Scared Of The Ball

Having started winter nets now, I've noticed that I'm not playing as fluently as I would with, say, a bowling machine ball or tennis ball. I think it's because I'm starting to get scared of the ball. I'm not backing away or anything like that, but anything from middle stump to outside leg, no matter what the length, I just can't middle the ball. I am a very technical batsman (for my age group anyway, U13) and rely almost solely on timing rather than power, so not being able to hit the ball sweetly is more of a problem than it would be for others.

Having started winter nets now, I've noticed that I'm not playing as fluently as I would with, say, a bowling machine ball or tennis ball. I think it's because I'm starting to get scared of the ball. I'm not backing away or anything like that, but anything from middle stump to outside leg, no matter what the length, I just can't middle the ball. I am a very technical batsman (for my age group anyway, U13) and rely almost solely on timing rather than power, so not being able to hit the ball sweetly is more of a problem than it would be for others.

It's one of the reasons cricket takes a long time to really get the hang of. Batting requires you to develop counter-intuitive skills. Instinctively, you want to move away from the line of the ball and turn your head away from the ball. You have to cultivate a behaviour that sees you step into the line of the ball and watch the ball all the way onto the bat. That's not easy when the ball is coming at you at a decent pace. However, the more positive you are in this, the more likely you are to play the ball safely. Moving away from the ball and taking your eyes off the ball actually leave you quite likely to get hit.

Unfortunately, the only option of dealing with the fear of being hit by the ball is to work with someone throwing tennis balls or soft but heavy training balls. Other than that, it is simply a case of forcing yourself into position. Once you start middling the ball, it gets better and better. You find that a lot in cricket. Things can improve quite quickly and they can go badly quite quickly.

Back