ODI XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Boris;385586 said:
As I said on the other thread, you can't use stats for Hopes. Does something good every game.

White averaged 12 after 4 games when batting in the same spot as Hopes does. Can't expect Hopes to average more than 20 when all he has to do is score 10 quick runs at the death.

The thing is though, he has a habit of scoring when needed. His nickname isn't Mr Fix It for nothing.

Plus he is a bowling all rounder anyway, bowls just as well as every other full time bowler... but he can be a pinch hitter or even an opening batsman (which he has done well to my knowledge). Stretches the batting right out.

The commentators tonight said the only reason he wasn't in the side was due to a hamstring injury suffered in the T20 the other night. Not sure if that is true, but I can see him coming back for the next game.
Hopes has batted at the top of the order and failed there as well, but batting at no7 you would expect alot more not outs like Hussey these days or Bevan in the past

But I cant see him coming back for the next game, they dropped him from the squad due to them thinking QLD would be playing in the T20 final tomorrow night

eddiesmith;385588 said:
Hopes has batted at the top of the order and failed there as well, but batting at no7 you would expect alot more not outs like Hussey these days or Bevan in the past

But I cant see him coming back for the next game, they dropped him from the squad due to them thinking QLD would be playing in the T20 final tomorrow night

That makes no sense.

Mousey;385589 said:
That makes no sense.
They made specific mention of the T20 final when naming the squads and were going to try and make as little disruption to some domestic teams whilst still picking a full strength Aussie side so instead of carrying around a squad they would only name 12, so they drop Hopes for the 2nd game allowing him to go to Adelaide if needed

Obviously a little bit of sarcastic 'conspiracy theory' but still it is interesting that no QLD or SA player was selected for the 2nd game and they pull in Voges as the allrounder?

eddiesmith;385592 said:
They made specific mention of the T20 final when naming the squads and were going to try and make as little disruption to some domestic teams whilst still picking a full strength Aussie side so instead of carrying around a squad they would only name 12, so they drop Hopes for the 2nd game allowing him to go to Adelaide if needed

Obviously a little bit of sarcastic 'conspiracy theory' but still it is interesting that no QLD or SA player was selected for the 2nd game and they pull in Voges as the allrounder?

Yeah, but Victoria is playing, not Queensland. I have no idea what CA was thinking if that's the case. We've still got White, McKay and Siddle in the side that are playing in the final.

For all the vitrole directed at Pakistan this summer it must be sand that they have the makings of a very good team in all forms of the game.

I was really impressed with that Aamer last night, bowling at express pace with late movement. With constant cricket they will surprise a few teams this year, they play England later on this year, conditions which you think Asif and Aamer will thrive in.

Hopes has a hamstring problem, brought on by his not so frivoulous innings in the T20 prelim. He has done nothing to warrant his dropping, so pushing him out of the team when there is Marsh, Clarke, Siddle, Mckay and even Bollinger to an extent all with more reason to be dropped than him. I would think there has to be something else.

Mousey;385623 said:
Yeah, but Victoria is playing, not Queensland. I have no idea what CA was thinking if that's the case. We've still got White, McKay and Siddle in the side that are playing in the final.
Side was named over a week ago when Victoria didnt look like even making the prelim and QLD had crushed NSW

But its all some fun, the funny thing is most people took Hilditchs comment to mean that everyone would be released to play the Big Bash final

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385624 said:
For all the vitrole directed at Pakistan this summer it must be sand that they have the makings of a very good team in all forms of the game.

I was really impressed with that Aamer last night, bowling at express pace with late movement. With constant cricket they will surprise a few teams this year, they play England later on this year, conditions which you think Asif and Aamer will thrive in.

It wasn't vitriol. I simply rejected a suggestion that they were in with as good a chance as ever of rolling us. The 3-0 Test scoreline spoke for itself.

I did concede they would have their moments, and that there was talent amongst their squad (just not enough of it). Their bowlers have been very good, and Asif impresses me greatly. They can't bat anywhere near well enough for this level though - something which their captain pointed out upon arriving here.

They will be better in the one-day series, but they're still significantly behind the team you said yourself was "The best in the world without a doubt".

I don't think this showing of the bowling line up tonight was a true example of their capabilities.

