Reducing stiffness after nets

Re: Reducing stiffness after nets

To further add to what Liz posted:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk05msJu5ec"]YouTube - Dynamic Warm Up[/ame]

I like this one, very good and it shows how intensity should be increased.

However, the performer has poor alignment. Make sure your knees do not veer outwards when exercising. With the quad stretch, the knees must be together on the raise or you are not stretching the quads but the adductors, especially the gracillis.

I have to say that this week, I have had hardly any soreness after nets (which was a double session). A slight pain in my right shoulder and groin (but then I expected that) which have now gone (despite driving for 7 hours yesterday and standing outside in a freezing Wrexham watching the football) and I feel pretty much 100%.

I think it's the contrast showers or maybe the pineapple, or more than likely a combination of all if it, but it's great! :laugh:

someblokecalleddave said:
That video lasted nearly 3 minutes - would that be enough to get warmed up (I just know you're going to say no)?

No. :laugh:

Justin does suggest you cycle/treadmill for 10-15 minutes before. However, I would not find that practical.

Keep to a 22yrd/20m mark out.
Jog forwards and then backwards a couple of times.
Complete one session at low intensity.
Increase intensity for another session.
Increase intensity again for a third session.

Almost_Austwick said:
...A slight pain in my right shoulder and groin ...

When you are warming up, introduce more mobility with your arms; low intensity < exaggerated movements.
Include more lunge walks; really extend your stride and sideways squat walks; there and back to work both legs.

Finish off with jumping jacks; get low on landing in a wide squat and really 'windmill' the arms.

Don't forget to charge for the entertainment :laugh:

I used to be sore for 1 or 2 days after exercise - mostly due to not warming up properly :embarrassed:

Now, however, I've incorporated some Tai Chi exercises into my warmup, and I often do some hand form a while after activity - and I almost never get DOMS now. I think it's a combination of being more flexible from 5 years Tai Chi practice - and understanding better how to warm up and stretch properly.

There's a big problem in social club cricket IMO that people are afraid of warming up because they think it looks silly. I know I get some funny looks breaking out my "Tiger embraces head" before a cricket match :D, but at least I'm not the one spending days walking around like my joints have been filled with cement :laugh:

I know David touched on this idea before on his site : http://www.harrowdrive.com/can-you-try-too-hard/

Now that would be a sight to see; imagine, a whole cricket team practicing Tai Chi before a match. I would pay to see that... a bit like a slow Haka... Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!...

[With greatest respect for Maori tradition]

Liz Ward said:
When you are warming up, introduce more mobility with your arms; low intensity < exaggerated movements.
Include more lunge walks; really extend your stride and sideways squat walks; there and back to work both legs.

Finish off with jumping jacks; get low on landing in a wide squat and really 'windmill' the arms.

Don't forget to charge for the entertainment :laugh:

I'll certainly try that, although I know some of it was just down to 'net rust' but I can really do see the benefits of the dynamic warm ups - although, you do get a few funny looks.

As far as I have learnt from sC and many, many sources over the years, warming up is about one thing and it is increasing intensity. Working from a walk, to jogs, to sprints. Studies have also shown that static (whilst still) stretching reduces explosive strength.

Back