North A & B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: North A & B

Well what happened at St Albans is no real surprise. It is common knowledge that Brne is a mercenary, and I think he is pretty up front about it. Good cricketer with proven record who is probably worth paying for performance. But just dont expect a loyalty discount when negotiations start for the next season!!

Will it affect St Albans? Well I have spoken to a few guys down there and no one was happy with him. Timmy Mac already left because of him and if Brne had stayed, others may have walked. They are a very young team and Brne's coaching is often about riding guys hard rather than a teaching environment so the kids were not getting much encouragement. Certainly there is a lot less tension around the place which can only make for a better team performance. However, he is/was their best player so you would think making a finals push may now be beyond them.

Dingo_Jones;301894 said:
I agree. How can an intelligent logically thinking executive member/members come to a satisfactory conclusion as to the make up of either comp until they are in full possession of the facts. The facts wont be known until around june or july 2009. E.G. Which clubs want in, which clubs want out.

Personally, I don't see why the Nth."A" comp should be reduced in number simply to add to the numbers in Nth."B". This would mean some clubs in Nth "A". being relegated undeservedly through no fault of there own.

Obviously a 12 team comp is ideal as each team plays each other once. I think a balanced comp is everyones preference. As far as Nth"B" is concerned a 10 or 8 team comp is unbalanced and I know undesirable by most. Where as a 6 team comp, everyone gets to play each other twice. Take a look at the Nth D1 one day sunday comp. They get to play each other four times.

By reducing the number of teams from Nth"A" to 10 simply to bring Nth "B" up to 10 achieves only one thing. Instead of 8 clubs playing in an unbalanced comp, we will have 20. How ordinary will that be. If it were my club in Nth"A" I would be giving an emphatic no.

Happy new year DJ, one of the few times I have to disagree with you! Lets look at the teams who are in the relegation zone if it is 4 teams. Albion, FU,Abers, EK, Seddon and Parkville. Of those sides 4 of them were in the bottom 5 last year and EK did very little if nothing in Senior A1. I don't know what the big deal is with playing every one just once, for many years a 10 team comp has worked well with each side playing every other side in 2 day games and then playing 2 one day games to make up the 11 rounds. Lets look at the 2 teams to progress from B1 Tullamarine and Greenvale who are performimg well in A1. This is a direct result of a competitive B1 comp which at the moment is a disaster given there are 8 sides, one being a clubs third eleven and we have all spoken about Seabrook. The side or sides that progress this year to A1 will find the diffrence a bigger step because the once competitive B1 comp ahs nearly disappeared.

It was a division which was played with the passion of 10 sides trying to progress and play better cricket but their grounding and competitive edge was much more tested than it is now. The sides in the relegation zone may benefit from going down a grade as they have been less than competitive over the last 2 years with the exception of Albion. let's not kid ourselves a 10 team comp is very competitive and would be the case in A1. South A1 play a 10 side comp which doesn't seem to effect the quality of the cricket being played. It may bring some life back into each grade and I guarantee B1 would become a better standard with 10 sides.............. Your thoughts

roy g biv;305393 said:
agree with u there mate.
Clubs who rely on cash to win 1x1 games are only kidding themselves, especially if they are not swimming in $$$'s. If you have funds then good luck to u, after all we live in a capitalist society

spending some poor benefectors had end dough on glorified park cricketers may eran to some success in short term but if u don't look after other grades, 2nds , 3rd etc and especially juniors then u are only writing your own death warrant in the future.

A true club is one which caters the needs of all its menebers juniors, 5ths, 2nds or whatever, if folks are only intersted in 1x1 then why bother having oter grades or club at all simply call urself suburbname1x1.

I have seen a few clubs who no longer exist or struggling to survive who once bought their way to 1x1 success in past to the detrement of other grades ignoring what went on in juniors and other senior grades.

