Refresh the Test team NOW!

gbatman

Well we are now two games behind in the Ashes and have nothing to lose. We're losing with an old side and when that's happening the only way to go is down. We must refresh the team.

Here's a list of good young players in Australian Cricket:

Best Young Batsmen (2011 Average, Career Average, Age):
Rob Quiney - 42 32 28
Shaun Marsh - 88 38 27
Cameron White - 18 42 27
Aaron Finch - 23 31 24
Aiden Blizzard - 62 57 26
Callum Ferguson - 59 35 26
Usman Khawaja - 69 50 23
Phil Hughes - 23 53 22

Best Young All Rounders (Career Run Av, Wickets average, Age):
Mitch Marsh - 16 91 19
Steve O'Keefe - 51 25 25
Steve Smith - 43 50 21
Luke Butterworth - 28 26 27
Best Young Bowlers (Career Average, Age):
Peter George - 28 24
Trent Copeland - 18 24
Mark Cameron - 24 29

My Rebuilding XI:

1. S. Watson
2. S. Katich (C)
3. S. Marsh
4. C. Ferguson (VC)
5. A. Blizard
6. B. Haddin
7. S. O'Keefe
8. S. Smith
9. M. Cameron
10. T. Copeland
11. R. Harris

In Reserve:
Peter George - Next Pace man in if someone breaks down or is terrible. Maybe for Harris.

Rob Quiney - Not far from making the side.

Aaron Finch - Not far off, needs to be more consistant. Should be in the ODI side.

Usman Khawaja - Next in line for a Middle order job.

Phil Hughes - Everything about the way he bats and more so they way he goes out suggests he's a middle order batsman, that's where he will bat for us. Can't believe people haven't realised he's a middle order batsman adn a good one and not an opener.

^^^These Players and the top XI must be the Test Squad^^^

Current Side:
S Watson - good form.
S Katich - good form, good leadership.
R Ponting - Not making runs, too old. Got to go, not the future.
M Clarke - Not reliable, doesn't make runs when it counts. Gone.
M Hussey - Good form but not the future.
M North - Can't bat at all, hopeless defence.
B Haddin- Terrible keeper, decent batsman.
R Harris - Best Bowler in Australia.
X Doherty - No variation, poor bowler.
P Siddle - Can't move the ball, no tricks or smarts.
D Bollinger - No tricks, doesn't move it enough, not very skilled like Siddle.

B Hilfenhaus - No bowling smarts at all and can't pitch it in the right areas enough.
N Hauritz - Probably Australia's best spinner but he's nothign special.
M Johnson - Can't move the ball and has lost pace. Must go away, work on it and get it right.

Verdict:
We shouldn't be playing to win. We should be playing for the future. I'd rather lose with a young side than an old one. Who knows, we might win games with these players!

I recon Katich would make a great captain, already has expierence with the job for NSW.
Harris is the best bowler in Australia and should lead the attack.
O'Keefe and Smith would be a good bowling pair as Authodox and wrist spin are nothing alike. Probably get better spin bowling partnerships with Hauritz and Smith but I think we're done with Haurit.
These guys aren't just the best young cricketers but they are our best performing cricketers at State level.
Not sure where they keep pulling guys like Doherty and North from and why...

Couldn't agree more. Khawaja must come into this side as should Copeland, Hughes and Smith.

Clarke and Ponting need a kick and sent a message that playing for Australia isn't all about tattoos and commercials. They have both given enormously to Aus cricket but they need a wake up call but this will never happen.

North out...no arguements.

Doherty out...he needs to go back and re-assess his bag of tricks. Its empty.

One of the fast men out...probably Bollinger.

I'm not a fan of Haddin either. He can handle the bat inconsistently but like Ponting and Clarke needs an attitude change. A replacement? Dunno enough of fitness on the likes of Pain....has he even played this season?????

I agree with playing for the future. I'd much rather see some young blokes getting flogged knowing they are developing than seeing guys that don't appreciate their position in this team wandering about aimlessly and collecting a pay check.

