are no longer prior to a semi final , they have actually been played already . We are prior to the grand final yes

Semi has commenced and done n dusted I'm pretty sure

Echo-ing Mr Collingwood’s point of view from an external/neutral position.
If our comp was like others in the way that the semi’s were 1 v 4 & 2 v 3 and both these sides progressed then sure Rosebank get it for finishing top and it’s an easy decision. The fact that we offer a double chance for the top 2 and this first final is more of a ‘qualifier’ between the two best sides from the season should count for something.
If not, award joint winners - they would both be deserving.

We are no longer prior to a semi final , they have actually been played already . We are prior to the grand final yes

Semi has commenced and done n dusted I'm pretty sure
I am struggling to see why the matches shouldn't be played. Less than 500 attendees and players can be careful by not making physical contact

I am struggling to see why the matches shouldn't be played. Less than 500 attendees and players can be careful by not making physical contact

Right or wrong, it’s a decision that’s been passed down by Cricket Australia Chief Health Officer.

The NMCA would be mad not to follow the recommendation and choose to go against the health advice.

I’m not aware of any legalities, but the question could be asked that if a player or spectator was to catch the virus over the weekend, would the NMCA be liable for this? And possibly risk legal action for not following the health advice given to them?...

I don’t think anyone would be critical of the NMCA for cancelling the matches as per the advice they’ve been given.

What we need to sort out is who will be awarded the winner of Jika Shield, or joint winners. Quick and Kelly is easy. It’s not acceptable to abandon the season and award no winner.

Back