seam movement?

scorpsteals

seam movement?

How to play a bowler who is getting movement after pitching the ball on the seam on a good length delivery? I got out thrice this season with such a bowler edging to the keeper and me being an opener I feel I should knw how to tackle those deliveries. Any advice?

Also how does a good opener approach chasing a target of 300 in 40 overs. I knew if I would see off the new ball we would win the game. I still was attacking right from the start and edged a ball on good length delivery which moved away after pitching. The same bowler ended up picking 4 of our top order batsman and took the game away from us. We ended up losing by 75 runs with 9 overs to spare.

Re: seam movement?

I would rate myself somewhere in between level 2 and a level 3 cricketer and I play against cricketers who fall in mostly the same levels as I am in. I play league cricket in USA.

300 is a very large score for 40 overs, i would advise watching the seam position as it comes out of the bowlers arm. You could start out of the crease if the keeper is back to cut out irregular bounce which can cause an edge, this also lowers the amount of seam movement the ball will have as it reaches you. Play with soft hands which would mean an edge won't reach the keeper, alternatively leave and balls you can, or fully go for them, the pace will take the ball to the boundary.

Chasing 300 in 40 overs is a big task.
One of the opener(Natural Hitter of the ball) should go after the bowling from the start itself and the other opener should hold the inngs from one end.
When it comes to your own individual batting;you have to judge your own batting ability.
Wether u r a natural hitter of the ball or prefer the waiting game i.e. defend and hit.
Secondly;it is your team's expectation from your batting that is very important.

I knw 300 is a big total but the ground we played in was a little smaller and had a lightning outfield. If we had batted 40 overs we would have won the game. We had 75 to chase of the last 9 overs only thing was we were out of wickets. Psychologically 300 plays on your mind and I cdn't take that out of my mind. Our top order collapsed of the new ball. If I had given the team a good start we would have won the game.

And if the rest of the top order hadn't collapsed, you might of won the game too. Not everything rests on your shoulders, in team sports, losses are not an individual's fault, they are the fault of the whole team. Just because you didn't make many runs isn't the single factor that lost the match, it's the whole team's failure to stay in, so don't blame it on your self ;)

scorpsteals said:
Psychologically 300 plays on your mind and I cdn't take that out of my mind. Our top order collapsed of the new ball. If I had given the team a good start we would have won the game.
It also depends upon the team strategy for chasing those runs and what role u had in it.
U didn't clicked and feel sad is good but u have to regain focus for the next game as well.
Secondly;what is Ur opening combination like:
Both steady players,
One hitter other one steady or
Both are hitters.
That is something Ur team needs to plan on.
Being a Opener the onus of making runs falls on your shoulders.

True this is a team sport.. i am just angry at myself for not being able to give a good start. I am supposed to be the one who is a defensive opener. The other opener has the freedom to swing his arms. I think I need some tips on playing the new ball. Also how do I take my mind off when chasing a big total I naturally become attacking. I have gotten out to seaming deliveries twice in 5 innings I have played so far.

scorpsteals said:
How to play a bowler who is getting movement after pitching the ball on the seam on a good length delivery? I got out thrice this season with such a bowler edging to the keeper and me being an opener I feel I should knw how to tackle those deliveries. Any advice?

The key to dealing with the seamer ball is footwork and a good awareness of where your off stump is. Try to get forward to the pitch of the ball to minimise the amount of movement from the ball, with soft hands in case it does take the edge.

Also, you have to be realistic and accept that the ball is doing stuff and you have to play accordingly, which may mean not scoring as quickly as you'd like. If you're there at the end of the game, chances are you'll do well personally and so will have the team.

Have a look at the Peter Wellen

scorpsteals said:
Also how does a good opener approach chasing a target of 300 in 40 overs. I knew if I would see off the new ball we would win the game. I still was attacking right from the start and edged a ball on good length delivery which moved away after pitching. The same bowler ended up picking 4 of our top order batsman and took the game away from us. We ended up losing by 75 runs with 9 overs to spare.

Break the game down into little targets. I tend to look at the score and work by either overs or small blocks of runs, say 10 at a time. It can help you concentrate and makes the task seem that little bit easier.

You had 40 overs to bat in, that could have been broken down into eight 5 over blocks, with a run total for each. That way you can also assess the situation and accelerate or re-group as needed.

On a personal level, learn to switch off between balls to help conserve mental strength, and remember to keep talking to your batting partner. Keep each other going and help them out as and when you can.

We had to chase over 300 in 35 overs yesterday. Needless to say we didn't, but the openers set a pretty good platform. After 11 overs the score was 60-0 and one opener had 54 of them!! Our blocker was certainly taking his job seriously. In the end we got just under 200 and batted out the overs, which shows you how the openers can make a difference I guess. On the other hand, surely the top order should be able do to the same thing too?

300 is certainley i high score for 40 overs! imagine there were a fair few boundaries there!

Personally i would look to see of the new ball! wait for the first change and then accelorate teh run rate!

wait for the bad balls and take them but look to score or rotate the strike off the good balls.

for a score like that you've got to try and rotate the strike.
singles off good deliveries and boundries off bad deliveries

As trescho mentions the key is rotating the strike. It will put the fielding side under pressure and hopefully lead to mistakes, which can then be turned into 2/3/4 runs etc.

mas cambios good piece of advice thr.. thnx for all your help guys.. we have an important game this weekend against a team comprising of former West indian player who plays really good.. hoping to do well this time..

Back