"spot on"

What a load of shit......Brne was just trying to put the club in a good position, i think the club is at fault having dadys boys crying out because they miss out not bowling not batting.. If i can recall this happened a few years ago when Rick Hudson was captain, after 4 rounds got the chop...st albans doing what there good at sacking the good apple..HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Carpos;306416 said:
What a load of shit......Brne was just trying to put the club in a good position, i think the club is at fault having dadys boys crying out because they miss out not bowling not batting.. If i can recall this happened a few years ago when Rick Hudson was captain, after 4 rounds got the chop...st albans doing what there good at sacking the good apple..HAHAHAHAHAHAH

St Albans didn't have any complaints when their international Sammy Patel was bowling 35-40 overs a day. He was voted best player in the comp but they still didn't make finals. What does this club want???

IntoThe Wind;305403 said:
Well what happened at St Albans is no real surprise. It is common knowledge that Brne is a mercenary, and I think he is pretty up front about it. Good cricketer with proven record who is probably worth paying for performance. But just dont expect a loyalty discount when negotiations start for the next season!!

Will it affect St Albans? Well I have spoken to a few guys down there and no one was happy with him. Timmy Mac already left because of him and if Brne had stayed, others may have walked. They are a very young team and Brne's coaching is often about riding guys hard rather than a teaching environment so the kids were not getting much encouragement. Certainly there is a lot less tension around the place which can only make for a better team performance. However, he is/was their best player so you would think making a finals push may now be beyond them.

I've heard alot about SBrne supposedly doing this & doing that to the players @ St Albans, i'm sure he has a side of the story as well. Can anyone honestly say that they would not want him playing for their respective club?

Carpos;306416 said:

So in other words Brne is a generous man trying to put 5 clubs over the last 7 years in 'a good position'. He sounds like a saint.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;306523 said:
So in other words Brne is a generous man trying to put 5 clubs over the last 7 years in 'a good position'. He sounds like a saint.

Does your club only appoint Coaches from within...

Yeah, real generous! Takes money from his home club of albion when they are broke and then when they can't afford him anymore, looks for the largest paycheck! If Brne was such a good bloke, when he left St Albans, why didnt he go back and play the second half of the year at albion? They are last and fighting for relegation, his brother is playing and his dad is president. He could get them 2-3 wins and put them back on course. But no, cash is more appealing than loyalty!

Carpos;306416 said:

Steve Brne walked out, wasnt sacked Carpos.

Seen some predictions for the upcoming round in North A. What about North B?
Werribee Centrals v Hoppers Crossing
Aberfeldie Park v Flemington
Jacana v Moonee Valley
Seabrook v Craigieburn

WC v HC - WC easy
AP v FL - important game 4 v 5. Flem has a nasty run home (plays 2,3 & 5) to try and retain a spot in the 4. AP into the 4 after this round with a win.
JC v MV - game of the round 1 v 2. Jacana will hold top spot even if they lose, but will continue their winning streak with another win at home.
SB v CR - the bogey match. Craigieburn beaten outright recently but on the way back. Seabrook a bit inconsistent but better than what most people think. SB in a close one.
All home teams to kick off 2009 in style.

IntoThe Wind;306535 said:
Yeah, real generous! Takes money from his home club of albion when they are broke and then when they can't afford him anymore, looks for the largest paycheck! If Brne was such a good bloke, when he left St Albans, why didnt he go back and play the second half of the year at albion? They are last and fighting for relegation, his brother is playing and his dad is president. He could get them 2-3 wins and put them back on course. But no, cash is more appealing than loyalty!

Agreed, the decision not to go to Albion and help out the club/family is a bit strange. Dollars may be the reason, maybe just wanted to get out of North A for a while. Can't help thinking what his dad/brother are thinking though!

Rumour has it Pizaro may miss this week giving berth to his his second child. Hopefully his wife will be by his side encouraging him thru it ;). The great man will have to time things better next year attempting number 3!

Roy G Fiz has changed his odds on this news!

Ps Fiz, Results Vault only goes back so long but there is well over 600 club games in our 1sts. 9 out of the 11 have played over 30!! Geez they're like a new team!

Selma Bouvier;306748 said:
Rumour has it Pizaro may miss this week giving berth to his his second child. Hopefully his wife will be by his side encouraging him thru it ;). The great man will have to time things better next year attempting number 3!

