Playing the Line and Footwork

lewissaffin

Playing the Line and Footwork

I have had three winter nets training sessions with my U15 team since the turn of the year and each time I have batted and bowled. Seeing as I am an opener for our team, I tend to focus more on the batting and I am here today to talk about my batting.

I have the timing and the ability to play most shots but two things I struggle with are playing the line of the ball and using my feet to play shots. I am very partial to playing off the back foot because there is nothing I love more than to hit a four (or six, if I'm lucky!). I am the more attacking of our two openers (myself and EdCooper) and I like to get at bowling attacks from the off. Though I defend what needs defending, I tend to play the shot away from my body and sometimes play a forward defensive with my arms out-stretched as if playing an off-drive. This usually opens a gate up for any decent bowler to walk right in and topple over the three stumps.

I also seldom use my feet as much as I should, though I feel I am getting slowly better at that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and minimal piss-take, Ed :p)..

Re: Playing the Line and Footwork

Actually Lewis, this is really interesting. I would love to hear what Ed has to say. After all, he watches you most.

Ed, if you are out there, is this a fair description of Lewis' game [batting wise]?

What do you think he needs to work on?

Back