Ponting With A Century. Has That Saved His Captaincy?

cricketdrills

Just like the title.

Will the media be quiet now or is ponting still on the chopping block?

Personally I rate him as a captain.
But as a batsman, I think he has lost it.

I watched a video of his pull shots 10 years ago till now.

10 years ago he was watching the ball on the bat perfectly.
Now he literally closes his eyes sometimes.

I reckon he's lost it.

Well definatly not as good as what he was.

I don't think it should have, but then, the entire Aus set-up appear untouchable. It doesn't matter what we lose or where. I disagree with you about his captaincy. I think he could play down the order in test cricket but he shouldn't captain. I'm tired of his captaincy by numbers.

He didn't look really that settled today and didn't dominate, but it was a good innings and of real credit to him in the circumstances.

Shame we were about 30 runs light. With no spin bowler to speak of, we were never going to be able to exert much pressure with the ball. And Tait had a bad day at the office.

Personally, In think Ponting should resign as Australia Captain of all forms of the game. Even though he scored a century in the World Cup quater final against India (it's a shame the other batsmen didn't help put some more ones on the board as i never thought 260 would be enough runs to defend), his captaincy during the defence of the total was absolutely dismal. There was a long period between the 20th and 30th overs where he just used spin bowling, including the part timers Hussey and Clarke, with little success. All it did was let the Indian batsmen get thier eye in and spend quality time at the crease. the commentators even said the Indian batsmen were finding it easy just getting singles at will. Why didnt Ponting throw the dice and use Tait and Lee during this crucial part of the game? By the time he did use them the game well and truly belonged to India.

He has sown throughout this World Cup that he is no longer fit to be Australian Captain with his spat that caused a television to be broken to him being cranky towards Steve Smith when they collided. Ad this to his poor form and poor behaviour during the Ashes series, along with his dismal win/loss record in all forms of the game since the likes of Warne, McGrath, Hayden and Langer retired and there is very little reason why he should stay on as Captain.

I think its time Australia cricket moved on. Ponting belongs to the era of players just mentioned. If he has any decency he will resign as Captain and even retire from International cricket. There is no way he will amke it to the next Ahes in England let alone the next World Cup.

Australia has some serious work to do if it wants to regain the number one spot in world cricket, becuase at the moment Australia cricket is not fairing too well.

Personally, In think Ponting should resign as Australia Captain of all forms of the game. Even though he scored a century in the World Cup quater final against India (it's a shame the other batsmen didn't help put some more ones on the board as i never thought 260 would be enough runs to defend), his captaincy during the defence of the total was absolutely dismal. There was a long period between the 20th and 30th overs where he just used spin bowling, including the part timers Hussey and Clarke, with little success. All it did was let the Indian batsmen get thier eye in and spend quality time at the crease. the commentators even said the Indian batsmen were finding it easy just getting singles at will. Why didnt Ponting throw the dice and use Tait and Lee during this crucial part of the game? By the time he did use them the game well and truly belonged to India.

He has sown throughout this World Cup that he is no longer fit to be Australian Captain with his spat that caused a television to be broken to him being cranky towards Steve Smith when they collided. Ad this to his poor form and poor behaviour during the Ashes series, along with his dismal win/loss record in all forms of the game since the likes of Warne, McGrath, Hayden and Langer retired and there is very little reason why he should stay on as Captain.

I think its time Australia cricket moved on. Ponting belongs to the era of players just mentioned. If he has any decency he will resign as Captain and even retire from International cricket. There is no way he will amke it to the next Ahes in England let alone the next World Cup.

Australia has some serious work to do if it wants to regain the number one spot in world cricket, becuase at the moment Australia cricket is not fairing too well.

Good post, I agree with pretty much everything you said. It's time Ponting moved on from the captaincy and let someone else take over the reigns. I seriously doubt he will be playing for Australia within 12 months.

So he lacks decency if he makes a call that you don't agree with? Who anointed you the defender civility in these turbulent times where you may have to endure someone occasionally getting something wrong in a way that is unimportant to the point of being immaterial. But yes roll on Clark, I assume we are forgetting his captaincy during the one-day summer which was laughable.

