Run Up For Slow Bowling - Leg Spin

solanki

Hi!

I recall seeing some slow bowlers having a peculiar style in starting their run up. It appears as if they are counting their steps or something. I guess it is perhaps a way to know when "to launch into the full action" or "take the first stride" (forgive my lack of technical jargon and vague phrases).

Do you recall any particular names of spinners witch such actions?

I am asking because I feel that I mess up in my run up and lose rhythm because my body does not naturally know when to take the first stride.

Here's my problem restated:
  • I sometimes bowl lose deliveries when I lose my rhythm in my run up...
  • ...and I GUESS (guess is the operative word here) it is mostly because my body does not know when to launch itself fully into the runup.
I'll try and post a video ASAP!

Hi!

I recall seeing some slow bowlers having a peculiar style in starting their run up. It appears as if they are counting their steps or something. I guess it is perhaps a way to know when "to launch into the full action" or "take the first stride" (forgive my lack of technical jargon and vague phrases).

Do you recall any particular names of spinners witch such actions?

I am asking because I feel that I mess up in my run up and lose rhythm because my body does not naturally know when to take the first stride.

Here's my problem restated:
  • I sometimes bowl lose deliveries when I lose my rhythm in my run up...
  • ...and I GUESS (guess is the operative word here) it is mostly because my body does not know when to launch itself fully into the runup.
I'll try and post a video ASAP!

Have a look at this and see if this helps.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnPiWob0QI

everyone has their own personal method for finding rhythm, but the approach is pretty important to this. personally I take 5 steps, 3 are literally just steps, the 4th is a bigger more powerful stride and then the 5th is my pre-release stride. All of the power and momentum is built in the final 2 steps, the 3 prior to that are purely for rhythm. I count my steps most of the time, and I am religious about perfectly repeating my approach every ball. it just gets your mind and body focussed on your action. I also mark my run-up very specifically as part of this. however I am no-balling a bit recently after I've settled into my spell, as I increase my energy and my strides increase a bit with it. so I need to mark it 6-12" back.

Hey jim, perhaps try something i do when approaching to bowl. Just before you enter the 'loadup' steps or '4th' and '5th' as you described, look at the crease momentarily, then back to where you usually look when you bowl. I found this helped by allowing me to estimate 'on the fly' the amount of distance i needed my final couple of steps and delivery stride to be

I've tried that, looking at the crease ruins my action!!!! I put my attention into where my foot lands and the rest of the action falls apart. It is absolutely the worse thing I can do, but that doesn't mean it won't help other people, it is just my personal issue. I bowled my 2nd best ever performance when I had the sun in my eyes so badly that I couldn't see the crease haha. So on the one hand I bowl no-balls sometimes because I completely ignore the existance of the crease lines. But I have to do that in order to get my rhythm, so its a small sacrifice. I'm going to start marking my run-up 12" further back to counter it, because I don't need to be attacking that line, and I tend to overpitch slightly anyway, so there is no harm in dropping back a bit.

Back