Michael Clark
Callum Ferguson
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith
Tim Paine
Mitchell Johnson
Clint McKay/Ben Hilfenhaus/Peter Siddle
Doug Bollinger

If Smith could become a good enough spinner to play as a real all-rounder (Benaud style) we'd have massive all-round options and bat all the way down.

The batting would be solid and the bowling would be:

Bollinger
Clint McKay/Ben Hilfenhaus/Peter Siddle
Johnson
Watson
Smith

Strong team I reckon.

(The Warner thing is kind of a "hope" I have. I'd love to see him rip England to shreds in an Ashes innings).

This team doesn't look dis-similar to some of the Benaud led teams that had Benaud (who was a great batsman) batting at 7 or 8 and Alan Davidson (MJ) batting down at 9. Paine at 8 is pretty good. All depends on Smith's spin bowling, but I like the options it'd give us.

Re: Predict the test team in 4 years time

These things are always impossible to predict, but at this point in time I agree with it.

I'm keeping this thread in my memory and in four years time I'm coming back to it.

I can see Warner playing in ODIs in the future, and Tests are a maybe. He has a strong technique, and if he can get away from this T20 crap he has the potential for a good player. Anyone that can hit like that had potential.

Phillip Hughes
Shaun Marsh
Shane Watson (vc)
Michael Clarke (c)
Mitchell Marsh
Steven Smith
Mitchell Johnson
Luke Ronchi
Doug Bollinger
Peter Siddle
----Random Pace dude----mckay hilfy etc...

I'd suggest that the batting is pretty much set in stone. The likes of Watson, Hughes, Clarke will still in the team 4 years from now.

Khawaja will be in there as well, as will Ferguson if he keeps improving.

Smith will also be in the team sooner rather than later.

Australian cricket has a lot of talent coming through.

brickwaller99;396772 said:
The day Clarke becomes captain is the day that i will die inside. Marsh/es for captain.

Marsh the younger then if he can get a few tons at first class level. I don't think his brother is up to the rigours of test cricket. He can't concentrate for long enough.

Khawaja would be a good no 3, if he gets a chance at all. He's technically pretty good and isn't afraid to bore the opposition into submission. We need more players like that.

Can you change your avatar from that rabies infested flying fox, I got scratched by one of those last September and I had to have 5 rabies shots and a dose of immunogloblin.

Flying foxes are disease ridden pests.

sounds alright for me.

Bowlers will still be fairly similar except for smith and any new talent should replace siddle but hilfy johnson bollinger/harris hauritz is a reasonable attack. If smith is in the team i see no need to replace hauritz. If not then perhaps any new face could go in.

Flying foxes are great. Love the avatar perhaps put a LtD in it's mouth for extra fun.

That raises the question. If Smith is going into the team, where is Hauritz's position in all of this?

Does Smith play as more of a part time bowler, or does the side actually have 6 bowlers of good quality?

Really does raise the question again. Is Smith a batsman, bowler or all rounder? Is having 6 bowlers too many? Is having 5 batsman and one questionable all rounder alright? Or is Smith played entirely as a batsman?

From what I have seen he is more of a back up for Hauritz rather than a contender for the number 6/7 position.

When he was taken to NZ that's what I thought as well, but apparently there is quite the consensus around that he was taken as a back up for hauritz should he be injured.

Boris;396954 said:
That raises the question. If Smith is going into the team, where is Hauritz's position in all of this?

Does Smith play as more of a part time bowler, or does the side actually have 6 bowlers of good quality?

Really does raise the question again. Is Smith a batsman, bowler or all rounder? Is having 6 bowlers too many? Is having 5 batsman and one questionable all rounder alright? Or is Smith played entirely as a batsman?

From what I have seen he is more of a back up for Hauritz rather than a contender for the number 6/7 position.

I think if he makes his way into the test side it'll be as a number 6 bat. Hopefully his leggies will develop and he'll be a genuine all-rounder, maybe by the time NH retires he can be the spinner and batting combo we'd like.

Hauritz has bagged the spinners spot for a good while now.

And so he should have, he has taken 55 odd wickets @ 32, a respectable record.

His also averaging 20+ with the bat.

If he can match Swann's performance, whatever that may be, in the upcoming Ashes series then he will have done his job. I'm very confident Hauritz can do that.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;397014 said:
And so he should have, he has taken 55 odd wickets @ 32, a respectable record.

His also averaging 20+ with the bat.

If he can match Swann's performance, whatever that may be, in the upcoming Ashes series then he will have done his job. I'm very confident Hauritz can do that.

So am I, would never drop Hauritz at this point in time.

But what will a wily young legspinner add to the team if he was picked?

Is there place for him to be bowled? There are 5 bowlers already. I'm thinking his bowling may be lost altogether, as I can't see him and Hauritz being bowled together with much success. It would turn into a sort of spurring match where one tries to beat the other in my mind.

One thing having two spinners in the side, another having a spinner and a supposed full time spinner.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;396935 said:
Can you change your avatar from that rabies infested flying fox, I got scratched by one of those last September and I had to have 5 rabies shots and a dose of immunogloblin.

If you have some anxiety over the picture I will, but it is a picture not the real thing.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;396935 said:

Don't blame you for not wanting to look at it in that case. Though I love them.

Back