Release point problems...

curtking

Release point problems...

On roughly 1 out of 4 throws back to the pitch, I don't release the ball properly and throw it into the ground about 10 feet in front of me, which is embarassing to say the least. The other throws are a mix -- some are too high, some are OK. I think the release point might be the issue, but I'm open to suggestion.

The biggest problem with this is that I'm now very hesitant to throw the ball, which means I'm not getting any power on it, either.

Anyone have any advice on a trigger or motion to assist with the proper release point? I've watched the Collingwood video, but it hasn't helped immensely.

Thanks,
Curt

Re: Release point problems...

1 ov our players do this but it is due to him flicking his wrist and forcing the ball into the ground

Keep focussing on the target, use the non throwing arm as a guide and follow through with the throwing arm.

Throwing is a skill that you can really improve by yourself. Last year I could barely throw accurately over 30 yards which was a bit embarassing. But during the winter I spent some time throwing a tennis ball at a stump up against a wall. I started relatively close and moved back as the accuracy improved. I'm still not great, but I can get the ball in from the boundary at most grounds now (usually with a bounce).

After a while of repeated throwing you get used to judging the distance to get the ball into the keepers hands without having to think about it too much.

Remember - Don't rush the throw.

Take half a second to balance, and bring your body into its most ideal position, then let fly. Better being half a second and nailing it directly over the bails, than being quick and missing by a distance.

and ps; with good resistance and strength training, you'll find that you are able to get into ideal positions quicker, and become far more stable.

Back