Problem with squat type exercises

edladd

Problem with squat type exercises

Hi all,

Recently when I've been exercising I've noticed that my knees do something funny. Basically when I bend them to around 90+ degrees something from my upper leg sort of "pops over" something from the lower leg part of the joint. This happens at the back of my knee at the outside of both legs. Looking at pictures of knees I reckon it's somewhere around the collateral ligament

There is no pain involved with this, and I think it's probably been happeneing for years without me really paying attention to it - it's just with doing squats it happens every time and it's kinda uncomfortable. Does anyone else get this happening in their knees? It's easy to check by placing your fingers on the outside of the back of the knee joint and then bend your knee to nearly double.

If anyone has any ideas what could be happening I'd appreciate it.

Re: Problem with squat type exercises

So when you sit on a chair low enough for your knees to assume a 90 degree angle, this does not happen?

You need to describe your squat to me, from start to finish.

When you are at the lowest point, are your knees directly above your ankles or have they moved forward?

Cheers Liz,

When I'm sitting down I need to bend my knees to a more acute angle (maybe 40 degrees) to make it happen. I think it possibly needs a bit more pressure than gets put on them when my weight is on a chair.

When doing a squat I start with feet shoulder width apart and toes pointing forward (or a tiny bit out). Then I bend at the waist and knees as if i'm going to sit on a chair behind me (upper body needs to go forward to counter-balance, but I am keeping spine straight). I stop when my thighs are parallel to the ground. At the lowest position my knees have moved forward - but never further than my toes.

I had been squatting with some weight (progressively up to 2x15lb dumbbells) but I went back to no weight when I noticed this to make sure my form was OK. Should my knees stay over my ankles? Sounds like it would be hard to stay balanced with this.

Is the 'something' that pops over hard or soft?

I really do not think this is a problem as it causes no pain but please keep an eye on it and if anything changes do see your GP.

As for the squat, you will find a lot of different techniques on the internet but the one you use depends on why you use it. For cricket, you need to be working the hamstrings not the quads so you do need to keep your knees above your ankles and your trunk upright. You also need to keep the feet parallel or the wrong leg muscles gets the workout. You probably will not be able to get down as low as usual but you will be working the right muscles, especially the core to keep you stable ;) [it also gives you buns of steel :D ]. Do not use weights until you can manage it without falling over then gradually increase the weight. The movement is more important than the amount of weight.

Great advice from Liz as usual.

Have you tried front squatting and does this make a difference?

Do you do straight legged deadlifts?

Can you squat below 90 degrees without weight and withough your heels lifting?

It's quite hard, but it does have some give in it.

I'll revise my squats so, thanks for the advice.

Ed

Harrowdrive said:
Great advice from Liz as usual.

Have you tried front squatting and does this make a difference?

Do you do straight legged deadlifts?

Can you squat below 90 degrees without weight and withough your heels lifting?

Hi David,

Front squatting is the one you referred swinger to in the Fast bowling fitness thread right? We've only dumbbells in the (small work) gym so I haven't done this or deadlifts.

I can squat below 90 degrees with heels down - if I go too low my toes start to lift though.

Ed, yes you are right.

I would say cut the squats out with dumbbells, there is nothing wrong with doing it that way (liz is the injury expert anyway) but you can get more cricket specific results with split squats and hip raises.

Doing it this way is:

a. more realistic
b. less chance of injury through poor form
c. more effective with lighter weights

Have you seen both those exercises?

Back