Pietersen says 'no way' to IPL

mas cambios

Pietersen says 'no way' to IPL

"I know there is interest and, yes, there have been offers, etc etc, but it's not something I'm particularly interested in," Pietersen told the BBC Five Live,

"Money's not really too important, it's not as if I need money right now," he said. "I'm really enjoying doing what I'm doing. I love playing for England, I love playing for the spectators.

"England has given me a fantastic opportunity to a fantastic life at the moment. So I'm fully committed 100 percent to playing for England, to winning games for England, to scoring thousands more runs for England."

Article from Cricinfo.

Fairly strong words there from KP, I just hope that in 12 months time we don't see him turning out in the IPL. As he said, he isn't in need of the money so at the moment there shouldn't be that much of an incentive for him (or other English players).

I suppose the big question is will the IPL keep on at them until they crack and sign, after all, everybody has a price - don't they?

Re: Pietersen says 'no way' to IPL

Are the players playing in the IPL in desperate need of the money? I doubt all these players signed up for IPL because they were starving. Its an opportunity for them to make easy money so why miss it? Of course it should not be given higher priority than playing for the country but there is no harm in playing otherwise.

I wouldn't say that all the players are in need of money but some countries are paid better than others.

did he actually say 'no way'? what if ipl becomes really huge in the future. will he keep ignoring it?

If he was to play in the IPL he'd have to give up playing for England, something that he definetly doesn't want to do. KP's an ambitious bloke and will want to eventually lead England's test side, so joining the IPL for abit of extra cash would go against that ambition, and ruin any chance of that ambition being fulfilled. Also, i doubt the money he would earn at the IPL would be much higher than the money he already earns; he's earnt £2.5million in the past 2 years alone. It's good on KP to reject the IPL, shows how commited he really is to the England side; and also proves that he isn't a self-orientated bigot that a few people claim him to be; he's a team player and want's to continue to play for the England side. Good on him !

He wouldn't have to give up playing for England to play in IPL that would be ICL. As long as national duty takes precedence over IPL there is nothing wrong in playing for it. But by not playing in IPL at least he is not risking any unnecessary injury while playing in the tournament so he does deserve credit for that.

I think the issue with giving up playing for England with the IPL was more on a short-term scheduling basis. If he played this year, he would miss the England series against NZ I think. In future, I think he will play if it doesn't clash with England commitments.

You could see the benefits from his point of view though. He's getting on a bit and is exactly the kind of big hitter the IPL would be targeting. Surrey could probably manage without him for a month or so at the start of the season. Wouldn't be a good idea to put Surrey's noses out of joint though.

if the have existing county contract then i dont think they will be allowed to play in ipl anyway.....at least one positive of ipl for players is they wont be banned..

Looks like someone has made a U-turn. :p
Pietersen wants IPL chance.
I knew Pietersen wasn't silly enough to say 'no way' to the IPL. I think he could have said that under pressure from ECB. Its ridicilous to think that anyone would want to miss on on earning a million dollars for 6 weeks of IPL. Unless ofcourse they are making 2 million dollars for something else.
He is being perfectly reasonable I think and ECB should allow their players to participate in IPL rather than being so hostile towards it.

I don't think that this does contradict what he previously said, as all he wants is to be able to play in the IPL but does not want that to jeopardize his England career, which seems fair enough to me. I think this is one for the IPL to sort out though, it has to be sorted around all international fixtures.

Well the previous article does make it seem that he is completely opposed to the very idea of playing in IPL. I was surprised when I read that because its not that he would have to put his national career in danger. Players can skip IPL matches to play for their country and IPL is also encouraging that. Infact, IPL has even offered to change the schedule so that it doesnt conflict with the English county season but ECB's response has been hostile. They even asked ICC to create a window for the IPL so that it doesnt conflict with international matches but they rejected the idea. Its not the fault of IPL.

not much they can do but work with players, unless they try to rival it with there own league

i think the biggest issue is that kp was maoning about too much cricket, now he wants more

Back