Pakistan In South Africa

Caesar

I have to say, I have been quite heartened by this series. Pakistan have been their usual frustrating selves, but they have played on some very tough pitches against a very good side and shown some real brilliance at times.

The third Test got underway yesterday and although the Proteas have the game clearly in hand with their innings at 6/344, there was some really promising bowling from a very inexperienced Pakistani bowling attack. They should be holding their heads high.

You can really see the progress that they've made under Misbah-ul-Haq, who seems a capable captain who is also able to impart the stability that the side has needed for so long. I am really looking forward to seeing how this young exciting side develops over the next year or so.

I'm glad Pakistan didn't play Tanvir Ahmed again -- that guy is venomless as an opening bowler. There was a reader comment on Cricinfo saying that Pakistani pacers in this Test have neither [excessive] pace nor swing, and I can see his point, though they did alright to pick up six scalps on the first day. Ehsan Adil seems to have done alright on debut; hopefully he'll be able to bowl again on day two. I was also a little surprised at Nasir Jamshed's omission, but a Hafeez-Farhat opening pair looks good on paper.

I am pretty impressed with all their younger bowlers. Most are far from completed products but I really get a good feeling from how they go about their work, and they seem to have a surfeit of them. If they can be moulded into a disciplined unit then Pakistan will be a very dangerous team.

Just hours away from the first T20! I didn't realise AB de Villiers planned to open the batting until I read the Cricinfo preview just then; it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I think Pakistan look the slightly stronger and stabler team on paper, but anything can happen in T20, and anything can happen with Pakistan. Should be a tight series.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion on this series -- level at 2-2 and either team's series for the taking. The trend of the preceding games suggests that the success of South Africa's top order holds the key to their fate. Without the injured Graeme Smith, the Proteas' top half just a tad more vulnerable. It's difficult to predict this one, but I suspect Pakistan may have edged in front.

Mohammad Irfan has made a real comeback for Pakistan this series, averaging just 12.5 over his three games, and it's pretty much him versus AB de Villiers for Man of the Series.

Back