No Olympics cricket: thanks, ICC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timmyj51

No Olympics cricket: thanks, ICC

Well, we see the president of the IOC says there's no prospect for
cricket as an Olympic sport, even though he personally likes cricket,
and a lot of IOC national committees want to see it in the games! Why? The ICC hasn't
even bothered to become a recognized sporting body with the IOC!
This is what totally condemns the ICC: they're too damn lazy or arrogant
to even bother to work for cricket, like Americans did to get baseball in
the Olympics.

Re: No Olympics cricket: thanks, ICC

timmyj51;116936 said:
Well, we see the president of the IOC says there's no prospect for
cricket as an Olympic sport, even though he personally likes cricket,
and a lot of IOC national committees want to see it in the games! Why? The ICC hasn't
even bothered to become a recognized sporting body with the IOC!
This is what totally condemns the ICC: they're too damn lazy or arrogant
to even bother to work for cricket, like Americans did to get baseball in
the Olympics.

That all seems a little strident, if justified. Where did you see this story?

You have a point, that the US did work to get Baseball in to the games, but cricket is already a recognised Olympic sport. Once in you don't tend to get thrown out, though the competition may lapse.

The 1900 games, the earliest example I know of, had a recognised medal competition. That may have been the only one, but still, cricket is a recognised Olympic competition none the less.

So the IOC prez might be talking out of his butt hole.:cool:

Zebedee;116973 said:
That all seems a little strident, if justified. Where did you see this story?

You have a point, that the US did work to get Baseball in to the games, but cricket is already a recognised Olympic sport. Once in you don't tend to get thrown out, though the competition may lapse.

The 1900 games, the earliest example I know of, had a recognised medal competition. That may have been the only one, but still, cricket is a recognised Olympic competition none the less.

So the IOC prez might be talking out of his butt hole.:cool:

I actually have heard that before, that the ICC is not registered as an international governing body with the IOC (or something to that effect). The ICC should at least be making an effort to get into the Olympics, but unfortunately I don't think they will do that until a few years from now, when Twenty20 becomes more accepted. If cricket gets in the Olympics, it will have to be Twenty20.

timmyj51;116936 said:
This is what totally condemns the ICC: they're too damn lazy or arrogant to even bother to work for cricket, like Americans did to get baseball in the Olympics.

If it makes you feel any better, IOC has thrown out baseball from the Olympics.

Good chance Yankland will get the 2016 Olympics. If the
InspirationlessCricket Council (aka ICC) would get off its arse and
push to get cricket into the Olympics here's what'd happen:
(1)Yanks would have to build first class cricket grounds. (2) would get
to see 20/20 cricket, the best form for them (3) USA, as host country,
would automatically qualify. Plenty of media attention. And all this would
happen without Inspirationless Cricket Council having to divert
a pence from the other countries they're subsidizing. But why do I
waste my breath?

Not officially recognized by the IOC, eh?
Could this perhaps have anything to do with drug-testing? I would think the IOC wants tough drug testing from all of it's member sports, and the ICC may not be prepared to undertake a potentially massive task like that.
(I realize there's other reasons involved too, but the drug testing must certainly be a factor.)

By the way, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of cricket ever going back to the Olympics. I think it'll depend on how well Twenty20 cricket catches on in the sub-continent. That's obviously the only form of cricket that the Olympics could handle, and if the Twenty20 game gains popularity with the regularly scheduled World Championships, and if India starts to embrace that form of the game, the IOC may see it as a way to more fully involve some countries that haven't been historically strong in the Olympics.

20/20 in the Olympics in any country i think would be popular. i really think it would help expand cricket's (all forms of cricket, not just 20/20) popularity in the world.

Stamislav;117046 said:
I actually have heard that before, that the ICC is not registered as an international governing body with the IOC (or something to that effect). The ICC should at least be making an effort to get into the Olympics, but unfortunately I don't think they will do that until a few years from now, when Twenty20 becomes more accepted. If cricket gets in the Olympics, it will have to be Twenty20.

