Overseas Players - Do We Need A Rule Change?

five80

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is about the increasing number of overseas players in the DVCA? I know that throughout the UK most clubs are allowed only 1 non British citizen/passport holder in each team. Anyone think we need to consider something similar? I think overseas players should be encouraged, but they probably should be spread out around the competition rather than gather at a few clubs. Thoughts?

Instead of saying "how many overseas players should each club be able to recruit"?, the question should be "what long term benefits have been acheived by recruiting overseas players"?.

I believe all overseas cricketers deliver cricket clubs is a smaller bank balances and some short term gains.

Unders

It's a good point. Long term benefits of imports? Like most guys you pay, they'll be there each cricket season, when/if the money dries up obviously they'll go (particularly the imports but a lot of guys recruited from outside the comp would be the same). Its up to the clubs to look at there individual positions and lists (which they know better than anyone else) and decide if that's the route they want to go down.

I like the imports, playing against them is always a good challenge and they tend not to sledge and carry on like some of the ego's going around, well not anything I'm in danger of understanding.

I don't think a cap on overseas players is a solution though. Clubs will still get players, they'll just be the hit and miss ex-district type we're more used to seeing. Unless you consider a comprehensive player points system then leave it as is.

Any club looking for war silver bullet solution to win a flag with imports, without putting the necessary time into their juniors will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Whilst i think it is a viable element that might need to be looked into in the future. I don't see it as a cause for concern at the moment and feel that its more of a discussion for clubs to have at their exec levels, not the DVCA.

If clubs want to run the gauntlet and try to "buy" a flag, or fill their side full of imports, that is there choice. they are the ones that would be potentially creating disharmony within their club by not picking their loyal players. I don't see the DVCA having any say in the approach a club wishes to take. YOu can't also say that they should be "shared" out amoungst the clubs. They are not boiled lollies. If clubs work hard to get a player to come play for them, then good luck to them.

How would it work/be managed? Does every player have to show their passport at the start of the season? What about players who are non citizens that have already been playing in the DVCA for years? What about existing contracts? Also, what is the difference between contracting a player from JIKA who has never played in the DVCA or cotracting a player born in England who has never played DVCA?

Like almost everything, how it's used is what's important. Bringing in better players can only help the competition raise it's standards and most of that will be in the quality of training received by the respective club, thus improving your own playing group. It's not just how many wickets or runs your import makes. I really like facing our import as I actually recieve batting practise that isn't a waste of my time.

But if you start to bring in half a side of imports, it won't adversley effect the competition (to begin with), but you will more than likely instantly annoy players at your own club who will see reducing oppotunities to be promoted and more than likely a serverly reduced club bank account. A cap is not needed, because this factor will keep the issue in check.

From our club's perspective it has been a good thing the last two years. Both of our overseas
players have been from the same English club our captain played for, fairly lucky there!
Both of them have enjoyed the experience and the playing group has enjoyed having them around too.

It has worked out to be a good link with their club with 2 of them coming out and 3 of ours playing
seasons over there and a couple (might be one) playing a couple of games on their holidays over there.

Good experience having them over, though I don't think it is English imports most people complain about. Cough cough.

The quote below is correct, there are rarely complaints about British imports...
That said, I am bloody happy Kandy is terrorising Money Shield this year :D The lad is sharp!

Ah, so anyone who is opposed to imported players is now a racist? Anytime someone pulls out the racism card in a debate I only see someone who is interested in slinging mud and not debating the topic and only those who have run out of rational debate throw insults. Just because there are some black players amongst those playing in the DVCA under sports visas and just because some people may be opposed to this, does NOT mean their opinions are racially motivated. You have used this concept, but I feel you do not understand what racism is.

I've never seen or heard of anyone single out black imports and say "they shouldn't be playing in the DVCA because of their colour" and I think it is highly insulting to everyone who plays in the DVCA to make such a suggestion.

There was a fair bit said on here about Bundoora and their "imports" a few years back (I believe only one of those targetted was an "import"). Funny enough nowhere near as much when Alex Roberts played for them...

I've also heard it mentioned plenty about imports from a certain group of countries and "not being able to understand what they say". If you think no body in the DVCA complains about "black"(love you to define black for me) imports you're kidding yourself. I'll agree being opposed to imports being here on sports visas is ok, though I find that mindset strange. However, I don't believe being opposed to "black" players being here on sports visas ok.

I entered into the debate, debated the topic in a positive manner and also believe there should be a certain cap on imports, two per 1st xi seems about right for me. If you think the "colour" of imports isn't important to this debate you aren't considering the whole issue...

Ah, so anyone who is opposed to imported players is now a racist? Anytime someone pulls out the racism card in a debate I only see someone who is interested in slinging mud and not debating the topic and only those who have run out of rational debate throw insults. Just because there are some black players amongst those playing in the DVCA under sports visas and just because some people may be opposed to this, does NOT mean their opinions are racially motivated. You have used this concept, but I feel you do not understand what racism is.

I've never seen or heard of anyone single out black imports and say "they shouldn't be playing in the DVCA because of their colour" and I think it is highly insulting to everyone who plays in the DVCA to make such a suggestion.

I'm responding to your suggestion as you're the one who brought up the enthnicity of imported players. I must again point out to you, that simply critising someone who just happens to be black is NOT racism. Again, saying that a person, where ever he or she comes from is difficult to understand is not racist. I use to work with a German woman and for the first month I had to ask her to slow down and repeat a lot of things because I couldn't understand what she said. Does that make me racist, or just someone who needed to hear her speak english in her heavy accent for a while to pick up what she was saying?

If the only evidence of racially motivated disliking of imported players is an assumption that there must be some out there otherwise I'm "kidding myself", then you have no evidence at all.

Back