I won't say anymore on them though, I would be trying to take away from a very good performance.

Not the best game I have seen ever though, quite ordinary for mine, which is a strange thing for me to say, especially since I absolutely love ODIs.

Sober Symonds;385765 said:
It wasn't vitriol. I simply rejected a suggestion that they were in with as good a chance as ever of rolling us. The 3-0 Test scoreline spoke for itself.

I did concede they would have their moments, and that there was talent amongst their squad (just not enough of it). Their bowlers have been very good, and Asif impresses me greatly. They can't bat anywhere near well enough for this level though - something which their captain pointed out upon arriving here.

They will be better in the one-day series, but they're still significantly behind the team you said yourself was "The best in the world without a doubt".

I never said they had a good chance of rolling us in the test matchs, I simply said that they have the makings of a decent side, on their day, they can beat anyone in the world.

The Gabba and the SCG wickets were not to their liking, especially the batsmen, who struggled with the life and bounce in both of those decks. Our bowlers didn't get it right at the Gabba but at the SCG they clicked and Pakistan got rolled.

Pakistan are a capable cricket team, I think they play us again in England as well as England themselves, they will be a different team over there with the lower and slower wickets and the seam friendly conditions.

Just a little thing I have picked up, I don't like White's finishing ability. Given plenty of time he is fine, but come the end of the game he turns into a hack and gets himself out when he should be adding those quick runs. Not complaining about a century and then a half century back to back, but I think he should be higher. He doesn't have a firm technique either.

Look at Hussey and Haddin, two great finishers. They work the singles and twos around and then take on the big hit when it's there. Then with the big hit it's just an extension to the normal classical strokes. White so far for Australia in all of his games has gotten out almost exclusively playing downright stupid shots charging down the wicket and trying to do the big old hack, paying no attention at all to technique, making him look like a tailender for just that ball.

Maybe a move up the order would be best. Do you think he would be able to open? Other than that a point on how to improvehis game.

Boris;385798 said:
Just a little thing I have picked up, I don't like White's finishing ability. Given plenty of time he is fine, but come the end of the game he turns into a hack and gets himself out when he should be adding those quick runs. Not complaining about a century and then a half century back to back, but I think he should be higher. He doesn't have a firm technique either.

Look at Hussey and Haddin, two great finishers. They work the singles and twos around and then take on the big hit when it's there. Then with the big hit it's just an extension to the normal classical strokes. White so far for Australia in all of his games has gotten out almost exclusively playing downright stupid shots charging down the wicket and trying to do the big old hack, paying no attention at all to technique, making him look like a tailender for just that ball.

Maybe a move up the order would be best. Do you think he would be able to open? Other than that a point on how to improvehis game.

I know what you mean, White can have the tendency to throw technique aside and try to clear the fence. But due to his good run of late it's hard to criticize. Personally I'd love too see him bat at 4 but i can't see him batting any higher than that. And if he keeps going as he is, that's just not going to happen any time soon. He is at his best when he has time to settle himself at the crease before he starts to rip apart the bowling attack. But we've all seen him walk out and throw the kitchen sink at everything, unfortunately, most of these times he has been batting in the living room.

Amazing to see a player being criticised for trying to clear the fence for every ball in the last over when the team had plenty of wickets in hand...

eddiesmith;385805 said:
Amazing to see a player being criticised for trying to clear the fence for every ball in the last over when the team had plenty of wickets in hand...
Of course, you're welcome to quote the person who criticised White for hitting out in that over.

There's plenty of ways to refute the idea that White's an impulsive slogger without erecting straw men. It might even help people take your legitimate arguments more seriously, rather than disregard everything you say about Victorians and New South Welshmen as one-eyed ranting.

eddiesmith;385805 said:

I'm not critisising the fact that he scored two very good scores it a great fashion, but as soon as those last couple of overs came he went a little too over the top. He does things like charge a fast bowler every second ball and go for the good old hoick over mid wicket.

Whereas you have Haddin, hits a six with just an extension to his normal shot, just lofts it and he got 27 runs from 14 balls. Hussey doesn't hit many boundaries at all, doesn't attempt it, until those last couple of overs, and if he doesn't get the right ball to do so then he still gets a one or two from it. He bats at a strike rate of 100-150 so often without hitting more than one or two fours for a 50.

