PNF or Dynamic Stretching Before Exercise?

Boris

PNF or Dynamic Stretching Before Exercise?

Another stretching question here.

I have been told by Liz and Dave that dynamic stretching is the way to go before exercise here, but elsewhere I have been told that PNF is better in terms of a warm-up.

Could anyone shed some light as to any right or wrongs here?

Re: PNF or Dynamic Stretching Before Exercise?

Liz Ward;400475 said:
Really? By whom and for what?

Not a credible source as such, my baseball coach would say "Do your PNF stretches, not static."

Then when someone asked about a dynamic stretch he would shrug it off and say that PNF was better. He barely ever instructed the use of any of them.

We just believed him, although he never evidenced his claim.

Is one really better than the other?

I guess this is a good case of how a very little bit of knowledge can be extremely dangerous.

If PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular fascilitation) is not a static stretch, what is?

PNF is one of the most effective forms of flexibility training, after MET (PIR and RI). However, it is far more aggressive, using 100% resistance.

To be used effectively, the fascilitator needs a good knowledge of anatomy and physiology; knowing all the muscles, their actions and their origins and insertions.

PNF should be a stand alone session and should never be used used before competition/activity. It should also not be used for under 18s and you should leave at least 48 hours between sessions.

Incorrect use, including its use during a warm up could cause full rupture of soft tissue and dislocation of joints.

Incorrect instruction is negligent and I do hope your baseball coach has strength and conditioning insurance as it is not covered under a coaches insurance.

Well no problems with the coach (not that I'm playing anymore anyway), as he lost his job a year back for getting into an 'altercation' with a referee ;)

I've always been of the perception that PNF was different to static stretching, it was half heartedly explained that the resistance applied as the stretch was slowly released replaced things back to 'normal working order'.

Obviously this is quite wrong. Embarrassingly I've been using his little bit of philosophy and have used it in training programmes since then in a warm-up...

So in essence, no stretching while standing/sitting/lying down while stationery before exercise. Got to be moving.

Boris;400515 said:
...the resistance applied as the stretch was slowly released replaced things back to 'normal working order'...

Not quite sure I understand this. To obtain autogenic inhibition, the isometric and concentric muscle actions must conclude prior to the 20-30s static stretch.

Boris;400515 said:
...So in essence, no stretching while standing/sitting/lying down while stationery before exercise. Got to be moving.

Not necessarily. Still not sure if you are talking generally or cricketwise.

There are several activities where you need to static stretch prior to activity, failing to do so can seriously inhibit performance. However, not with cricket... or football, or rugby, or hockey, or baseball etc.

Liz Ward;400544 said:
Not quite sure I understand this. To obtain autogenic inhibition, the isometric and concentric muscle actions must conclude prior to the 20-30s static stretch.

Yes, it makes no sense what he said now that I know my way around things a bit more, but at a younger age with a baseball 'professional' telling you what to do...

Liz Ward;400544 said:
Not necessarily. Still not sure if you are talking generally or cricketwise.

There are several activities where you need to static stretch prior to activity, failing to do so can seriously inhibit performance. However, not with cricket... or football, or rugby, or hockey, or baseball etc.

I'm talking generally, but might as well relate it to cricket.

Off topic here, well could be related by some stretch, but still off topic :D

I play a bit of volleyball here and there as well, and today I did a dive backwards to spike a bad set (good shot I might say myself), and I think that's where I did a little bit of damage to my right shoulder (the non-surgery affected one luckily). After the game I came off and just ached a little, didn't notice until then.

I have iced it and it has gotten a little stiff now. It's really not much of a bother, just a little niggle from bending the wrong way, but the finals are being played in a couple of days and wouldn't mind being at full fitness, I'd sit out a game if one were to happen right now.

From past experience I'd expect this to mostly clear up within a week, barely any swelling, but any tips on faster recovery?

Is this at the front of your shoulder Boris... just in a little from the ball and socket joint?

Yes, a little to the outside and a bit up. Hurts most when hold my forearm perpendicular to my body and then move the whole arm directly up at the shoulder.

I've given up asking how you worked it out.

Boris;400576 said:
I've given up asking how you worked it out.

:D ;)

Luckily, it sounds as though you have just overstretched a little and you are right, it should repair quite quickly.

Keep icing. When the inflammation goes, possibly tomorrow as there is very little, give it a massage. Isolate the muscle and massage it longitudinally. If the discomfort is, essentially, in a tiny area [thumb size], just press your thumb into it and rotate/vibrate minimally. If this causes you 'pain' rather than 'discomfort', leave it for a while.

You should also mobilise the shoulder; just gently circling the arm all which ways and pay more attention to taking it back, lengthening the muscle in question. Again, NOT to pain.

Good Luck!

The pain's pretty good, just an ache when I move it, it can sit still without hurting and I can press on the spot in question with only discomfort.

Icing in progress right now coincidentally as well.

Thanks again.

Back