Ricky Ponting's finished. He doesn't have it any more. It's time for him to retire and if he won't go time to get dropped. Clarke is not a super star and never was. He's not a ponting, Langer, Hayden, Gilchrist. He averages 48 which is pretty good but not great and most of that was made in the early parts of his career. He hardly makes runs any more and he seems to be breaking down a lot. These are not good signs when your just about 30!
Harris is the only fast bowler we have with any skill. Siddle, Johnson and Bollinger don't do anything with the ball, they lack basic skills and have no natural variation to make up for it. Hilfenhaus has not bowling smarts and has no idea how to use his natural out swing. Lets try some other ones and there are some young guys with good records to give a go.
Pain broke a finger in an exhibition game so Haddin's spot is safe.
It's a perfect time to clean the team out. There are decent young players in first class cricket. getting beaten will do them no harm, it'll only build character.
We built our last dynasty by playing young players. McGrath, Warne, Ponting, Martyn, the Waughs Gillespie and to an extent Gilly were all pretty young starters.

The only problem is the selectors won't clean the team out mid Ashes, that'd be an embarrassment if it isn't already. Also, we've had it so good for so long its hard to make changes that are due to form instead of retirements. After the series I think there will be big changes and that's when the new dynasty will begin.....I hope.

gbatman said:
Well we are now two games behind in the Ashes and have nothing to lose. We're losing with an old side and when that's happening the only way to go is down. We must refresh the team.​

Here's a list of good young players in Australian Cricket:​

Rob Quiney - 42 32 28​
Shaun Marsh - 88 38 27​
Cameron White - 18 42 27​
Aaron Finch - 23 31 24​
Aiden Blizzard - 62 57 26​
Callum Ferguson - 59 35 26​
Usman Khawaja - 69 50 23​
Phil Hughes - 23 53 22​

Mitch Marsh - 16 91 19​
Steve O'Keefe - 51 25 25​
Steve Smith - 43 50 21​
Luke Butterworth - 28 26 27​
Best Young Bowlers (Career Average, Age):
Peter George - 28 24​
Trent Copeland - 18 24​
Mark Cameron - 24 29​

My Rebuilding XI:

1. S. Watson​
2. S. Katich (C)
3. S. Marsh​
4. C. Ferguson (VC)
5. A. Blizard​
6. B. Haddin​
7. S. O'Keefe​
8. S. Smith​
9. M. Cameron​
10. T. Copeland​
11. R. Harris​

In Reserve:
Peter George - Next Pace man in if someone breaks down or is terrible. Maybe for Harris.​

Rob Quiney - Not far from making the side.​

Aaron Finch - Not far off, needs to be more consistant. Should be in the ODI side.​

Usman Khawaja - Next in line for a Middle order job.​

Phil Hughes - Everything about the way he bats and more so they way he goes out suggests he's a middle order batsman, that's where he will bat for us. Can't believe people haven't realised he's a middle order batsman adn a good one and not an opener.​

^^^These Players and the top XI must be the Test Squad^^^​

Current Side:
S Watson - good form.​
S Katich - good form, good leadership.​
R Ponting - Not making runs, too old. Got to go, not the future.​
M Clarke - Not reliable, doesn't make runs when it counts. Gone.​
M Hussey - Good form but not the future.​
M North - Can't bat at all, hopeless defence.​
B Haddin- Terrible keeper, decent batsman.​
R Harris - Best Bowler in Australia.​
X Doherty - No variation, poor bowler.​
P Siddle - Can't move the ball, no tricks or smarts.​
D Bollinger - No tricks, doesn't move it enough, not very skilled like Siddle.​

B Hilfenhaus - No bowling smarts at all and can't pitch it in the right areas enough.​
N Hauritz - Probably Australia's best spinner but he's nothign special.​
M Johnson - Can't move the ball and has lost pace. Must go away, work on it and get it right.​

Verdict:
We shouldn't be playing to win. We should be playing for the future. I'd rather lose with a young side than an old one. Who knows, we might win games with these players!​
Some of what has been said is very good, other stuff I don't agree with. There's a few players that have been mentioned who shouldn't be anywhere near the test team.

Batsman

Guys like Quiney, White and Finch are never going to be test cricket bats, they simply aren't good enough. A career average of barely more than 30 in first-class cricket isn't good enough for the Australian test team, I don't care what anyone else says. Marsh is just starting to get his stuff together of late and is showing great form but is probably a fair way away from the side. Hughes has shown he is capable but is averaging 23 at the moment, so that's not something that is worth rewarding. The only two guys I'd consider putting in are Khawaja and Blizzard, I'm actually surprised by how high Blizzard's batting average is and we all know Usman is in pretty good touch. Ferguson probably needs more time at South Australia.