Roy G Fiz has changed his odds on this news!

Ps Fiz, Results Vault only goes back so long but there is well over 600 club games in our 1sts. 9 out of the 11 have played over 30!! Geez they're like a new team!

Touchy!!! Good to see.

OK then enlighten us how many of the current 1x1 are playing for free and how many have Greenvale Bought for their services.

Pal my only criticism of clubs like greenvale is that they buy their way to success and there are plenty other clubs like that in VTCA. So nothing personal.

Rumor was that greenvale also made enquiries about Ash Manning after his falling out with CC there,Also U blokes must be sad S Byrne has gone to CYMS, imagine if u got him u would have 8/11 with 30 games or more. Geez i guess $$$'s has nothing to do with ur 1X1 cricket and EDFL results in recent years!

Read some of your posts and there is a real hatred there. Spin round coz I' heard someone say your a*re was on fire. You checked didn't ya fizzer

You talk about blokes like Kent getting paid when they have played 200 games for the club since under 10's??. You just spread absolute tripe about fantasy rumours you hear third hand with not one once of truth. Your proved wrong and you guessed it you come back with more shtye rumours

Trying to label us "one of those clubs" proves the peanut you are. Geez we are a club that is trying to bulid a real club for the long term. Seconds have won 4 flags in a row, basically the same 1sts side for years win or lose, have 6 senior sides, truckloads of juniors and ohh probably the key is the players personally contibute to our second turf ground for our 3's and 4's (almost built), our 8 wicket deck paid for by ourselves to get off the mats, the new lights, the nets etc etc the list goes on.

Dear me Roy,

You touched a nerve.
I do have to say, spoke to someone (5ths player and parent of Kids in Juniors) from GV the other day and the word is, Coach keen to be there for the long term (tick) extra grounds coming along so more players on turf(tick) senior players pitching in with juniors and young players coming through(tick) 6 teams in seniors and double plus that in juniors(tick) and volunteers a plenty that dont mind getting sweaty in getting things done(tick)

Before you shoot the messenger, yes this happens at many clubs, its GV thats the subject isnt it? Can only hope my kid gets to play with a club like this that has a positive view for the future of the club as a whole not just one team.

It seems some have a bug to bear about nothing. Lets talk about positives of this comp and the achievements of many.

Last piece of info i discovered - GV didnt even toy with the idea of Byrne, honestly why would they want him.

Question for Selmier who gets the last tick.
Roy - sorry mate you get a cross.

Do you like the Simpsons?

ROY G BIV;304940 said:
OK Pretty good summation here Dingo. Knowlege which i bet u gained through gettting ur hands dirty in the thick of runnnig a local Club. Sounds like u know what is needed to be competitive in park cricket.

What do u reckon it takes to be a strong club in Nth A, by strong i mean vying for Flags, year in year out and obviously snatching one every now n then. Can you tell us the what's required in a similar manner as u did above for Nth B.

It's clear the higher the grade you play in Vtca ie. Sen A or Sen Division the deeper the pockets a club needs to have along with a good soild squad of 12-15 blokes who can play 1X1 cricket.

Also the real solid clubs have a very compettive culture not just in 1X1 but also in other so called lower grades 2nds,3rd's & of course juniors etc.

Interested in your take on this?

You hit the nail right on the head there Roy. Providing all the fundamentals are in place ie. strong junior squad and 4 senior teams, a Nth "A" club needs a budget of 15-25,000 dollars annually. Over a period of 5 consecutive seasons they should be able to pull out at least one premiership. Preferrably in the first three years. Reason being, once you obtain the gun players other clubs will start making a play for them.

Spending the above amount annually does not mean a club will get it right immediately. Some of the imports will have to be culled as they may not measure up. Too many clubs make the mistake of hanging on to them for too long.

The next question is. How do we build a gun team to ensure a finals birth? Do you want me to go on?

