Seca - Sth East Ca 17/18

Lets forget the past for a moment until the next pile of controversy rears its ugly head during what should be a very interesting Prelim and Grand Finals.
Longy - Union to bounce back against the Bulldogs from VP however both teams are really evenly matched. Batting on both teams can be suspect especially with arguably the two best bowling attacks in the comp going at it. If any of them post 230 plus they will win but runs can be a plenty on the postage stamp Centenary. Footnote- Coxy must be really excited that the game is at his old club.
Wooly - This is really interesting with both teams renowned for the odd choke as was proved last year in the finals. Cluden rate themselves over highly and Omega are more of a working class side therefore I'm tipping them to take care of business.
Quiney - Le-page have a good squad and may get some numbers back due to their firsts getting rolled out of the game last week. Uniting are a solid team as well which indicates a great contest, Le-page only just.
D-Grade - Hampton United will be up to the contest against a shell shocked Union team who were dismantled by the Sri Lankans last week. Rumour also is that Union have some injury concerns, but you don't finish on top without doing something right and if the key Union players step up then they will win, this should be another good contest.

Based on my observations, clubs are struggling with juniors, and the motivation of kids to play cricket has waned in the past 5 years. The heat has a lot to do with that. Parents get worried about their little princes running around getting dehydrated, plus the risk of melanoma. If you believe all of the Green hysteria, then temperatures are on the increase and cricket's future as a viable day sport has to be questioned.
I agree there’s a lot of other choices for young people when it comes to Saturday entertainment I think cricket is going okay..
A quick scroll through MyCricket shows that between SECA and CSB just over 190 teams played Saturday cricket and 160 junior teams..
How brilliant it would be if it were all combined and worked together for cricket in the south east... haha

I agree there’s a lot of other choices for young people when it comes to Saturday entertainment I think cricket is going okay..
A quick scroll through MyCricket shows that between SECA and CSB just over 190 teams played Saturday cricket and 160 junior teams..
How brilliant it would be if it were all combined and worked together for cricket in the south east... haha
Great pipe dream there Troy, but I'm hearing strong Whispers that the SECA clubs will not vote to join the proposed CSB and CV proposal for the local Sth East region.

Which organization single-handedly kept junior cricket alive in the South East for over 40 years?
It wasn't the subbies or the VTCA clubs, it was the CMCA. The former contributed absolutely nothing, just wanted the fruits of the hard work. CMCA clubs were rewarded by having clubs like Moorabbin and Ormond spending their time poaching their juniors. Now all of a sudden CV wants everyone to work for the benefit of cricket, but as long as turf controls everything.

Good question Troy, old Clocker has obviously been massively affected over the years and probably been affected by the sun. He does go off tangent sometimes but also makes some relevant points with regards to how SECA execs have been performing which results to on-field issues with some clubs.

Climate change....

Longmuir, Woolnough Shields and Standard Overs Grades (Quiney to G incl.)

If the official Bureau of Meteorology maximum forecast displayed for Moorabbin at 9 am on the day of the game is 40 degrees or above, play is automatically cancelled for that day. (Clubs should monitor this on the SECA website and Facebook.) When Day 1 is cancelled as above, a one-day game shall be played on the scheduled Day 2.
Having started play, no play shall take place while the temperature is 40 degrees or higher. If the temperature remains at 40 degrees or higher for more than 60 minutes during the scheduled time of play, further play MUST be abandoned for the day. The appropriate provisions pertaining to interruptions and delays caused by inclement weather shall apply – see by-laws 4.4.1.1 and 4.4.1.3.
There are no Reserve Days for Preliminary Finals. In the event of no result, draw or tie, the team that finished higher on the ladder at the end of the home and away games will be awarded the game.

Which organization single-handedly kept junior cricket alive in the South East for over 40 years?
It wasn't the subbies or the VTCA clubs, it was the CMCA. The former contributed absolutely nothing, just wanted the fruits of the hard work. CMCA clubs were rewarded by having clubs like Moorabbin and Ormond spending their time poaching their juniors. Now all of a sudden CV wants everyone to work for the benefit of cricket, but as long as turf controls everything.
That's a very good summary and that's why allot of the SECA clubs are also really confused with what's been put on the table so far by CV and CSB. The meeting last week with all parties just confused everyone even further with absolutely no real substance and answers provided.

Which is a damn shame.
Refer to Clockers input below, pretty much sums it up so why merge ?
Clocker;

What's the Boxing day test played on Clock.
It's a different era , with different people running it. Ormond are a joke , just try and poach every kid and they are playing in a dead comp.