Bowlers

Peter George is all over the shop but has raw pace. I think he's similar to Shaun Tait and Brett Lee in that he is pretty quick but doesn't have the control. He has the ability to absolutely destroy a batting line-up or bowl 15 wides and get totally spanked, he might be an option if he can be more consistent. Mark Cameron has good form but is 29 and I wouldn't consider him young. He'd have maybe five years in him and has only really done anything of note very recently. The last three or four seasons he couldn't get a game for NSW.

Copeland looks good but has played maybe a handful of games. He'd be worth blooding in one of the later tests and/or maybe a series against a lesser opponent (Bangladesh, West Indies etc).

All-Rounders

I like O'Keefe but the rest don't impress me. Mitch Marsh is only 19 and has struggled playing for the Warriors this season, he's a long way from representing Australia in any form of the game. Smith isn't an all-rounder and should focus on improving his batting and Butterworth is okay but would he really be up to test cricket?

Current Side

Agree with everything said but these players,

Katich - Getting on now and doesn't have a bulk of runs to really hold down a spot. He is now injured and is one player they could move on if the player who replaces him does well. That person who does indeed take his spot is actually a good question in itself.

Hussey - Should have been gone a year ago but it'd be pretty harsh to drop a guy who has 330 runs from two games and has clearly been our best bat so far in the series. Should be given some more time but on notice that he has to perform.

Haddin - Keeping isn't great but we need a solid batter down the order as our batting is shoddy. Paine doesn't offer that and the rest are worse than Paine. Manou is awful and Ronchi is up and down like a yo-yo. Hartley would be lucky to reach 20 off 100 balls.

Harris - Not sold on him. Bowled pretty well but I'm just not convinced at the moment.

Hilfenhaus - One of our better swing bowlers and I think he was dropped prematurely. Would have liked to have seen him play another test or so before being given the axe.

That's my opinion anyway. I don't think the performance rests solely with the players though. I think CA have made a few wrong decisions in recent times with regards to player selection and the coaching seems to be lacking at the moment. Troy Cooley certainly isn't earning his money as our bowling coach and whoever is coaching our batters certainly isn't doing a good job either. Tim Nielsen is pretty woeful as well.

A pretty thorough analysis needs to be done after the World Cup. Ponting will be gone by then so that's one decision that will be made already. Some calls might need to be made on players but also the guys who coach the side as we've really gone downhill in the last year or so.

Where's all the Aussie supporters at these matches? We're told here in the UK our pound against your Dollar means it's bloody expensive to be out there at the minute and we all had the impression beforehand that it'd be close (May still be - Ponting wont go down without a fight) so, I'd have expected your crowd to be there playing it's 12 man role? Yet when you watch it, irrespective of the time/date etc, all you see is George Crosses and English blokes and all you can hear is the Barmy Army! What's going on? Are the Aussies giving up on cricket in favour of games consoles Wii and what have you?

Where's all the Aussie supporters at these matches? We're told here in the UK our pound against your Dollar means it's bloody expensive to be out there at the minute and we all had the impression beforehand that it'd be close (May still be - Ponting wont go down without a fight) so, I'd have expected your crowd to be there playing it's 12 man role? Yet when you watch it, irrespective of the time/date etc, all you see is George Crosses and English blokes and all you can hear is the Barmy Army! What's going on? Are the Aussies giving up on cricket in favour of games consoles Wii and what have you?

There's probably a few reasons for this.

Most of the days play are held on working days so most will only go to the game on weekends. I also think that because Australia is doing quite poorly, people have been turned off going to the cricket, the general mentality seems to be to that if my team is losing then I don't want to watch them lose. That attitude really just reeks of fans being bandwagoners and enjpying the good times then not being there for when the team isn't as good.

The last portion I think revolves around who is playing. When the last Ashes series was here, three of the Australia's great players (Warne, McGrath, Langer) announced that the 06/07 Ashes would be there last series. So the five tests was an opportunity for fans in each country to see these players one last time. In this series, there's nothing like that, only a few players who are out of form and perhaps should have been put out to pasture a while ago.

