Odi: Is 1 Day Cricket Doomed?

Lol, but it is the reason for my nick! I actually have the word Mugshot tattooed on my back! Either way, Im glad for the banter, we need more of that round here. Seems there is a small group of us regulars, I wish more would join in the fun!
Considering how busy the Cricket board is on bigfooty, I am surprised how quiet this site is. But as Ljp86 has kind of eluded to me before, people actually like to talk about actual cricket here.

I totally want to poach some users from PlanetCricket -- that place is alright, but is stupidly big! There are 100 members online right now; that number of people is a good size for a whole forum.

I totally want to poach some users from PlanetCricket -- that place is alright, but is stupidly big! There are 100 members online right now; that number of people is a good size for a whole forum.

That's why I can't be bothered with PlanetCricket anymore. Plus there is not a lot of "intelligent" cricket discussion on there.

I don't think ODI cricket is doomed as long as it keeps pulling the kinds of attendances that the recent Australian summer matches did.

I think you also have to remember that a lot of the development cricket around the world is 50 overs (e.g. u19 World Cup). You make those tournaments 20 overs and they lose a lot of their relevance to developing Test players.

ODI cricket will probably diminish in importance but I can't see it disappearing any time in the foreseeable future.

Considering how busy the Cricket board is on bigfooty, I am surprised how quiet this site is. But as Ljp86 has kind of eluded to me before, people actually like to talk about actual cricket here.

Thats true, I have been on other forums and found that this is the one I only really bother with. I think the reason is clear, we only wish to talk about real cricket where other forums do tend to harp on about things I dont think are worthy. some of the ones I have been on have endless topics and you go in to find you cant be bothered to reply! Here I want to reply to most :)

I don't think ODI cricket is doomed as long as it keeps pulling the kinds of attendances that the recent Australian summer matches did.

I think you also have to remember that a lot of the development cricket around the world is 50 overs (e.g. u19 World Cup). You make those tournaments 20 overs and they lose a lot of their relevance to developing Test players.

ODI cricket will probably diminish in importance but I can't see it disappearing any time in the foreseeable future.

I certainly hope you are right. We have seen amazing development in ODI cricket over the years. I have loved the way Sri-Lanka changed the game and then other teams took up the model and suddenly 300 was not out of the question. Hell we have seen 400+ to win and a double ton. There is so much more to ODI and so much more that can yet happen. I just don't see that depth in T20.

ODIs should be replaced with 1 day declaration games on sporting pitches, far more fun, introduce people to some of the best concepts inherent to Test Cricket like draws and declarations but in a more immediately accessible format.

ODIs should be replaced with 1 day declaration games on sporting pitches, far more fun, introduce people to some of the best concepts inherent to Test Cricket like draws and declarations but in a more immediately accessible format.

That's an interesting idea. The only problem I can see is that it'd make ODI's longer and make it more difficult for young families to get along to the game.

That's an interesting idea. The only problem I can see is that it'd make ODI's longer and make it more difficult for young families to get along to the game.

Unfortunately you're probably right, it works with amateurs but in the professional game the advantage is too far towards the batsman - it would be impossible to regularly bowl international quality sides out in an afternoon. Unless the pitch was really, really sporting.

However sometimes declaration games have their own internal feedback mechanism. If you still limited the game to 100 overs total, then perhaps the high scoring rate needed to win would lead to wickets falling.

Unfortunately you're probably right, it works with amateurs but in the professional game the advantage is too far towards the batsman - it would be impossible to regularly bowl international quality sides out in an afternoon. Unless the pitch was really, really sporting.

However sometimes declaration games have their own internal feedback mechanism. If you still limited the game to 100 overs total, then perhaps the high scoring rate needed to win would lead to wickets falling.

Yeah. I like the idea but I also like ODI's how they are now so I'm kinda torn haha.

I love my ODI, not keen on T20...I like the idea but would want to keep the ODI format constrained so it doesnt go on longer than it already does...if you know what I mean :confused:

Also, if you make ODI's longer then it wrecks all the current records which would be a massive shame!

Also, if you make ODI's longer then it wrecks all the current records which would be a massive shame!

Never thought of that, very good point. Change the format and all your historical records are out of the window as they start getting demolished, major shame for all those who put in massive performances in for their teams.

I THINK ICC IS DOING THE WRONG THING.THE PLAYERS HAVE NO REST AND CONTINOUSLY PLAYING CRICKET.

The ICC? well we all know they are weak and have no courage but if anyone is overdoing the cricket it would be the BCCI with all the oneday, T20 cricket for gambling. And now the match fixing, Oh dear it is a mess.

No. No it really isn't. India holds some nations to ransom, and the other large nations are complicit in anthing that advances their own interests above those of the game. The ICC is only as powerful as the most powerful national boards allow - that is, not at all.
you say the bcci is more powerful right.

Back