no balls height

gundalf7

no balls height

just wondering if anyone can confirm what the actually rules for no ball over a certain height. I was under the impression that for a fast bowler it was no balls for full tosses above waist high and spin/slow bowlers it was shoulder height.

A couple of the guys at my club seem to think that it is now a no ball for any full toss above waist high regardless of a bowlers pace. The mcc book i have would seem to confirm the former but it may be out of date.

Also is it up to the umpire which balls are considered fast in this case? I would guess the umpire would probablly take batsmans ability into account to say if it was a dangerous ball or not as well though.

Re: no balls height

I was always under the impression that it was waist height for pace and shoulder for spin. However, I'm not 100% certain.

As for determining which is which, I guess if they use common sense then they'll follow the bowling rules which states that a pace bowler is someone who the keeper would normally stand back from the stumps when keeping to. However, some umpires do seem to take into account the batsman ability (as well as age, place in the line up and so on) when calling it.

Re: no balls height

This is quite a funny one. Different leagues have different rules [which can change from season to season] and it can vary depending on age too. Before every match, I usually get the umpires to agree what height they are going to use and pass that information on to the captains. It matters little then as it will be the same for both teams.

As for umpires 'taking player's ability into consideration', this usually only happens with lower age groups or in friendlies. Otherwise, the bowling rules laid out by mc apply. Although I would emphasise '...keeper would normally stand back from the stumps'.

Just because the keeper is standing up [usually due to inexperience] does not mean it is not 'fast' :D.

Back