Pensioner Pages

Re: Pensioner Pages

Liz Ward;390399 said:
What I would really like to see is how you 'place' your back foot. So I am really interested in what happens at 13s on your previous video.

If possible, could you record from the rear [as before] and also from the left, so that I can see the back of your leg at this point.

Yeah it kind of looks like I'm landing on the edge of the foot rather than flat? Additionally it's side on to the direction that I'm supposed to be bowling as well - I know that, when you're bowling everyone says that everything should be pointing and going forwards - is that a point as well?

I'll upload a few more vids that show my bowling from differing angles.

Here's one from higher view - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP8GumuoIiw

someblokecalleddave;390403 said:
Yeah it kind of looks like I'm landing on the edge of the foot rather than flat? Additionally it's side on to the direction that I'm supposed to be bowling as well - I know that, when you're bowling everyone says that everything should be pointing and going forwards - is that a point as well?

I am afraid it is not so simple Dave. The difficulty is working with your unorthodox action, rather than changing it totally.

It is not so much an issue with your right foot adjacent to the wicket but you need to keep the left foot parallel. This will also cut out the scissor action and landing on the outside of the foot.

However, if you are going to land your right foot adjacent, you really must move... almost the precise moment that foot lands, you must lift and whip yourself around... we are talking nano seconds here. At the moment, as your right foot lands, your weight is back and you hang; you hit the ground on the outside of your foot then roll. This actually prevents you from transferring your weight forward fast enough. This also sends the force down the lateral head of your gastrocnemius rather than straight down the tendon calcanaus and something is going to give.

Another however, I believe your action has changed since the one posted. If so, it would be best to see where you are now before suggesting any changes.

Liz Ward;390532 said:
I am afraid it is not so simple Dave. The difficulty is working with your unorthodox action, rather than changing it totally.

It is not so much an issue with your right foot adjacent to the wicket but you need to keep the left foot parallel. This will also cut out the scissor action and landing on the outside of the foot.

However, if you are going to land your right foot adjacent, you really must move... almost the precise moment that foot lands, you must lift and whip yourself around... we are talking nano seconds here. At the moment, as your right foot lands, your weight is back and you hang; you hit the ground on the outside of your foot then roll. This actually prevents you from transferring your weight forward fast enough. This also sends the force down the lateral head of your gastrocnemius rather than straight down the tendon calcanaus and something is going to give.

Another however, I believe your action has changed since the one posted. If so, it would be best to see where you are now before suggesting any changes.

Yeah the action has changed quiite some bit, it'll be a while before I have another go though. But the good news is again another day and the muscle feels better, walking into work today it feels slightly tender but not to the point where I've had to limp, so it's going okay so far. I'm tempted to go to nets tonight, not to bowl but just to have 20 minutes batting, what do you reckon or is that foolish?

Stretch your calf and see how you feel. As the issue appears to be, primarily, in your gastrocnemius, make sure your leg is straight at the knee. Stretch it with the foot facing forward and then with your toes slightly turned in... remember to keep the heels on the ground or as close to it as you can.

If you go to the nets, warm up as much as possible. Try batting but don't overdo it. Spend some time virtual bowling in slow motion to reinforce any changes on the musculoskelatal pathway. Don't forget to stretch afterwards.

Let us know how you get on.

Yeah did okay warmed up beforehand did some gentle stretches on both legs and had a bit of a bowl, nowhere near full effort, but bowled none the less. Had 20 minutes of batting no consequences to that either. I'll keep taking it easy over this week and see how I feel next net session. Reading stuff on the other websites it sounds as though I may be over-doing the stretching as they talk about not doing it to the point where there's pain and I'm doing it just under the threshold of pain I reckon.

You should never do anything through pain, and that includes stretches. You should only let the professionals take you to a 7 :D. However, if you do not feel the stretch in the muscle... it is not being stretched.

