Run-up For A Wrist Spinner

I personally think that a slightly angled approach is the best for wristies. Shane Warne, Imran tahir, Stuart McGill, Brad Hogg all seem to prefer an angled approach. I start my run-up just outside the return crease, angle in and bowl from the middle of the crease. When you take an angled run-up its also important to 'chase the ball' in your follow through as Peter Philpott stresses in his book. I have had great success with this approach as my body alignment is perfect and my spin spin and drift is maximized as a result. I have tried a few times to adopt a straighter approach which didn't turn out right because my action got slightly open chested and i started pushing the ball and as a result lost all the spin and drift. Have any of you tried or had success with this approach?

If this approach feels comfortable to you and you're able to complete each delivery to your standard then you should use it. I personally have been asked why i DO NOT use this method for my run up and my answer is because i can't complete my deliveries to the standard i should. I find a straight run-up makes sure all your momentum is directed down the wicket and makes sure you bowl and your full speed. But that is my opinion. Like i said if it works for you why fix what isn't broken.

If this approach feels comfortable to you and you're able to complete each delivery to your standard then you should use it. I personally have been asked why i DO NOT use this method for my run up and my answer is because i can't complete my deliveries to the standard i should. I find a straight run-up makes sure all your momentum is directed down the wicket and makes sure you bowl and your full speed. But that is my opinion. Like i said if it works for you why fix what isn't broken.

I don't want to change it but a lot of people insist that a straighter run-up will make it a lot less complicated. But I feel that you will get a lot more revs with the angled method than the straight approach cause you have to spin the ball hard and explode at the crease to complete your action. Also the pivot will be bigger. When it comes to the pivot the bigger the better.

It is less complicated when you use the straighter run up. Have you tried both run ups? If not try and see which one turns more and which one feels more comfertable?

I don't want to change it but a lot of people insist that a straighter run-up will make it a lot less complicated. But I feel that you will get a lot more revs with the angled method than the straight approach cause you have to spin the ball hard and explode at the crease to complete your action. Also the pivot will be bigger. When it comes to the pivot the bigger the better.

Kiran if it works for you then don't change it. As 90degree has said, when you've got a bit of time have a look at it and see how it works. Peter Philpott more or less says that in his book, if you've got something in your action that is unorthodox if it works leave it as it is. I think these days though with biomechanics and a greater understanding of what can lead to injuries in the longer term (Warne suffers from bad knees these days) bio-mechanists advocate a straighter run up, but you'd have to see if Liz or one or the others can varify that as being the basic principle.

Back