Senior Division 10/11

Interesting point about the standard Rugmop. I would tend to agree that the players are in much better shape these days, always a couple of exceptions though! The top teams have certainly gotten stronger over the years.

Should be a terrific battle in the Grand Final. YCCC certainly know how to win a close one (unbelievable wins the last two weeks) and both teams know how to win a flag. I think Bentleigh's depth will be too strong provided Street and McInness can break through the class of O'Keefe, Baker, Ion and Smart. Let's hope the new GF venue at Murrumbeena can produce conditions worthy of this high standard match.

Interesting point about the standard Rugmop. I would tend to agree that the players are in much better shape these days, always a couple of exceptions though! The top teams have certainly gotten stronger over the years.

Should be a terrific battle in the Grand Final. YCCC certainly know how to win a close one (unbelievable wins the last two weeks) and both teams know how to win a flag. I think Bentleigh's depth will be too strong provided Street and McInness can break through the class of O'Keefe, Baker, Ion and Smart. Let's hope the new GF venue at Murrumbeena can produce conditions worthy of this high standard match.

Smart?? Class?? A bit rich there Cash Man imo. Has a highest score of 36 over the last 2 years. And I would even say that he is an "honest" bowler. Granted, he has taken 2 5fa's in gfs, which is a great effort. But overall, I would say an honest player. The other names mentioned there can all win any game, especially finals. But I feel that the winning side will come from the team who's "fringe" players contribute the most.

Smart?? Class?? A bit rich there Cash Man imo. Has a highest score of 36 over the last 2 years. And I would even say that he is an "honest" bowler. Granted, he has taken 2 5fa's in gfs, which is a great effort. But overall, I would say an honest player. The other names mentioned there can all win any game, especially finals. But I feel that the winning side will come from the team who's "fringe" players contribute the most.

I reckon you're being a bit harsh there. He is a classy player who as you admit steps up in finals. He may be getting a bit past it batting wise but his bowling is top notch. in 4 grand finals = 18 wickets. Look for him to be in the thick of it again.

I reckon you're being a bit harsh there. He is a classy player who as you admit steps up in finals. He may be getting a bit past it batting wise but his bowling is top notch. in 4 grand finals = 18 wickets. Look for him to be in the thick of it again.

I don't think so. Cash Man said if the Bentleigh bowlers can get through the class of O'Keefe, baker, Ion and Smart!! Smarty is not a class bat is my main point. Granted, as I stated, has bowled well in gf's. But definately not what I would class as a "class" bat.

I don't think so. Cash Man said if the Bentleigh bowlers can get through the class of O'Keefe, baker, Ion and Smart!! Smarty is not a class bat is my main point. Granted, as I stated, has bowled well in gf's. But definately not what I would class as a "class" bat.

you havent seen smarty hit a ball then he hits them to the next suburb when he gets going

i used to play with smarty he is dangerous whatever he is doing out there on the ground

Slow going but very well poised for some great cricket next weekend. Might have changed my tip after Day 1 but Roach has showed us why he's the only player in the VTCA with a first class century to his name. YCCC look likely to be chasing 300 and I think that will be too many even with their cla$$ batting lineup.

Slow going but very well poised for some great cricket next weekend. Might have changed my tip after Day 1 but Roach has showed us why he's the only player in the VTCA with a first class century to his name. YCCC look likely to be chasing 300 and I think that will be too many even with their cla$$ batting lineup.
Yeh, just under 2 hours play. The outfield was slow because of the density of the grass (rather than its length) and Yarraville bowled stump to stump most of the time. I thought they went defensive too early with their field settings, especially seeing they have to win the game. Roach is a very good player and has that rarest of qualities for this standard of cricket - infinite patience. Should be a great finale next week. The track is a belter.

Yeh, just under 2 hours play. The outfield was slow because of the density of the grass (rather than its length) and Yarraville bowled stump to stump most of the time. I thought they went defensive too early with their field settings, especially seeing they have to win the game. Roach is a very good player and has that rarest of qualities for this standard of cricket - infinite patience. Should be a great finale next week. The track is a belter.

It was a very defensive field which has allowed Roach to pick them off

Yep, Yarraville Club keep it pretty simple. At stages it was a 7/2 field, or at the very least a 6/3. Bowl off stump or wide of it and wait for the batsman to make a mistake. Problem with that plan against Roach is the dude has played 4 day shield cricket for Victoria, as rugmop says, he has incredible patience. He let ball after ball go, and in the end the bowlers started bowling at the stumps where Roach could just pick them off.

Despite the fact that the game has now reverted to ordinary conditions, the rain couldn't have come at a better time for YC yesterday. They were out of ideas and looked pretty flat. The second new ball had hardly made a dent in Bentleighs batting line up. At least now they can come back fresh next weekend and load up again and try and get these last 3 wickets. Although it's taken them 110 overs to 7 so far.

If there is one team in the comp that could chase down a 300 score, it's Yarraville Club.

Worst sledge of the weekend : YC supporter bagging Roach about not being as good as Darren Berry.

you might want to do some research there pal as there are at least 2 other cricketer's playing in senior division with first class century's to there name !!

you might want to do some research there pal as there are at least 2 other cricketer's playing in senior division with first class century's to there name !!

If you're going to nitpick about accuracy, it might serve you better to first remove the log from your own eye. Also, have capital letters been outlawed in your part of the woods? BTW, it is only in comic books that successive exclamation marks are acceptable.

If you're going to nitpick about accuracy, it might serve you better to first remove the log from your own eye. Also, have capital letters been outlawed in your part of the woods? BTW, it is only in comic books that successive exclamation marks are acceptable.

Who gives a stuff, we know what he means

Who gives a stuff, we know what he means

That's hardly any fault of his/hers. If you're going to take the plunge to criticise somebody for posting inaccuracies, it behoves you not to be guilty of doing the same. If you're happy to have posters criticised because of the minutiae of their posts, rather than their intent and substantive content, that's fine.

Alternatively, maybe you should be directing this statement to the person making unwarranted attacks on somebody who is providing a far more interesting contribution to this discussion than that carping person you're defending?

That's hardly any fault of his/hers. If you're going to take the plunge to criticise somebody for posting inaccuracies, it behoves you not to be guilty of doing the same. If you're happy to have posters criticised because of the minutiae of their posts, rather than their intent and substantive content, that's fine.

Alternatively, maybe you should be directing this statement to the person making unwarranted attacks on somebody who is providing a far more interesting contribution to this discussion than that carping person you're defending?

Not defending him at all, lets get back to the cricket

Ok then boys, lets get some tips from you all for the Senior Division flag. Bentleigh or Yarraville and please indicate why.

My tip (and probably no suprise to some) is Bentleigh. Why? Well with Roach still at the crease Bentleigh would have to (at this stage) be favourites to go on and post a big score which may just be out of reach for Yarraville to get. With Bentleigh's bowling attack and the fact that Sunday's forecast is for rain, time may just run out for Yarraville.

Having said all that, Yarraville (as we know) have an exceptional batting line up and if anyone can chase down a score, it will be them, but I fear (as mentioned) Bentleighs bowling attack will be too strong.

Bentleigh is my pick. If they can get up and over 300 and the rain comes as predicted Yarraville would probably have to score at 3.5 + an over.By no means out of control but enough to allow the steady flow of wickets through attacking strokes.
If Bentleigh do get over the line would be a great achievement in their 1st year back and something that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Back