Ireland
Kenya
Netherlands
Scotland
UAE
Oman
Namibia
Denmark

Plus 1st and 2nd from division 3 (Afghanistan and Hong Kong are my bets).

Take your pick really.

Re: Qualification for 2011 World Cup

mas cambios;298707 said:
Well, it's going to be 6 teams from the following:

Bermuda
Canada
Ireland
Kenya
Netherlands
Scotland
UAE
Oman
Namibia
Denmark

Plus 1st and 2nd from division 3 (Afghanistan and Hong Kong are my bets).

Take your pick really.

Yeah, looking at the groups for the qualifier, I think the six teams will be Ireland, Scotland, Canada, Kenya, UAE and the Netherlands

I suppose I should qualify the Afghan thing. I think they have a reasonable team, all things considered and they seem to be improving thanks to ICC input etc. Though it may have come to soon for them, I get a feeling we'll see them in a world cup before too long.

It may just be that they provide enough of a surprise to scrap through and become the feel good story of the 2011 cup.

yeah, would be a great thing to see happen. i have no doubt they will get there eventually, but if it was to be in 2011, it would be amazing

SAfrican;303352 said:
id like to see another African country like Kenya at the world cup again.
I reckon Kenya will get there in spite of their decline since the 2003 world cup

I am taking Hong Kong on a roughie.

I think the Hong Kong sixes will have an impact on their cricket (similar to the IPL in India) and they will qualify.

Yeah, i think the 6 sides i mentioned earlier will get in, but hoping for Afghanistan, what a story that would be.

the_socialite;303840 said:
Yeah, i think the 6 sides i mentioned earlier will get in, but hoping for Afghanistan, what a story that would be.

Yeah it would be quite a story.

I don't think their would be too many countries willing to tour their though.

That is if they got an ICC membership.

grapedo;303852 said:
Yeah it would be quite a story.

I don't think their would be too many countries willing to tour their though.

That is if they got an ICC membership.

true that

Of the associates, I'd expect Scotland and Ireland to improve a lot in the next few years, as both are moving towards professionalism, Canada are looking at going down this path but it seems as if it will be a while away, The Netherlands seem to have stagnated and Kenya seems to be moving backwards, which is a terrible shame as at one stage they seemed to be quite close to getting Test status. Bermuda will be lucky to make another world cup. The non-ODI associates that seem to be making big gains are Namibia and also Argentina, but the results of this for Argentina would be seen a bit further down the track. The word is that the Chinese government is showing an interest in cricket, if the game did take hold in China, who knows how good they could be in 40-50 years time? Anyway...thats my boredom induced associates rant for today.

Back