One Day Squad for this Summer

Jolldo87

One Day Squad for this Summer

A squad of 14 will probably be chosen.

I'd pick something like this:
Hopes
Hayden (Assuming he keeps playing ODI's)
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Symonds
Haddin
Johnson
Bracken
Siddle

Jaques (If he's fit), Heal (Need a spinner), Tait (If he's fit)

No Lee assuming he's not fit.

Re: One Day Squad for this Summer

I think Watson deserves a run and maybe Warner for a game or two but apart from that very nice looking squad Jolldo

postmanpav;301630 said:
I think Watson deserves a run and maybe Warner for a game or two but apart from that very nice looking squad Jolldo

Watson is injured. Warner hasn't done enough for long enough (though he is another good prospect).

I would maybe choose Doherty or Hauritz ahead of Heal (though it's all pretty even), and White should be considered in the lineup as well.

BabyBlues;301634 said:
Watson is injured. Warner hasn't done enough for long enough (though he is another good prospect).

I would maybe choose Doherty or Hauritz ahead of Heal (though it's all pretty even), and White should be considered in the lineup as well.

Didn't realise Watson's injury was long term, and would probably put Hauritz ahead of Heal but certainly not Doherty.

postmanpav;301636 said:
Didn't realise Watson's injury was long term, and would probably put Hauritz ahead of Heal but certainly not Doherty.

Meh, I rate Doherty in the one-day form. Though to be honest I haven't kept particularly close tabs on his recent form.

Theres also Geeves from Tassie as well, played against Bangladesh in the top end series and the 20/20 game at the start of the summer.

BabyBlues;301646 said:
Meh, I rate Doherty in the one-day form. Though to be honest I haven't kept particularly close tabs on his recent form.

Dave Hussey hit him for 22 off an over in the T20.

6 4 4 4 4 .

postmanpav;301657 said:
Dave Hussey hit him for 22 off an over in the T20.

6 4 4 4 4 .

So? If the average run rate of a T20 is around 9, and the average run rate of an ODI is around 5, that's the equivalent of a 12 run over in a ODI.

Let's go through how the spinning options have performed so far in the Ford Ranger Cup this season:

Code:
           Overs   Wickets   Average   Economy   Age     
Doherty     66        7       46.42     4.92     26
White       12        1        60        5       25
Hauritz     67        6       46.66     4.17     27
Heal        61       10       25.40     4.16     25
Smith	    36        6       31.66     5.27     19
Krejza      7         1        45       6.42     25
Cullen      44.3      5       46.60     5.23     24
Holland     37        3       57.66     4.67     21

Has to be Heal imo.

Jolldo87;301678 said:
Let's go through how the spinning options have performed so far in the Ford Ranger Cup this season:

Code:
           Overs   Wickets   Average   Economy   Age     
Doherty     66        7       46.42     4.92     26
White       12        1        60        5       25
Hauritz     67        6       46.66     4.17     27
Heal        61       10       25.40     4.16     25
Smith	    36        6       31.66     5.27     19
Krejza      7         1        45       6.42     25
Cullen      44.3      5       46.60     5.23     24
Holland     37        3       57.66     4.67     21

Has to be Heal imo.

All I needed to change my mind. :)

I hadn't realised how well he was doing this season. I haven't been able to catch as much domestic cricket this year. :(

I'm liking Smith as well, not right now (economy is too poor, and he's probably too raw), but plenty of potential there. He's a middle-order batsman as well.

BabyBlues;301694 said:
All I needed to change my mind. :)

I hadn't realised how well he was doing this season. I haven't been able to catch as much domestic cricket this year. :(

I'm liking Smith as well, not right now (economy is too poor, and he's probably too raw), but plenty of potential there. He's a middle-order batsman as well.

Yeah, Smith is definitely one for the future.

Whilst none of our spin options are outstanding at least they are all young so there is potential for one of them to improve and turn into a world class bowler.

What about Tasmanian Butterworth? Dunno about the short version of the game but he recently ran through somebody in a 4-day game.

I don't no much about him.

You know anything Jolldo?

Hmmm, Heal's gone a lot better than I thought. Those stats are pretty impressive, his Twenty20 stats are pretty good also. I reckon he might be a chance to debut in one of the Twenty20's this summer. Same with Doherty.

Ponting (c)
Clarke (vc)
Marsh
Hopes
M Hussey
D Hussey
Symonds
Haddin
Johnson
Bracken
Geeves
Doherty/Heal
Tait
North

That's my squad. Hayden not good enough at the moment, Marsh's one-day form earlier in the year was solid and deserves another crack, Hopes to open with him. Then the usuals, Ponting, Clarke, two Husseys, Symonds (if he's fit - if not then he's out). Bowling department is Johnson, Bracken, Geeves and either one of Doherty or Heal to be the spinner. Tait as the back-up quick and North as the back-up batter. North's been in super form and his off-spin will come in more than handy if needed. Haddin is of course the keeper.

A couple of different selections but the selectors need to try some people out, especially with the Ashes coming up, the World Cup is only about two and half years away now, they need to be getting into that frame of mind soon.

postmanpav said:
What about Tasmanian Butterworth? Dunno about the short version of the game but he recently ran through somebody in a 4-day game.

Has some genuine potential. I remember his game in Tasmania's Pura Cup final win a couple of seasons ago. Absolutely dominated and he has bowled well of late. I think he took 5/17 against Queensland a few weeks ago. More of a bowling all-rounder and his medium-fast comes in very handy. Needs to be more consistent before getting onto the selection radar.

I rate him in my opinion.

14 Man Squad

R.Ponting (c)
M.Clarke (vc)
S.Marsh
J.Hopes
M.Hussey
D.Hussey
A.Symonds
B.Haddin
P.Siddle
N.Bracken
B.Geeves
X.Doherty
B.Hilfenhaus
M.North

I reckon they will rest Johnson, has had a very hard work-load of late.

postmanpav;301701 said:

No chance.

I tried looking up his stats but it only went down to a batting average of 21.25. :eek:

Andrew McDonald or Michael Klinger - a genuine chance?? What more do these two need to do? Throw in Dom Thornley as well...

Jaffa;301798 said:
Andrew McDonald or Michael Klinger - a genuine chance?? What more do these two need to do? Throw in Dom Thornley as well...

We have plenty of all rounders better than McDonald in one dayers and Klinger needs to perform for more than half a season.

My side:

S. Marsh
J. Hopes
R. Ponting
M. Clarke
M. Hussey/D. Hussey
A. Symonds/D. Hussey
B. Haddin
M. Johnson
N. Bracken
X. Doherty/Heal
B. Hilfenhaus

Don't like Geeves. I don't think he's up to international cricket. Not sure about Heal and Doherty, I haven't seen too much domestic cricket first hand this year. I'd have Doherty first, but apparently Heal is in great touch. D. Hussey is a great player, I love him, but M. Hussey is great also and a fit Symonds is a must in the one day form. So if M. Hussey continues this major lapse in form or Symonds is out of touch he'll play. I've picked four bowlers as aposed to Jolldo's because I don't think Symonds and D. Hussey or Clarke or whom ever he was thinking can bowl 10 overs each.

Mousey;301832 said:
I've picked four bowlers as aposed to Jolldo's because I don't think Symonds and D. Hussey or Clarke or whom ever he was thinking can bowl 10 overs each.

I think 20 overs between Symonds, Hopes, Clarke and Dave Hussey is easily workable and adds great depth to our batting.

Back