Oiling and Knocking in your bat!

Re: Oiling and Knocking in your bat!

Wait, isn't it hard before you oil it? Or so it says in the first post. The purpose of oiling seems to be softening the wood.

the purpose of oiling a bat is to keep the wood supple and protect it from cracking / water etc.

when you buy a new bat they generally are "pressed" or pre knocked in. however the process of knocking in a bat is to compress the wood even further so you dont damage it! and obviously to increase the performance.

I tend not to knock in my bats, I'll stick a scuff sheet on take it to the nets and have some light throwdowns with an old ball. Then maybe move on to give some catches and fielding work with it.

I'll then give the bat to my younger brother to use in the nets with his mates. Only with good quality balls though.

However if you're buying from a retailer it is best to follow their instructions, reason being your warranty. If you haven't knocked your bat in then if it cracks they can worm their way out of it!

I got my new bat around the beginning of the season and it came with a protective cover thing on the face. As a result I didn't oil it but I was playing in the rain a few weeks ago and the back of the bat got a bit wet, it dried off well but it looks a bit kind dry on the back. Should I oil the back and/or edges of the bat even though it's got a plastic cover on the face??

Yeah, you should put a bit of oil on the back, just helps to keep the bat from drying out etc.

Only bit a little bit and try it in the corner or on a small area first to check its not going to make any water damage worse.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=BCfOQpwqp8I"]YouTube - How to knock in a cricket bat[/ame]

What would you guys/girls think about oiling and knocking in a bat, and then sticking a protective cover on it? (you know, just to make sure)

If you want to put a cover on it, then don't bother oiling the face of the bat. The oil stops the cover sticking properly, meaning that at best it wrinkles, at worst it comes off.

Best thing to do is put a cover on first of all, then apply a small amount of oil to the back of the bat to help keep some moisture in - you don't need a great amount for this.

mas cambios;28911 said:
If you want to put a cover on it, then don't bother oiling the face of the bat. The oil stops the cover sticking properly, meaning that at best it wrinkles, at worst it comes off.

Best thing to do is put a cover on first of all, then apply a small amount of oil to the back of the bat to help keep some moisture in - you don't need a great amount for this.

Thanks for the advice, i expected the answer to be something along the lines of this but wondered if i should put it on a week or two after oiling, to give it a chance to dry.

having said that i have done both. i regulally keep my bat oiled and in good shape, but it developed a crack from a yorker in the toe, so i repaired it and then put a cover over the toe area for a little extra protection....... been fine and stayed on perfectly.

think it was the gray nicholls sheet protection......

Back