Rules Changes - Dvca

The rule shouldn't apply to spinners l agree. I think they are starting to gather some real evidence that the number of back injuries to young bowlers is reducing, however on the flip side the number of stress fractures to feet and the lower leg are increasing. So who knows?? I thought the rule was handed down from cricket australia so every comp had to abide by it?

My understanding is that it was a recommendation, rather than a ruling.

Not a fan of it myself - The theory behind it is good, but there's no practicality to it. Game day needs to be taken in to account when rules like this are brought in. This hasn't happened here. IMO.

It can all be fixed with some common sense from the kids' captains/club execs. Kids aren't afraid to let someone know when they're cooked these days and it's obvious that different bowling styles and body types react differently to different workloads. Let them bowl til they've had enough!

There are too many grey areas for such a black and white rule.

My understanding is that it was a recommendation, rather than a ruling.

Not a fan of it myself - The theory behind it is good, but there's no practicality to it. Game day needs to be taken in to account when rules like this are brought in. This hasn't happened here. IMO.

It can all be fixed with some common sense from the kids' captains/club execs. Kids aren't afraid to let someone know when they're cooked these days and it's obvious that different bowling styles and body types react differently to different workloads. Let them bowl til they've had enough!

There are too many grey areas for such a black and white rule.

The rule is a complete croc...
Match day bowlers are restrcited to 30 ball spells, yet can bowl at training unlimited - maybe over 100 balls...
Then if they train with seniors, bowl some more, when they finish playing a match, what do they do... go over to the nets and play for hours on end...

So for 6 1/2 days of the week they can play unlimited yet are restricted on match day...???

The rule is good in theory and intention, but practically useless.

We put up the one regarding having the option not to bat at the end of Day 1 a year or two ago and it got knocked back - don't know if it was a close vote or not... I think we went with 10 overs though (ie. you roll a team within the last 10 overs of the day, and you have the option not to bat).

Maybe three overs instead of 10 would make it more likely to get up this time around...

Well, I think this should seriously be looked at now.
Maybe make it no more than the end of the 75th over. No reward for the team who bowls first is ridiculous, and in fact it somehow rewards the team who couldn't bat the full day.
Obviously if you take the option not to bat the remaining 5 overs, you forfeit these overs and start fresh the next week

Maybe make it no more than the end of the 75th over. No reward for the team who bowls first is ridiculous, and in fact it somehow rewards the team who couldn't bat the full day.
Obviously if you take the option not to bat the remaining 5 overs, you forfeit these overs and start fresh the next week

I am torn on the issue. My first thought is - Play the full 80 overs on day 1. I like seeing batsmen having to tough it out for 5 overs. Yeah it can be tough if you're the batting side, but it is a massive psychological advantage to walk off a ground at 6pm thinking, we just rolled you in a day, had to bat for 5 overs in average light, and you couldn't get a wicket.

If you don't want to bat the last 5 overs, don't take the last wicket and chase more next week.

seriously serge, its an 80 over day, 160over match, leave it alone....if you dont want to bat the last 5 overs, either dont bowl them out, or win the toss!!!!!
there are no rewards for being bowled out in under a day! you need tougher openers out your way if they dont want to bat at the end of the day.

I'm not sold that it should change, but at times you feel you have been punished for bowling a side out. We knocked a side over for 150-160ish this year and were 2/8 overnight, 2 LBWs. 1 was plum, the other dubious and was obviously me out... ;)
90% of openers, 100% of number 3 batsmen.

I think it's a ridiculous rule change. Just accept it as one of the idiosyncracies of the game. Think of test cricket, should sides be able to decide they don't want to bat the rest of the day? as its a tactical disadvantage? (I know Tests are time limited and subject to draws but I think the comparison stands...) Yeah it's shit having to go out and bat 8-9 overs but it comes with the territory its in an openers job description.

I lean toward this, but ******** I hate my job description when I don't get through the 8-9 overs...
I think it's a ridiculous rule change. Just accept it as one of the idiosyncracies of the game. Think of test cricket, should sides be able to decide they don't want to bat the rest of the day? as its a tactical disadvantage? (I know Tests are time limited and subject to draws but I think the comparison stands...) Yeah it's shit having to go out and bat 8-9 overs but it comes with the territory its in an openers job description.

2 from 3 for me...it's days like that you wish you were hiding at number 6 to come out and smash around the change bowlers.

You mean hiding at number 6 cleaning up the mess left behind from soft openers who couldn't get through a few tough overs over night?

You mean hiding at number 6 cleaning up the mess left behind from soft openers who couldn't get through a few tough overs over night?

Mate I spent so much time cleaning up messes last year I now refer to my bat as the shovel; cos it's generally used to dig us out of the crap...and I WAS opening the batting lol.

Back