In the end, it's a bit surprising but considering how we're going it's really nothing different to any other sporting team. I'm sure if Australia were flogging England in England the crowds would be fairly low.

Some may have seen this posted elsewhere around the interweb but this is my take on what should happen:

Now to the real delemia: Team Australia.

As much as I rated Doherty before the first test and I hope he does make it I think he will become the scapegoat for the Perth test. North will stay I think but doesn't deserve to. We knew these issues were coming and this is how I would have planned for it:

India tour: Take a massive squad. We knew Bollinger and Hussey wouldn't be there until right before the first test. As such I see a great opportunity to try a few players out. To start with I would have booked in four tour matches instead of one. With four matches in mind I would have taken the following squad:

Openers:
S. Katich
P. Hughes
U. Kawaja

Middle Order Batters:
R. Ponting
M. North
C. White
G. Bailey
M. Clarke

All Rounders:
S. Watson
S. Smith
J. Hastings

Wicket Keepers:
T. Paine
M. Wade

Fast Bowlers:
J. Hazelwood
J. Pattinson
C. McKay
R. Harris
M. Starc
B. Hilfinhaus

Spinners:
N. Hauritz
X. Doherty
J. Holland

So I have a 22 man squad. With the four tour matches I can cycle players through in Indian conditions to see if they can play overseas out of the reletively comfort of Australia. We know Bollinger and Hussey will join the squad later bringing the numbers up to 24 but any players not required for the tests can be sent home. Pattinson got injured a bit after this, Haddin, Callum Ferguson and I think Siddle were injured before the series. I haven't put up Dave Hussey due to his age and the need to get some youth into the team.

So, with all these players they all get used to the touring lifestyle with test players such as Ponting, Katich and Clarke.

Now, after the Indian series we found out that Paine can cut it at test level with both the gloves and the stick. As such, he should have held onto his position due to form and age. We need the youth.

Also, Ponting would have the captaincy taken off him if I was choosing it. His field settings are poor and he doesn't seem to portray the same confidence as his predecessors did. At the least I would have him learn the correct field settings for a non-wicket taking spinner in Hauritz. This may seem an oxymoron but non-wicket takers have their place. Just look at how South Africa use Paul Harris's off-spinners to their advantage and due to their quality fast bowling stocks he ends up with two or three wickets due to the pressure they put on in the field for all the bowlers. Hauritz can be effective but needs the support of the field to be effective.

Next, North gone for either Kawaja or Smith due to their superior record in first class compared to Ferguson. Smith is the double-edged sword with his bowling too. Before the first test Hussey would have been out of my side too but I would have made the wrong decision it now seems.

Bowlers: Johnson wouldn't have made the Brisbane test for me. Hilfinhaus, Siddle and either Harris or Bollinger would have been my bowlers. People seem to put a lot of faith in Johnson due to his batting but he needs to take wickets as he leaks way too many runs, doesn't move the ball due to action and grip (will explain later) and is very erratic. his grip of the ball is all wrong for his action. The seam should be vertical, pointing at first slip for an out-swingger opposite for in-swinggers. He holds the ball with his fingers along the seam (like a conventional actioned bowler) which, due to his action negates swing and cutas while the ball is still spinning front-over-back the ball's attitude is with the seam being parralel to the ground, making the ball want to swing in the up-down motion.

Now I have fixed Johnson's problems I will move onto the Ashes.

So, my first test 12 would have been:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Kawaja
Clarke
Smith
Paine
Doherty
Siddle
Hilfinhaus
Bollinger
Harris

3 debutants but we need to move some of the older players on. Kawaja or Smith can be subsituted for Cameron White, who I think needs to be in the side for his batting and cricket brain. If he was in the side now he would just about be captain I feel.

One-and-a-half tests in and I will start planning for Perth. North out, any of White, Kawaja or Smith in. White the best fit though I feel. Bring James Pattinson into the squad depending on his game with the Vics. I rate him as the best up-and-coming bowler in the country. Doesn't need to play but will be a better player for the experience. If Harris is injured then should be considered. Still play Doherty as he needs experience. You cannot cut him this early and if Adelaide is drawn we can probably afford to carry him through the series. If the pitch is a greentop then select either White or Smith and use these guys for the 10 overs a spinner may bowl. With Watson, and three other quicks though you don't need a fifth fast bowler.