So he lacks decency if he makes a call that you don't agree with? Who anointed you the defender civility in these turbulent times where you may have to endure someone occasionally getting something wrong in a way that is unimportant to the point of being immaterial. But yes roll on Clark, I assume we are forgetting his captaincy during the one-day summer which was laughable.

Ummm, okay. I agreed with what marty344 had to say as I thought it was a good post. No need to get on your high horse about it.

Ponting should walk away from the captaincy, probably walk away from the game altogether and finish his career at Tasmania. Last night's innings was good but in my opinion at his age and the form he is now they will be few and far between. He is a not a good captain and coupling that with his poor form should be pursuaded to leave the international scene. This talk about him being at the 2013 Ashes is rubbish, he'll be well past it by then.

Clarke may not be a great replacement but there are few other choices. The only other choice is Mike Hussey which I would be completely for as I think he could take charge of the side in the transition period between the current crop of players and the new guys coming through in the next couple of years. Hussey has a small amount of experience in the role and was captain of WA before he broke into the Australian side so it's not as if he's come from nowhere. Other than that, Clarke is the only option and will probably get the job when Punter eventually calls it quits.

I disagree

Pretty sure if you think about it calling the decency of a person into question is a little heavy handed. I would take anyone ahead of Clarke, don't rate his batting or captaincy. I cannot understand that he was unquestioned as the captain in waiting for so long.

With the lack of quality going around and the fabulous leadership we are about to endure I predict a long england like decade ahead. Duds cycling through the side, captaincy musical chairs and not much to show for it.

Can i say, when i said Ponting should show some decency and resign as Captain i meant that he should, for the good of Australian cricket, he should stand down and let someone else take up the reigns as captain. Also, i dont think the choice of whether Ponting should stay on as Captain should rest on Ponting's shoulders. Of course he's goping to want to stay on as Captain, who wouldn't. Therefore the choice as to Ponting no longer being Captain has to be that of the Australian Cricket Board.

As for who should replace him, as much as I like the idea of Hussey being Captain I think he is in the same category of Ponting in terms of getting on in age. I think he is the same age as Ponting, so he may be due for retirement in the next few years, so it wouldnt make much sense making him the Captain for only a few years.

I think Clarke should, and will become the next captain, perhaps even by the start of the next international cricket season in Australia. I believe he will make a great Captain, he already has runs on the board as Captain particulary in ODI's.

Also i just wanted to point out that i wasnt having a go at Ponting's character. But the writing is on the wall, and even all time greats have to know when its time to go. I just dont see what Ponting has to prove by staying on as Captain. Even the most die hard fan of Ponting would have to admit that his form of late has been dismal and his captaincy in the last few years hasnt been up to par. He can either go with class and dignity or he can be pushed, I'd prefer if he chose to retire then it would be on his terms. And if theres still any doubters even the great Ian Chapell has said it is time for Australian Cricket to move on.

He has already said that it is up to the selectors, that he won't be making any decisions for them. I think that like everybody else in CA they won't make changes till this stupid review is done/forces their hands (I'm not sure if it will or not, the composition of the panel is ridiculous)) so we'll be waiting a while for them to make any fundamental decisions.

Best thing about failing in the world cup is the revview cant hide behind it. As to captaincy, stuff it give it to someone who deserves to be in the team... unfortunately for Australia there are only a couple of people who meet that criteria... Watson and um, er...

Best thing about failing in the world cup is the revview cant hide behind it. As to captaincy, stuff it give it to someone who deserves to be in the team... unfortunately for Australia there are only a couple of people who meet that criteria... Watson and um, er...

Though i agree with you over Clarke who else is there? Watson, hardly. No experience done little to show himself as a captain. Unfortunately the poor job the selectors have done over the past few years has left us with no choices. Clarke may well do ok, not a great captain but reliable for a few years while some new talent emerges. I have always seen him as a Kim Hughs, as the responsibility rises his form and team respect drops.

Ponting is gone though and i expect that the review will make this clear and by next summer the change will come. It is sad that Ricky doen't see it and is determined to put cricket through an emotional and ugly period of forced change. His attitude will only make the process harder and more traumatic for the team leaving us with a deflated morale.

Bring on the young players and let's pick a spinner and work with them. The spin game will never improve when the captain won't bowl them and has no observable plan or direction for their use. New days are coming, so let's get on with it and stop trying to hold back the inevitable.

