Setting a field

edladd

Setting a field

How do you guys decide where to put your fielders when you come on to bowl? I am assuming that it is a case of setting a standard ring field and then tweaking it for where the ball normally goes off you.

This is something I am just starting to think about now, as I'm still trying to get an idea of where I'll normally get hit in the air, and so where I need my catchers. I bowl relatively slow (so don't need slip), usually straight at off stump (and a couple of ball widths either side ;) ) so I often get hit straight down the ground (with varying degrees of airness). So I think I either need a long on or a long off. And for a ball that's a bit looser either have extra cover deepish, with a man at short cover - or deep midwicket with a man short on the on side (swap depending on where the batsman likes to hit - usually leg side at my level).

So my field:
+Mid On,
*Short Midwicket,
*Deep Extra Midwicket?,
Square Leg,
Fine leg (at about 45),
Shortish Third Man,
Backward Point,
*Cover,
+Long Off

Where the * and + fielders can swap depending on the batsman.

So what does your field look like? And what are your strategic fielders?

Re: Setting a field

Mid On
Mid Off
First Slip
Second Slip
Gully
Point
Cover
Mid Wicket
Square Leg or Fine Leg, but usually Fine Leg.

i guess alot of it depends on the batsmen and what you are trying to acheive!

and its also worth listening to your keeper as they generally have the best view of the game!

In the 2nd XI I open the bowling and usually have the standard ring (Mid-off, mid-on, cover, point, squarish midwicket, fine leg) with 2 slips and a gully, who drops to 3rd man if needed.

In the 1st XI I bowl to whatever field the captain wants me to bowl to because he's a lot more experienced than me and is a bowler too.

Being a Left arm spinner;These fielders are the key & fixed placed on my bowling:
Wicketkeeper,Deep 3rd man,Point,Cover,Deep Extra Cover,Long off,Midwicket.
The rest of the fielder's position are changed according to the match situation.
Secondly;slip & close-in fielders are placed according to game plan.

I was playing for our 2nd 11 at the weekend (normally play for 4ths), and I got a bowl. I wasn't confident enough to tell the captain where to put the field though. Turns out I should have, as in my first over I gave away two 4s over my head that bounced where long off would have been standing :cursing:
I'll make sure I do it next week!

Hmm, "Experience" eh? Sounds like one of them new-agey buzz words to me. You can't trust words with x's in them, I say ;) :D

Does anyone leave a deliberate gap in the field when they start? Maybe to entice the batsman to play at the ball instead of leaving the first few like he'd prefer to usually? Maybe a nice big juicy hole in the covers?

Yeah it could happen but depends mostly on the bowlers & captain's confidence and game plan.
As a bowler we do try to take risk in order to get a wicket.
I try to keep gaps on the leg side so batsmen can get excited to take risk of playing against the spin and a top edge catch to me or towards point.

Back