The way England are batting against us I think we need to change the bowlers. I'm not sure who should go yet, but James Pattinson should be the one considered.

And just to state my alliances, I am a NSW supporter.

Haddin - Keeping isn't great but we need a solid batter down the order as our batting is shoddy. Paine doesn't offer that and the rest are worse than Paine. Manou is awful and Ronchi is up and down like a yo-yo. Hartley would be lucky to reach 20 off 100 balls.

What's wrong with Matthew Wade? Averages 38 across the board and has 148 catches and 4 stumpings in 39 matches. I would have him in the side now and then go to Paine when his injury subsides.

Some of what has been said is very good, other stuff I don't agree with. There's a few players that have been mentioned who shouldn't be anywhere near the test team.

Batsman

Guys like Quiney, White and Finch are never going to be test cricket bats, they simply aren't good enough (Nor are Ponting, North and Clarke At the Moment). A career average of barely more than 30 in first-class cricket isn't good enough for the Australian test team , I don't care what anyone else says. Marsh is just starting to get his stuff together of late and is showing great form but is probably a fair way away from the side (No he's ready now, he's in form now). Hughes has shown he is capable but is averaging 23 at the moment, so that's not something that is worth rewarding. The only two guys I'd consider putting in are Khawaja and Blizzard, I'm actually surprised by how high Blizzard's batting average is and we all know Usman is in pretty good touch. Ferguson probably needs more time at South Australia (Agree on Blizzard, Khawaja and Hughes).

Bowlers

Peter George is all over the shop but has raw pace (So is Johnson and often the rest). I think he's similar to Shaun Tait and Brett Lee in that he is pretty quick but doesn't have the control. He has the ability to absolutely destroy a batting line-up (Then get him in, we need this desperatly) or bowl 15 wides and get totally spanked, he might be an option if he can be more consistent. Mark Cameron has good form but is 29 and I wouldn't consider him young. He'd have maybe five years in him and has only really done anything of note very recently. The last three or four seasons he couldn't get a game for NSW.

Copeland looks good but has played maybe a handful of games. He'd be worth blooding in one of the later tests and/or maybe a series against a lesser opponent (Bangladesh, West Indies etc) (agreed, but couldn't be much worse than what we already have).

All-Rounders

I like O'Keefe but the rest don't impress me. Mitch Marsh is only 19 and has struggled playing for the Warriors this season, he's a long way from representing Australia in any form of the game. Smith isn't an all-rounder and should focus on improving his batting and Butterworth is okay but would he really be up to test cricket? (Agree on all except Smith, still improving and is already better than North, Bart time wrist spin could be invaluable and he's just a bit better than part time).

Current Side

Agree with everything said but these players,

Katich - Getting on now and doesn't have a bulk of runs to really hold down a spot. He is now injured and is one player they could move on if the player who replaces him does well. That person who does indeed take his spot is actually a good question in itself. (I agree now, He must go).

Hussey - Should have been gone a year ago but it'd be pretty harsh to drop a guy who has 330 runs from two games and has clearly been our best bat so far in the series. Should be given some more time but on notice that he has to perform.

Harris - Not sold on him. Bowled pretty well but I'm just not convinced at the moment.

Hilfenhaus - One of our better swing bowlers and I think he was dropped prematurely. Would have liked to have seen him play another test or so before being given the axe.

That's my opinion anyway. I don't think the performance rests solely with the players though. I think CA have made a few wrong decisions in recent times with regards to player selection and the coaching seems to be lacking at the moment. Troy Cooley certainly isn't earning his money as our bowling coach and whoever is coaching our batters certainly isn't doing a good job either. Tim Nielsen is pretty woeful as well.

A pretty thorough analysis needs to be done after the World Cup. Ponting will be gone by then so that's one decision that will be made already. Some calls might need to be made on players but also the guys who coach the side as we've really gone downhill in the last year or so.
On more thinking of our Situation I think we have only one direction to go and prehaps build a young but smaller squad with a few old reliable players in it like Hussey and Harris for a year or so but it wont happen while Hilditch is there IMO. Chappel maybe.

