protective gear

mysteryspinner

protective gear

How many of you use chest guards and forearm guards while batting. Also does anyone use football type shin guards while fielding(not in silly positions)

Re: protective gear

Personally, I stop short of arm and chest guards, likewise fielding pads.

It seems that arm guards are fairly popular with the youngsters, not seen too many with chest pads though. Have only ever seen one person use fielding pads and he was the biggest primadonna ever but that is another story altogether.

Ive never been hit on the arm, had a few in the chest but nothing worrying! its all confidence for some people what ever you are most comfortable with!

Wolf;259895 said:
I don't even wear a thigh guard. There are some real wimps around lol. :p

do you wear a helmet?? if so, maybe you shouldnt be throwing the wimp allegations around lol :)

I wear (in order of putting them on): Pads, Thighpad, Box, Inners, Gloves.

I wear a helmet depending on who I'm facing at the time. If I'm playing C Grade then the pace bowlers are all mediums and I have rarely ever seen a bouncer there. However I wear one in A Grade because 130km/h to the head is definitely not fun (considering we have Nofke in our grade on random occasions when he isn't busy).

I have never worn a thigh pad despite the fact I am terrible off my hips with all forms of glances. I figure it is an extra incentive to not get hit.

I once wore a chest pad when I had broken rib, but it is quite restricting and I don't recommend it if you have a choice.

I wear one wicket keeping inner on my right dominant hand, and nothing on the other one. A method that was actually derived from this sight to stop my shots being bottom hand dominated and hitting cover drives straight to fielders on the full.

I wear a box in slips and silly positions and since they are my dominant two positions that means I wear a box all game, uncomfortable much. I have worn a helmet sometimes in the silly positions depending on who is batting and conveineince, if it would take to long to run back to the sheds I wouldn't worry about it. Never worn shinpads because I have never had a pair, and the club kit bag only comes out occasionally if someone decides to bother to get the key.

That is my protective gear.

I have only started wearing a thigh pad and thats because I couldnt hit it off my pads and the hips but now I can for that reason only, I wear a box, pads, gloves and a helmet.

Because I am only under 15's we can only go half pitch so gear isnt need there. We also have to wear Helmets in all underage comps and while you are under 18(I think it is).

youngman;380305 said:
I have only started wearing a thigh pad and thats because I couldnt hit it off my pads and the hips but now I can for that reason only

I feel your pain!

If a left armer gets frustrated everytime they just angle one at my hip and hit me. It seems everyone knows my weakness there. At least I don't get out to them.

i think you can stop wearing a helmet as soon as you start playing grade/senior (whatever you want to call it) cricket. I am 18 in a few months but i still dont wear one as i have always found them limiting.

As an interesting fact I just spent the last while going through all my records. Without a helmet I have a batting average of 34 but with a helmet i have an average of 12.

But it's better than being dead.

Boris;380309 said:
I feel your pain!

If a left armer gets frustrated everytime they just angle one at my hip and hit me. It seems everyone knows my weakness there. At least I don't get out to them.

Yeah I just take my eyes off the ball I have been improving on that so far this year though.

youngman;380391 said:
Yeah I just take my eyes off the ball I have been improving on that so far this year though.

I play right around my body habitually and haven't been able to change for the long time I have played.

On a different note I scored 35 off 32 balls today wearing only a box, left pad (right hander) and gloves. That's what happens when there are spinners in large quantities.

Haha why just the left pad? Couldn't find the other? A guy who fills in for our club who keeps, does it with just gloves and (I think) a box.

Jonesy;380440 said:
Haha why just the left pad? Couldn't find the other? A guy who fills in for our club who keeps, does it with just gloves and (I think) a box.

Well I forgot to bring my pads down because I had them airing and forgot to put them back in. So I just asked the batsman at the other end if I could have one. We just batted with the front pad because it is so much easier to run in.

There were heaps of spinners on the team and when I got out there the one pace bowler had already bowled his overs out.

Back