Gentleman.. if I may comment on this thread as my country dont get the idea of winning at all :) . If I was the head of CA then I would start a heavy review of the national elite setup. For me it is not even negotiable Pontings behaviour the last 12 months is not that of a baggy green captain. His tantrums, consistent umpire issues and hitting of LCDs in change rooms cannot be forgotten. As a non Australian, the Australian captaincy is arguably the most important after the PM. I am not been insencere when I say the captain sets the example. Warwick Armstrong, Sir Donald Bradman, Richie Benaud, Bob Simpson and Allan Border were the figure heads of their respective sides. They were all the first selected players by the selectors, can you really honestly tell me that Ponting is that?

The past 18 months have been nothing short of a disaster for anyone that has an interest in Cricket Australia. The Ashes, the World Cup has seen Australia in places that are foreign to them. The review should indicate that the entire structure needs overall. Tim Nielsen has not convinced me at all, why did John Buchanan come out to support Ponting? The selectors need also be accountable .. they did some things that were un Australian (ie Selecting Michael Beer after a handful of Should games) and as far as I see they need fresh eyes and thoughts.

As far as Ponting goes, he needs to move on. He served the country well but he is no longer the one that will lead the side in 4 years time.. dont ask me for his replacement as I dont think Pup is the guy. Look at the Shield captains first and then if not satisfied then make a call.If Ponting has best interests of Australian cricket at heart like he proclaims then he needs to do the honorable thing and announce that he will no longer captain the side. Let the review process go through and then start rebuilding phase.. South Africa and India are a year or so away from it as well.

Please note I am not an Australian, I dont live in Australia but dont want a national asset to go in the wrong direction.. World cricket needs strong nations not ones constantly rebuilding ones..

Trouble is, the Shield captains are either retired - Stu Clark, about to retire - Simon Kat, not up to batting standard - George Bailey, already tried and dumped - Marcus North (I really think CA wanted him to succeed badly as he could have been a skipper by default for a couple of years), had a shite year in SS - Michael Klinger, not up to test standard in one discipline, even if he has just had a cracking year in 2 - James Hopes. David Hussey/Cam White in Victoria just do not appear to be seen as long format players.

David Hussey has - to some extent - been a real victim of timing. He's 33 now and just a bit too old to be shoehorned into the team. They could have looked at him before Marcus North in early 2009, if Northy hadn't been one of the top performing spin bowlers in Aus as well as having a good season with the bat just before he was chosen for that SA tour, damn his eyes!

Well Ponting quits the captaincy, looks like it wasn't enough to save him. Personally I think he was pushed but I guess we'll never really know. He's keen to stay on as a player but at 36 and his form relatively poor he probably won't be an automatic selection.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/508453.html

I see no reason why he won't be an automatic selection in tests and ODIs. There has been no suggestion of his being dropped and his form has been mediocre for 2 years. Why should anything change?

I see no reason why he won't be an automatic selection in tests and ODIs. There has been no suggestion of his being dropped and his form has been mediocre for 2 years. Why should anything change?

Wishful thinking? :p

Oh in that world. In mine, Shaun Marsh has real mongrel in his make-up and his little brother already has four tons at first class level to his name.

Well Ponting quits the captaincy, looks like it wasn't enough to save him. Personally I think he was pushed but I guess we'll never really know. He's keen to stay on as a player but at 36 and his form relatively poor he probably won't be an automatic selection.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/508453.html

He will be given a go but unless he can find some great form he will be out. So many possibilities now but what will really happen is impossible to predict.

Ponting may now have gone but that is only part of the job that needs doing. Hildich must be removed as must Neilson. The problem has been one of overall direction and i don't see that Ponting should wear it for everyone. His captaincy may have been slipping with his form but when your job is made harder with a useless coach and fool selectors one can wonder if the end could have been happier.

Clarke is now our man and as much as i have always protested he is the wrong choice i will now hold back and give him a go. The best result for me is that he makes me eat my words. Let's hope so for cricket in general. A weak Aussie team would just about spell the end of cricket as a major sport in this country with football codes running all year now, cricket finds it hard to get space in the sport section even during an ashes series.

Back