One of the most stupid thing batsmen do

gandalf

One of the most stupid thing batsmen do

Kevin Pieterson does it all the time, but he's not the only one. When batsmen are taking a run and they run past the crease bat in the air and taking long easy jogging strides. The potential is, if the bats in the air and both feet off the ground and the ball hits the stumps - you are out. It pisses me off to no end when I see it - how can they be so careless? Especially now days with the television referrals. Surely its only a matter of time before someone is given out doing it.

Re: One of the most stupid thing batsmen do

I agree there.

It would take quite a freakish throw I would think to be perfectly timed in between steps, there isn't much time between time when the foot is touching the ground and when it is not.

I don't think there is a problem with that.

A few years back during the 03/04 seaon when Australia played Sri Lanka in a 3 match test series a similar thing happened with Matthew Hayden.

Back then cricinfo had ball by ball commentary but it wasn't as descriptive as it is now, it was just like this:-

Anderson to Ponting: FOUR

Anderson to Ponting: dot

Anderson to Ponting: SIX

Therefore it's not possible to check the archives on cricinfo to get an accurate description of the incident, but from memory it happened on Day 1 of the first test.

From memory Hayden had gone for quick single and a throw came in with a direct hit and a subsequent appeal which was referred to the 3rd umpire. Hayden's bat had been grounded behind the crease originally but for some reason he had raised it again afterwards.

However one of Hayden's feet had landed on the crease so that Hayden's foot was halfway behind the crease. He wasn't out but from memory the commentators said that once you ground your bat or a bit of our body behind the crease it doesn't matter if both feet are in the air and the bat isn't on the ground - you can't be run out.

I hope that makes sense, from memory it was a unique incident with Hayden and I distinctly remember seeing it as I watched the day's play. I'll do a google search and see if I can find anything more on the incident.

I hadn't seen anything like it before that incident or since.

I have seen similar sorts of thing, but all like that and not out. Can't give too many examples, one was of Ishant Sharma in the last Indian series back here, Symonds let rip and hit the stumps but as Sharma's bat crossed the line he dropped it and the ball struck while he was still outside of the crease. But because his bat was across the line before he dropped it he was determined to have made his ground and although when the bails were dislodged he was out of his ground he was still called safe.

Once a batsman makes their ground they are declared safe. It's really only the initial touch over the line that counts.

But there are some exceptions depending on the umpires at the time. If a batsman is not paying proper attention to the game they may be ruled out for leaving their crease or not making an effort to obtain ones ground in reasonable time or fashion. Anything deemed not cricket. These decisions would be really rare and the umpire that made them would most likely come under scrutiny for them.

Saying this though, a batsman should ALWAYS slide their bat in unless they are watching the ball and see the throw coming in from the boundary for example is still 50 metres away. Common sense. If they don't ground their bat and running across the line and happen to be in the air they are definitely out. Pietersen as you made an example of just likes being arrogant so that is his choice :)

Someone from Pakistan (Razzaq maybe?) was runout doing exactly that against New Zealand in an ODI a few years ago. Youtube gives me nothing so I can't really substantiate the claim, but it has happened before.

a for effort;379700 said:
Someone from Pakistan (Razzaq maybe?) was runout doing exactly that against New Zealand in an ODI a few years ago. Youtube gives me nothing so I can't really substantiate the claim, but it has happened before.

The umpires decide on it as a case by case basis using common sense.

I think I remember that one, and it was Razzaq.

Boris;379703 said:
The umpires decide on it as a case by case basis using common sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. There's no interpretation to be had, if he made his ground, it's not out, if he didn't it's out. Common sense doesn't come into this scenario.

a for effort;379712 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. There's no interpretation to be had, if he made his ground, it's not out, if he didn't it's out. Common sense doesn't come into this scenario.

I think we are thinking of different scenarios because I just reread your last one and it was Razzaq vs Australia, not New Zealand that I was talking about.

I'm talking about the case where his bat dug into the ground and came out of his hand and then the stumps were thrown down while the rest of him was out of his ground. The replay showed his bat only just making it but he was slowing down and just half jogging to his crease, not paying attention. The umpires decided he hadn't made his ground when he dropped his bat because he wasn't taking care and paying attention when he had done so, he was just leisurely strolling past when a fielder took the unexpected initiative. This was given out.

If he was sliding his bat in on a quick single as Sharma was two years ago it would have been not out because he intentionally made his ground.

vettori was run out like this last year, i think it was against england in a test match.

here is the cricinfo commentary for it- it was the 2nd test last year vs england in england

Broad to Vettori, no run, short one to start with, too far down leg, though

Broad to Vettori, 1 run, OUT, disaster this time, Vettori tucks it towards square leg and they go for two, he's quick enough to get back but doesn't ground his bat, he's not even watching the ball as Monty's throw comes in, he tries to run into the crease but his front foot is in the air as Ambrose takes off the bails, it's just a few inches over but he has to go. What reckless running this. New Zealand are throwing this away.

DL Vettori run out 1 (3m 2b 0x4 0x6) SR: 50.00

Gnasher: "The crowd loved that, Monty getting a huge cheer"

Yep that is a slightly different case to what I was talking about.

I thought you were meaning they had already stepped past their crease and then continue running with their bat in the air meaning everytime they jump up while running the bails can be dislodged after they already made there ground.

Vettori would have been involved in a very awkward changerooms after that one... nobody wanting to have a go at their captain.

sreesanth was run out 2 years or so ago because he made his ground with his bat and his feet were in the air and he lost connection with the bat and was givin out because he had "left" his ground...

T.A Offspinner;381650 said:
sreesanth was run out 2 years or so ago because he made his ground with his bat and his feet were in the air and he lost connection with the bat and was givin out because he had "left" his ground...

Did the bat loose connection with the ground before or after one of his feet stepped foot behind the crease?

Back