You need to stretch at least twice a day but this must be once the muscles are warmed. Never stretch a cold muscle. Remember, only dynamic stretches prior to activity but static, developmental stretches [10/10/30] are vitally important after. Give yourself a day's rest a week.

If you are under the threshhold of pain, you do not have anything to worry about.

Liz I took a knock on the shin a few inches below the knee cap off a fast ball that was miss fielded by the bloke in front of me, I thought he'd taken it and I was backing up and it just came through him fast and hit my shin before I could get my hands there. It hurt as it would do and I just played on, then about 15 mins later I noticed my trousers were tight and realised there must be a bump. Sure enough a massive bump that looked like a spare knee below my real knee! 6 hours later and the swelling had gone down, but then much later I noticed that the whole of my lower leg right down to the ankle was all puffed up and swollen and it still is now 36 hours later. Is that okay do you reckon - is the body just doing its stuff?

I am assuming that you can bear your weight without too much difficulty. If this is the case, it will be the body doing what it does best but be aware of a possible cracked tib.

I hope you iced it as soon as you came off [although you should have come off when you noticed the tight troos, especially if you field a 12th]. If it is still inflammed, basically RICE it.

Is there much bruising? Is it affecting the joints; knee and ankle?

Liz Ward;398686 said:
I am assuming that you can bear your weight without too much difficulty. If this is the case, it will be the body doing what it does best but be aware of a possible cracked tib.

I hope you iced it as soon as you came off [although you should have come off when you noticed the tight troos, especially if you field a 12th]. If it is still inflammed, basically RICE it.

Is there much bruising? Is it affecting the joints; knee and ankle?

No ice not till I got home 5-6 hours later. No 12th man. No bruising and it's not affecting anything else and yes it's still a puffy leg but possibly less so.

Keep it elevated and if it is still 'puffy', ice it a little... 20 mins every two hours.

You really do need to get some ice on this kind of injury straight away. Instant icing for ten minutes will cut recovery time more than 50%. All clubs should hold a store of ice, if not disposable ice packs.

Failing to look after this kind of injury, immediately, can cause a lot of serious issues, especially for a 'pensioner'. I cannot rule out a fracture but it does sound unlikely but you also need to protect yourself from blood clots and their implications.

It sounds like you are suffering acute anterior compartment syndrome. The swelling is caused by bleeding inside the compartment. You MUST rest until the swelling comes down. Keep an eye on it. If it fails to come down, you will need surgery to cut the muscle sheath, allowing the muscle to expand.

Liz Ward;398721 said:
Keep it elevated and if it is still 'puffy', ice it a little... 20 mins every two hours.

You really do need to get some ice on this kind of injury straight away. Instant icing for ten minutes will cut recovery time more than 50%. All clubs should hold a store of ice, if not disposable ice packs.

Failing to look after this kind of injury, immediately, can cause a lot of serious issues, especially for a 'pensioner'. I cannot rule out a fracture but it does sound unlikely but you also need to protect yourself from blood clots and their implications.

It sounds like you are suffering acute anterior compartment syndrome. The swelling is caused by bleeding inside the compartment. You MUST rest until the swelling comes down. Keep an eye on it. If it fails to come down, you will need surgery to cut the muscle sheath, allowing the muscle to expand.

Jesus that sounds serious!!! There's a slight development today, the swelling has come down a bit but bruising has developed around my ankle and below the calf muscle roughly where the sock line is - which is all miles away from where the ball hit me! I'll get some ice on it now!

someblokecalleddave;398812 said:
Jesus that sounds serious!!! There's a slight development today, the swelling has come down a bit but bruising has developed around my ankle and below the calf muscle roughly where the sock line is - which is all miles away from where the ball hit me! I'll get some ice on it now!

Yes, it is serious Dave but this is a good development. I would much rather hear that the swelling has come down a lot, but I guess 'a bit' is better than nothing. You still need to keep an eye on it but, at least you are going in the right direction. It sounds like you have moved into the realms of tibialis anterior tendon sheath inflammation. Tell me how you feel when you bend your toes and foot up.