White bats at around 100 the entire way to his century, playing good stokes. Then comes the last over and all of a sudden his strike rate has dropped 20% and his technique goes out the window.

I feel bad for critisising negatively for someone just scoring a century and a 50 in consecutive matches, but there are always ways somebody can improve their game, and since he is so young he should be very willing to take this sort of information on.

Boris;385864 said:
I'm not critisising the fact that he scored two very good scores it a great fashion, but as soon as those last couple of overs came he went a little too over the top. He does things like charge a fast bowler every second ball and go for the good old hoick over mid wicket.

Whereas you have Haddin, hits a six with just an extension to his normal shot, just lofts it and he got 27 runs from 14 balls. Hussey doesn't hit many boundaries at all, doesn't attempt it, until those last couple of overs, and if he doesn't get the right ball to do so then he still gets a one or two from it. He bats at a strike rate of 100-150 so often without hitting more than one or two fours for a 50.

White bats at around 100 the entire way to his century, playing good stokes. Then comes the last over and all of a sudden his strike rate has dropped 20% and his technique goes out the window.

I feel bad for critisising negatively for someone just scoring a century and a 50 in consecutive matches, but there are always ways somebody can improve their game, and since he is so young he should be very willing to take this sort of information on.
The trouble is during the rest of his innings he has put away his old habits of smashing everything and the 6's he hit are just as you describe Haddins play, an extension of good shots such as that flick over midwicket last night, but maybe he does go a little crazy at the end of the innings, but with wickets in hand its worth the risk and with the field up if you throw everything at it, you will usually atleast get a couple of runs for each shot

It may look ugly but so what?

eddiesmith;385903 said:
The trouble is during the rest of his innings he has put away his old habits of smashing everything and the 6's he hit are just as you describe Haddins play, an extension of good shots such as that flick over midwicket last night, but maybe he does go a little crazy at the end of the innings, but with wickets in hand its worth the risk and with the field up if you throw everything at it, you will usually atleast get a couple of runs for each shot

It may look ugly but so what?

I wouldn't raise the point at all if it just looked a little ugly, but he has gotten out both times before the real 'death' of an innings, the real hit out. To start with he doesn't have a good technique, he's a bit everywhere, but obviously it works so that doesn't matter for now, but if you can't hang around to the end and make someone else come in with two overs to go you either have a lot of trust in your teammates, are selfish, or just don't have that skill. I would like to see White come in at 3 or 4, even opening, rather than at 5 where he makes big scores and puts himself in that position. Leave the end batting for the masters of it, and leave the start of the innings batting for the masters of that.

Really like the current one day batting side.

Paine will replace Haddin soon, but theres no rush and the only other one good enough to knock one of the current members out would be Warner, but atm he isnt a top6 one day batsmen. Fantastic side (Y)

Would just cahnge the bowling side... I think we should give S Smith at least one go against Pakistan this series - give Hauritz a break. And with all our current injuries etc our best pace bowling attack would be imo:

Johnson (who will come back into the side at perth)
Siddle
Tait

But anyhow, I'm extremely happy with the current team :)

Fair enough, and good to hear from you maxrm.

It's always hard fitting in all our good players when the team is doing so well. If only we could be truly tested, it would sort things out better for us, but you can only beat the opposition put before you.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;385794 said:
I never said they had a good chance of rolling us in the test matchs, I simply said that they have the makings of a decent side, on their day, they can beat anyone in the world.

The Gabba and the SCG wickets were not to their liking, especially the batsmen, who struggled with the life and bounce in both of those decks. Our bowlers didn't get it right at the Gabba but at the SCG they clicked and Pakistan got rolled.

Pakistan are a capable cricket team, I think they play us again in England as well as England themselves, they will be a different team over there with the lower and slower wickets and the seam friendly conditions.

... And I never said you said that. (Boris did!;))

I appreciate what you're saying but nothing that I've seen or heard has changed my mind. They're still ordinary, regardless of what wicket they've played on round the country.

I hope you're right about Pakistan in that they will play better in England. Honestly though, their batting and fielding ineptitude is quite serious, and something that will take a bit more than favourable surfaces to overcome.

Any of the leading teams, on their day, could beat another. No argument there.

Back