Pontings captancy

Ashes05

Pontings captancy

Just wondering how Ricky's captancy will be viewed in the coming seasons. The media all say what a great captain he is but I think its been hard to judge as he has always had the best team in the world under him. He was out captained by Vaughan in 2005 and has shown under pressure that he tends to lose control a little bit. I think the next 3 years will really prove how good he really is with a team that is changing considerably with retirements.
Border, S.Waugh,Taylor are all classified as great captains but it is hard to judge when they have such great teams to captain.

Re: Pontings captancy

Yeah it should be interesting how he handles things through this transition period, Ponting certainly hates losing. I always thought Warne used to also have a fair bit of input, especially in the Ashes.

Re: Pontings captancy

Kram81;219750 said:
Yeah it should be interesting how he handles things through this transition period, Ponting certainly hates losing. I always thought Warne used to also have a fair bit of input, especially in the Ashes.

Early on in Ponting's captancy it was pretty clear to me that it wasn't just Warne helping him it, it was the senior guys in the side. Warne, Gilchrist, McGrath (not so much him). But you would be nuts not to accept the help from those great players in the side.

Ponting, like Kram said, is a guy that seems to not want to lose. But really if your captain wasn't too fazed about winning or losing I would replace him straight away. He recieved the easiest and most cushiest job in world cricket The Australian Cricket team. He inherited it from the great Steve Waugh and so was able to learn off him and Tubby Taylor. But the greatest thing that helped him out was the fact that when Waugh retired it was just him and him only. He didnt take the older statesmen with him he just left the game and Ponting was there to take over as leader. He lead a side that had already been together for years and years and understood each others game perfectly.

Now it is the test for him. A few massive retirements, a less experienced (not really younger) side to lead and players that are strong on teh first class scene that need to show they have the bottle to be lead by Ponting.

Bring it on is all I can say, Ponting has the path laid out in front of him its just how he choose to walk it. These next few years are what we will remember Ponting as a captain. A great leader or an okay leader who couldn't bring the best out of his players when required.

Back