It's a different era , with different people running it. Ormond are a joke , just try and poach every kid and they are playing in a dead comp.
Subbies were never really interested in the CV proposal and are in deep trouble especially clubs like Ormond [ poaching kids who play for their Craig shield team ] and Moorabbin who are putrid in most grades. CSV I must admit bring interest and excitement back and local teams playing against local teams is a great mix. SECA has had the same mix [ localised ] which has always worked, but expanding or accepting some of the fairly ordinary clubs from ISEC hasn't worked too well for plenty of reasons.

It is played on a road painted light green. The same with the Junction oval. I have no issue with Turf cricket. I played it for a number of years and enjoyed my time.

The CMCA from the late 70's has been an example of the mouse that roared. It was a brilliant competition which grew into a cult status. Every club had their personalities and their villains. On the field, the cricket was hard and uncompromising. Off the field, it was just as uncompromising. There were on field rivalries that could almost be described as blood feuds. The clubs were a few km's away from each other, but some of the rivalries went back a generation. I am sure turf had its own equivalent, however nobody really heard about them or cared. Many a turf player's reputation was trashed after having tried their hand at the mats, and just never quite worked out for them.

After years of inaction, total disinterest and disengagement, CV has finally woken up with a mission to fix cricket. Where do they start? Well there are too many teams in Premier cricket, how about getting rid of 4-6 teams? No, can't do that, need to think about it. Huge ramifications for the game. fair enough. Allright, no brainer, let's fix up the mess which is sub-district cricket.
Too many clubs, powerful interests and factions, and the competition just seems out of place and stuck in the 60's. Hmm too hard, let's put this to the side. Ah then the VTCA...Competition has been a problem for years. Let's have a Royal commission. Ah I know there is a little competition which has been annoying us. Let's totally destroy them and show them we are not to be messed with. Let's focus all our energy and resources on this area. Some clubs in the CMCA have been around for 30-70 years, more than a lot of turf clubs, but stuff that, we want everything to be turf-centric in our new world order.

Have your turf comps, do whatever you enjoy, just leave the CMCA alone to do what it has been doing since 1930. Why does CV have to destroy a competition that has consistently produced cricketers for Turf clubs? All of a sudden CV believes that Turf Clubs that have contributed ************ all and struggled to survive are somehow better at developing players?

A lot of that is fair Clocker, you are spot on about Premier cricket , there should be 10 , or a max of 12 teams .
The original task force was set up to regionalize Turf cricket , not hard wicket . I have no idea why it changed.

A lot of that is fair Clocker, you are spot on about Premier cricket , there should be 10 , or a max of 12 teams .
The original task force was set up to regionalize Turf cricket , not hard wicket . I have no idea why it changed.
Well atm premier cricket has 18 clubs should be 12 and sub district has 28 clubs and depends on what rumour that right or wrong could be 34 clubs by the start of next season.
But with SECA/CMCA I hope it survives on its own and not be a CSB clone

It should be just turf.
Well we agree. Hard wicket competitions are there to compliment turf clubs. They are not interested in forming huge competitions. In fact how many turf clubs play hard wicket cricket to develop their players. It is a win-win situation. CV has started with noble intentions, but as they started digging into it I am sure they have been met with objections and arguments from affected parties. The good old not in my back yard argument. Sub District cricket is the elephant in the room.

The SECA would have no problems running their own comp as they are at the moment but they do need to be more innovative and progressive. I'm doubtful that by just aligning themselves under this new proposal that it would be the case. The top man was spruiking the proposal on the Radio coverage at last weekends finals by glossing over things but without too much substance. Interestingly there were not too many SECA people in favour of it if you believe the conversations over the weekend.

Well we agree. Hard wicket competitions are there to compliment turf clubs. They are not interested in forming huge competitions. In fact how many turf clubs play hard wicket cricket to develop their players. It is a win-win situation. CV has started with noble intentions, but as they started digging into it I am sure they have been met with objections and arguments from affected parties. The good old not in my back yard argument. Sub District cricket is the elephant in the room.

SECA are now pretty much the odd one out. ECA and DDCA are pretty much play on although CV are now trying to push BHRDCA and RDCA into a single entity with the ECA, not sure how that's travelling. North/West are all being pulled into a single zone. The whole thing is driven by CV wanting to have their Regional Head of each zone being the single point of contact with local councils, for SECA being Port Phillip, Kingston and Glen Eira. Subbies aren't the elephant in the room, they aren't in the room. They had agates to turn around to CV and say, no thanks, our clubs don't want to change the model. Ormond just missed finals, Moorabbin had their best year in a while, it's not all doom and gloom as some make it out to be.

The top 4 in CSB would smash Ormond and Moorabbin.

The Binners finished 7th of the 7 VSDCA South clubs so CSB's top 4 would be embarassed if they didn't have them covered. Ormond would fancy their chances against Carnegie, even Beauy, doubt they would be smashed. Not a SECA issue so not commenting further on this.

Back