Recurring problems whilst indoors-please help liz

phil2oo8

Recurring problems whilst indoors-please help liz

Hi, this is aimed mainly at liz and harrowdrive but anyones help is appreciated.
After i've bowled indoors or on artifical, or even (but more unusual )on a regular wicket after a long spell,
the area on the back of my foot/ankle going up my leg i get a really dull pain that makes walking on painful and when i stand form sitting its a sharp pain, my coach say's its problel because indoor/sports hall floors are very hard, and that i do slam my ankle down abnormaly hard when bowling, but this does not explain why on normal wickets. Also my lower back hurts after bowling, 2 seasons ago i hurt the same region and it felt similar to a spasm i had in my shoulder ( no idea if you can get spasms in your back) but even though it did calm down it never completly went and it is still achey, and very stiff after bowling and i can make it crack by standing tall and leaning back. My nan as a problem/illness which is making her spine fuse (don't ask what it's called i don't know) and has recently discovered after serious pain she has a small fracture in it. I'm worried that this could happen to me. If theres anything i can do to prevent either the ankle or back please reply to this :(
Thanks phil

Re: Recurring problems whilst indoors

Try to post a video of your action, otherwise anything said is merely educated speculation.

Re: Recurring problems whilst indoors-please help liz

Phil,

The ankle sounds like Achilles Tendinitis.

As for the back pain/spasm, is it one side of the back or right across?

OK Phil, just read your post on McGrath Style.

I think I can safely say you suffered a stress fracture of the pars interarticularis in the lumbar spine through your mixed action.

You need to purify your action or this problem will get worse and become continual. Get a good coach who can analyse your action and correct it. Also, you need to work hard on your core. Read http://www.simplycricket.net/what-the-heck-is-core-training-all-about-anyway-t440.0.html from beginning to end and link http://www.harrowdrive.com/core-stability-for-cricket-a-dummies-guide/ .

sorry if this i a bit late butmy action was different at this time... i used to bowl of the wrong foot ( like mike proctor) i don't no if this changes anythinhg

You need to describe your bowling at the time to me; were you front on or side on?

it really is ard to explain
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnlCpjytUfE&feature=related[/ame] watch this video nd i used bowl like him but over the wicket. only difference i can see it i pivoted on my front foot a little less

Sorry Phil, I know you are trying to be helpful. I am a biomechanist, not a cricketer. I have had people tell me before that they bowl like a or b but under analysis, they are very different.

Proctor has a pure side on action. Did you? Can you honestly tell me your action was pure? By this, I mean the position of your feet, hips, shoulders and non bowling arm. Would you have been aware of any counter rotation?

oh sorry, right i don't know if u noticed that when proctor landed his front foot his back foot came round with his shoulder...this is bowling off the wrong foot as his back foot is the front foot as the ball is released. My action was similar my front foot pointed directly down the wicket and then i pivot on my foot so that my back foot was near my front foot this pointed at a 70 degree angle to my front foot if you can imagine 90 degrees being a perfect angle between my front foot pointing straight down nd my back foot pointed to the non-bowling wickets. i looked over my arm but i only startred following through properly after my back started to hurt. hope this helps a little more and there was alot of rotation on my hip as my leg came round

if you describe what mixed-action is i may be able to say if i do or don't / did or didn't . does brett lee as he says his back foot is 45 degrees not 90

Umm, we seem to have a misunderstanding here; I shall put it down to the time difference between Lancs and Essex :laugh:

I understood what you meant by bowling off the wrong foot; I wanted you to describe your bowling to me, which you have now done.

You were putting a heck of a lot of stress on your spine without the cushioning of a follow through, you are exacerbating the problem with your current mixed action. These stress fractures are common with pace bowlers, it is not debilitating at the moment but if you do not get it sorted, it will become degenerative. Think of it as your body's warning to you.

Read the links I sent you, the second one will explain and the first will help enormously. More importantly, you need to purify your action now.

phil2oo8 said:
if you describe what mixed-action is i may be able to say if i do or don't / did or didn't . does brett lee as he says his back foot is 45 degrees not 90

OK, it's when the top half is bowling one action and the bottom half is bowling another.

If your feet are side on (90 degrees) and your shoulders are open, you have a mixed action causing counter rotation... read the links ;)

right now i totally get u (where not very bright northeners :laugh: ). I'll be honest( pardon my languague) the coaching at my club is crap, and the district coach refuses to change my action as he believes i'm too good to tinker with as he says. How would you encourange me to develop and correct my action without completely changing it ( i will be putting a video on here to help you further but for the time being). I know your a biomechanist not a cricketer but you may know a method that can be used

phil2oo8 said:
...and the district coach refuses to change my action as he believes i'm too good to tinker with as he says.

This really disturbs me; I hear it often. I wholly agree that 'if it works, don't fix it' but I have to draw the line when it can potentially shorten a cricketer's career and/or cause many years of pain.

When you bowl, keep your bottom half as it is; it sounds good. Correct the top half... I think you are a right armed bowler, if so, bring your left shoulder more round to the right and sight down to the left of your left arm. I am afraid your accuracy will be a little skewed but you will learn to compensate very quickly. Practise a few times before your next session. Try practising in front of a mirror (without a ball ;) ) then move outside with the ball.

thanks a million liz, if it stops hurting your better then the doctors, 18 months i've been waiting to see an osteopath . I'm thumbs uppin ur reputation. I'll still put a video on when i get the chance.

Thanks Phil, unfortunately, it will not stop hurting straight away but it will stop it from getting any worse. Then time will need to do its work; you're at a good age for repair.

You will also need to look at your core, strengthen it and it will support your spine in the future. You will need to increase the flexibility of your hamstrings and your thoracic spine but these can wait for now ;)

Keep me updated and when you are ready, we will sort out your Achilles Tendon :D

4gt bout da lol do u rmbr on my first comment when i spoke about leaning back caused a cracking noise in me back is that not related to the fusing ov my nans spine ( that serioulsy worries me but shes had steroids for her lungs so they could be to blame the doctor say's but im worried if it genetic)

The two conditions are totally unrelated Phil; you can sleep sweetly :D

Back