Guru14;305412 said:
Happy new year DJ, one of the few times I have to disagree with you! Lets look at the teams who are in the relegation zone if it is 4 teams. Albion, FU,Abers, EK, Seddon and Parkville. Of those sides 4 of them were in the bottom 5 last year and EK did very little if nothing in Senior A1. I don't know what the big deal is with playing every one just once, for many years a 10 team comp has worked well with each side playing every other side in 2 day games and then playing 2 one day games to make up the 11 rounds. Lets look at the 2 teams to progress from B1 Tullamarine and Greenvale who are performimg well in A1. This is a direct result of a competitive B1 comp which at the moment is a disaster given there are 8 sides, one being a clubs third eleven and we have all spoken about Seabrook. The side or sides that progress this year to A1 will find the diffrence a bigger step because the once competitive B1 comp ahs nearly disappeared.

It was a division which was played with the passion of 10 sides trying to progress and play better cricket but their grounding and competitive edge was much more tested than it is now. The sides in the relegation zone may benefit from going down a grade as they have been less than competitive over the last 2 years with the exception of Albion. let's not kid ourselves a 10 team comp is very competitive and would be the case in A1. South A1 play a 10 side comp which doesn't seem to effect the quality of the cricket being played. It may bring some life back into each grade and I guarantee B1 would become a better standard with 10 sides.............. Your thoughts
Happy new year to you too Guru. The points that you make Guru are quite valid as usual.

My main reason for suggesting it would be unwise for Nth "A" to go to a ten team comp is that a team in 5th spot is likely to play a humpty dumpty team for a 2nd time in the last round. Win outright and gain an extra four to five points thus enabling them to reshape the final four.

Secondly re Tulla and Greenvale. Yes Nth"B" may have been a stronger comp when they were in it. But surely some credit must go to there respective execs for setting up conditions thus getting there teams competitive enough to play a good standard in Nth"A".

Thirdly the lack of umpires in Nth"B' is a problem. Teams that are struggling in Nth "A" should not be relegated out of hand when they have'nt earnt it.

NorthClubsDontPayPlayers;305360 said:
What are people's thoughts on S Brne leaving St Albans mid season to join Willy CY in Senior A?

What kind of person is he? How much will this hurt St Albans?

Just had a quick check

01/02 Albion
02/03 Keilor
03/04 Keilor
04/05 East Keilor
05/06 Keilor
06/07 Keilor
07/08 Albion
08/09 St Albans & Willy CY

Amazing!!!
He is obviously a gun for hire. There aint nothin wrong with that. Take the old wild west, W.G. Grace, multi million dollar corporation execs, prostitution. Now there's an old profession. He's put himself out there as a pro and clubs are willing to pay. Six clubs have taken him on board in recent times.

If the guy can play cricket, you don't have to like him.

In Nth"A" and Nth"B" he is a quality all rounder and averages 20 plus with the bat. I imagine he will do the same in Senior "A".

As a coach or team leader a club would have to be wary about that.

Reminds me of a Word War 2 vet who once told me "As a person, I could'nt stand the **************". But on the front line He would be the first one I would want along side me"

Selma Bouvier;307035 said:
Read some of your posts and there is a real hatred there. Spin round coz I' heard someone say your a*re was on fire. You checked didn't ya fizzer

You talk about blokes like Kent getting paid when they have played 200 games for the club since under 10's??. You just spread absolute tripe about fantasy rumours you hear third hand with not one once of truth. Your proved wrong and you guessed it you come back with more shtye rumours

Trying to label us "one of those clubs" proves the peanut you are. Geez we are a club that is trying to bulid a real club for the long term. Seconds have won 4 flags in a row, basically the same 1sts side for years win or lose, have 6 senior sides, truckloads of juniors and ohh probably the key is the players personally contibute to our second turf ground for our 3's and 4's (almost built), our 8 wicket deck paid for by ourselves to get off the mats, the new lights, the nets etc etc the list goes on.

It was good to read your brief run down on what your club is trying to achieve. Looks like your club may become another Hoppers Crossing being close to the developing suburbs where there is an over supply of kids. I mention Hoppers because 15 years ago they had so many kids they ran there own comp.

Lets hope that with the amount of money your club seems to be able to generate, you will one day become serious challengers in Seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back