No it won't. It would be played like the world cup!

pontingsux;124683 said:
No it won't. It would be played like the world cup!

No, if cricket were in the Olympics, it would have to be Twenty20, because there just isn't time for anything else. The Olympics are only about two weeks long, and venues frequently have to be specially built just for the event if the host country doesn't have the facilities for that sport. They're not going to build eight international-caliber cricket pitches. Plus, I think most if not all Olympic tournaments for team sports involve 16 teams, adding to the number of games that have to be played.

"They're not going to build eight international-caliber cricket pitches."

Don't have to. When baseball was in the Olympics only needed one or two
grounds. Same for cricket. Really think having to build a couple of
cricket pitches will in any way deter a city/country from bidding for the
Olympics?

My point was that with only a couple of cricket grounds, only Twenty20 is possible within an Olympic timeframe. You can only play one, maybe two ODIs at a ground in a day, plus you have to allow for the possibility of rain. A standard 16-team Olympic tournament with a group stage would involve 32 matches. There's just not enough time for fifty-overs cricket in the Olympics.

Well, I think everyone's in agreement that 20/20 is the ONLY format that'd
work for cricket in the Olympics. With just two grounds could have two
matches, per day, on each ground, four matches each day. Even with 16 teams would
have no trouble finishing up in two weeks. Logistics have never been
the problem regarding cricket in Olympics. The ICC's got their head in
the Dubai camel crap. THAT'S the problem.

the problem is that some teams wont be able to compete, the West Indies would have to be the different countries and as such wouldnt stand a chance and the english side would have to play as the UK. And it should be noted that there was once Cricket at the olympics, i believe the Uk defeated france in the final

... the West Indies would have to be the different countries and as such wouldnt stand a chance and the english side would have to play as the UK."

Would just open more opportunities for other countries.

tambo;126333 said:
the West Indies would have to be the different countries and as such wouldnt stand a chance and the english side would have to play as the UK.
Nothing wrong with that. Jamaica and Trinidad and Guyana could all field reasonably strong teams. Upsets can happen in a 20-over match, so I wouldn't rule out Jamaica or Trinidad being able to compete for a medal with the big boys.

Plus, it'd give countries like Pakistan the chance to finally win another Olympic medal.

Well, I say Inspirationless Cricket Council is actually doing something to
try and get cricket into the next Commonwealth Games in Scotland. Hopeful
signs that Speedo and Kennedy are beginning to extricate their heads
from the Dubai camel crap. If it'd come off well there could impress
the IOC enough to give the game a look.

Mate you really seem to have it in for the ICC. I too am disapointed that the ICC arn't pursuing the olympics, but can't you give them at least some credit for starting the World Cricket League and the associate ODI's.

" but can't you give them at least some credit for starting the World Cricket League and the associate ODI's."

World Cricket League builds up cricket with the mudhutters and chopstickers. Bring cricket into the Olympics
and you bring it to the attention of the whole sports world. But then, sweeping vision for the future of
your game is hard to come by when you're inhaling camel dung fumes.

timmyj51;129067 said:
...mudhutters and chopstickers.....inhaling camel dung fumes.

Shut up. Just shut up. :mad:

Your "church lady" bull******** was mildly amusing in the beginning. But now it's clear you're a 1-dimensional racist who hasn't left his mom's basement for 10 years and who has no clue how the world works. Using 1-liner racist "shock bombs" may work on National Vanguard. It won't work with investors with money who know where the demand is, and which battles are not worth fighting for their risk tolerance.

Alright, what started out as a thread about why cricket isn't in the Olympics has yet again turned into a thread with abuse being thrown around and racist comments (racist) being made.

I will state once again that if you want to get your own point across on the boards please do so without offending sections of society or abusing other posters. It is just not acceptable and won't be tolerated at all.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back