Ponting has to go. Hussey, while he's playing well must be made captain and retained or be told his
time is up. Clarke has to go. Very over rated and performing poorly and as a 30
year old who often carrying injury and dropping out of form it's not good
enough. Katich while in good form is finished. Haddin has to go when Pain comes
back. Haddin can't keep and he's hit and miss with the bat. Haddin only makes
runs when it's a road. Keep Watson, still youngish and playing good cricket.

Siddle, Johnson and Bollinger are not convincing. They all lack basic
skills that allow them to move the ball with accuracy. That's not good enough
for test players. Harris is good enough and should head the bowling
attack.

Make a squad that consists of Hughes, Khawaja, Blizzard, Keith,
Marsh, Ferguson, Smith, George, Copeland, O'Keefe and Cameron.

Appoint
a young captain, but we are too gutless to. Show some balls and pick
a young guy who will learn and grow with the team. Let coaches do the teaching, not so called on field leaders who are past it.

This would be my Test
team and squad considering the situation and it's not just picking youth for the
sake of it these players are in pretty good form:

1. S. Watson - Holding the team's integrity together.

2. S. Marsh (C) - Averaging 88, enought said. He's ready NOW.

3. A. Blizzard - averaging nearly 60, hitting big scores.

4. C. Ferguson (VC) - Killing it for SA.

5. U. Khawaja - Averaging 60 od and making many big ones.

6. B. Haddin - Pain is injured...

7. S. O'Keefe - Decent young All rounder with leadership skills.

8. S. Smith - Great all round prospect, playing well for NSW. Wrist and Finger spin would be a good combination.

9. M. Cameron - Averages 24 and is faster than any one who has played test cricket since Lee. We need this desperatly.

10. T. Copeland - Averages 18 FFS!

11. R. Harris - Most skilled bowler we have. Posses basic skills which the others don't.

The Rest of the Squad:
Hughes, Keith, George, Copeland, Quiney.

Out:

Ponting - Past it. Doesn't
and never will realise it's over. Time to retire. He's a big reason for our
middle order collapse.

Clarke - Unreliable, doesn't score when we
need him to, too often carrying injury. Another big problem in our middle order
collapse. Has some shocking weakness to his batting like his outside off
weakness.

Katich - Been good but it's time to step
aside.

Hussey - Been excellent and in great form but where is he
going to take us? In his late 30's he's not the future. Perhaps another year or
so in the side then time to retire.

Bollinger - Not fit, not
quick, not moving the ball.

Johnson - should be in his prime but is far from it. is not super quick, can't move the ball. He's been figured out.

Siddle - Can't move the ball.

Hilfenhaus - Bowls short rubbish and has no bowling nouse. Doesn't understand swing bowling
at all.

Haddin - Can't keep and only scores on wickets that are
roads.

North - Gone. His long spell in the side is proof selectors can't see the bleeding obvious.

Beer - What's the left arm authodox obsession? Lets see if he lasts more than 1 match.

It would seem that post the third test we could reconsider the position. Most of our problem is batting. Our top order are a sorry lot. The bowlers are young and would perform better overall if the batsmen would give them a target to bowl at. Disagree over smith he is an all rounder and a lot more attention needs to go to his bowling, when he gets it right he is very good. Watson has done a mighty job but i do feel he needs to go down the order in the end. Ponting needs a big score and then announce his retirement. So my team is

1. S. Marsh
2. S. Katich(C)
3. S. Watson
4. U. Khawaja
5. M. Hussey(VC)
6. A. Blizzard
7. S. Smith
8. T. Paine
9. M. Johnstone
10. R. Harris
11. B. Hilfenhaus

This leaves plenty of talent to replace the couple of oldies as the need arrises. A young captain is needed to.

Well we are now two games behind in the Ashes and have nothing to lose. We're losing with an old side and when that's happening the only way to go is down. We must refresh the team.

Here's a list of good young players in Australian Cricket:

Rob Quiney - 42 32 28
Shaun Marsh - 88 38 27
Cameron White - 18 42 27
Aaron Finch - 23 31 24
Aiden Blizzard - 62 57 26
Callum Ferguson - 59 35 26
Usman Khawaja - 69 50 23
Phil Hughes - 23 53 22

Mitch Marsh - 16 91 19