I cannot stress enough that you need rest. No cricket... I'm not joking. You need to keep this area iced and you need to keep your leg elevated.

That's what I'm doing now, with regards the toes and ankles and the leg in general it's fine, nothing hurts at all, everything moves without any pain. The only time I noticed that there's anything wrong is in bed when I lay on that side with the other leg resting on top of that one and therefore presses the impact area into the bed and then it just feels sore/tender as you'd expect from being hit by a cricket ball.

There seemed to be a further reduction in the swelling around the ankle with that application of the ice just now - i'll do it again later.

Further update next day..........

Got ice on it again later that night and this morning the swelling looks fairly non existent. There's been a development with the bruising as it now appears that the whole leg is bruised below the knee as it's that yellowy bruise colour with purple bruising around the sock elastic area. Mobility is normal.

Update

Got ice on it again later that night and this morning the swelling looks fairly non existent. There's been a development with the bruising as it now appears that the whole leg is bruised below the knee as it's that yellowy bruise colour with purple bruising around the sock elastic area. Mobility is normal.

Just the front and it's fading rapidly - it's hardly discernable. It hasn't swollen today either and looks almost normal despite being at work and walking around and going up and down stairs etc. More ice tonight - several times I reckon. Someone also said that in between the ice I should wear one of those fabric elasticated support sock things and keep it warm to activate and encourage blood flow - is that okay do you reckon?

You're going to hate this reply Dave... sorry!

I can only advise ice with any certainty.

Unfortunately, the symptoms you have described could belong to a number of conditions, some of which 'heat' could be totally the wrong thing to do.

If it is recovering, and it sounds like it is, I would keep to ice and elevation... not forgetting rest.

Alternatively, you could see the doc and get a diagnosis. I am afraid there is little I can be definite with, without seeing you.

Liz Ward;398875 said:
You're going to hate this reply Dave... sorry!

I can only advise ice with any certainty.

Unfortunately, the symptoms you have described could belong to a number of conditions, some of which 'heat' could be totally the wrong thing to do.

If it is recovering, and it sounds like it is, I would keep to ice and elevation... not forgetting rest.

Alternatively, you could see the doc and get a diagnosis. I am afraid there is little I can be definite with, without seeing you.

No that's fine it was a students idea with the heat and I thought I'd run it past you. Yeah it all seems to be getting better and yeah I'll keep up with the ice - I'll do some again now and yeah if it's still not looking like it's improved more I'll see the Doc on Tuesday. I've also stabbed my self in the back of the other bloody leg on a wire fence in those taught muscles right at the bottom and because the muscles are fairly sore I don't really know whether the pain is normal or whether the wire went in deeper than I imagined! Not sure either when my last tetanus jab was either - I'll have to keep an eye on that as well!!!!

Off for some more ice and leg up!

Most people think of lock jaw when they think of tetenus. It can actually be far worse... far, far worse :(.

If you really cannot remember when you last had a booster, and you know you have not had one in the last 5 years, go and get one. If it was me, I would go now.

In the meantime, make sure the wound is completely cleaned.

EDIT: Go to A&E immediately if you start to experience muscle cramps or spasms at or near the injury, or if you have trouble swallowing or have facial muscle spasms.

Having survived all the above, I'm surprised at how long the knocks on the shins have taken to heal. One of them - the more recent, which was on the inside of the shin a couple of inches below the knee still feels slightly tender even now if I press it and that's got to be 6 months old! More worrying though is another encroaching issue, which I think I have mentioned before and I think Liz may have said was to do with simply getting old.

This is a feeling of general soreness just below the knee-cap possibly the Patella Tendon? It's most noticeable when walking upstairs, but also feels weak and vulnerable when I bound down stairs 2 at a time! I've been playing badminton lately once a week for an hour and still bowling 1-2 hours a week. I'm just wondering whether there's anything I can do about this. Is this a case of rest or strengthening? if it's a strengthening issue have you got any suggestions please Liz?

Back